Earbuds Round-Up
Jul 2, 2019 at 10:25 PM Post #43,306 of 75,150
Just received my first 2 pairs of "cheapo buds" from Amazon courtesy of reading this thread. Initial impressions are not what I expected; a good reminder that trying the cheapest or most readily available options first is always warranted before investing in something that's harder or costlier to get your hands on!

Sennheiser MX365 - I've been using these for years, so this is my reference point. They've always been acceptable/good for me, without knowing any better. After comparison with the below, I find these are relatively *more* balanced on EQ (stronger mids) and have a reasonably forward/flat soundstage, which is something I actually prefer. However, they've been described as muddy in multiple HF posts, and I kind of see why now. Still, if these were still available for $10-15, I might just stock up on more of these and turn away from this rabbit hole!

Edifier H180 - these were widely described as among the most balanced options of the bunch, likely to be at least acceptable for everyone, with perhaps some tendency toward a V-shape EQ. To me, they clearly have a wider soundstage (reminiscent of Senn HD cans I've tried) than the other two. Being that I mainly listen to heavy rock, I don't love this characteristic. Still, they sound good... although the V-shape might be a bit much, and the highs become slightly fatiguing at high volume (even as someone who prefers Klipsch speakers).

FAAEAL Datura X - with a much more polarizing reputation, I figured I'd have a strong reaction here. They're probably my least favorite of the 3, but only by a little. One thing I noticed is they sound awesome at low volume, when you're not expecting any bass to begin with. High-mids and treble are simply glorious up until you reach high volumes. But man, bass is nonexistent, no matter the volume. I'm not a basshead, but I still don't know that I can abide this! I think these will work great in my office, where I usually need to keep volume low... they also leak less than the others due to the metal design.

So I come away from dipping my toes in the water more conflicted than I expected. Based on some of the talk here, I expected just about anything new would best the old MX365... but neither of these did convincingly, to my ear. Instead, it's a matter of many tradeoffs between the 3. I frequently listen at volumes above what I probably should, and I actually have to give the edge to the Senns in holding up best when pushed like that.

I'm planning on putting in an order for several of the favorites (EMX500, RY4S, etc.) at AliExpress... but considering the 3-4 week ship time, I'd like to give Amazon at least one more shot to put something on my doorstep in 2 days that will convince me no further searching is warranted. The only other options are the FAAEAL Iris 1.0 and 2.0, and the Snow-Lotus 1.0, 1.0+, and 2.0. If anyone has tried more than one of that group, any thoughts on which is the most balanced overall? The biggest thing I learned today is that "too bright" actually is a point even I can reach, but I still don't think I'd enjoy something that's super dark or rolled off. If I had to describe what I'm after, it would be something like a cleaner MX365 or a Datura X with more bass and low-mids. Balanced, clear, forward, fast, flat soundtage.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2019 at 11:01 PM Post #43,307 of 75,150
Just received my first 2 pairs of "cheapo buds" from Amazon courtesy of reading this thread. Initial impressions are not what I expected; a good reminder that trying the cheapest or most readily available options first is always warranted before investing in something that's harder or costlier to get your hands on!

Sennheiser MX365 - I've been using these for years, so this is my reference point. They've always been acceptable/good for me, without knowing any better. After comparison with the below, I find these are relatively *more* balanced on EQ (stronger mids) and have a reasonably forward/flat soundstage, which is something I actually prefer. However, they've been described as muddy in multiple HF posts, and I kind of see why now. Still, if these were still available for $10-15, I might just stock up on more of these and turn away from this rabbit hole!

Edifier H180 - these were widely described as among the most balanced options of the bunch, likely to be at least acceptable for everyone, with perhaps some tendency toward a V-shape EQ. To me, they clearly have a wider soundstage (reminiscent of Senn HD cans I've tried) than the other two. Being that I mainly listen to heavy rock, I don't love this characteristic. Still, they sound good... although the V-shape might be a bit much, and the highs become slightly fatiguing at high volume (even as someone who prefers Klipsch speakers).

FAAEAL Datura X - with a much more polarizing reputation, I figured I'd have a strong reaction here. They're probably my least favorite of the 3, but only by a little. One thing I noticed is they sound awesome at low volume, when you're not expecting any bass to begin with. High-mids and treble are simply glorious up until you reach high volumes. But man, bass is nonexistent, no matter the volume. I'm not a basshead, but I still don't know that I can abide this! I think these will work great in my office, where I usually need to keep volume low... they also leak less than the others due to the metal design.

So I come away from dipping my toes in the water more conflicted than I expected. Based on some of the talk here, I expected just about anything new would best the old MX365... but neither of these did convincingly, to my ear. Instead, it's a matter of many tradeoffs between the 3. I frequently listen at volumes above what I probably should, and I actually have to give the edge to the Senns in holding up best when pushed like that.

I'm planning on putting in an order for several of the favorites (EMX500, RY4S, etc.) at AliExpress... but considering the 3-4 week ship time, I'd like to give Amazon at least one more shot to put something on my doorstep in 2 days that will convince me no further searching is warranted. The only other options are the FAAEAL Iris 1.0 and 2.0, and the Snow-Lotus 1.0, 1.0+, and 2.0. If anyone has tried more than one of that group, any thoughts on which is the most balanced overall? The biggest thing I learned today is that "too bright" actually is a point even I can reach, but I still don't think I'd enjoy something that's super dark or rolled off. If I had to describe what I'm after, it would be something like a cleaner MX365 or a Datura X with more bass and low-mids. Balanced, clear, forward, fast, flat soundtage.
Are you using foams on them? I really dislike overly bright earbuds too. I cannot stand a lack of bass and low mid presence to balance the sound.

Snow lotus 1.0+ gave me beyerdynamic vibes, but without that piercing treble or strong bass. It's a little bass light but not anemic, just soft and below the level of the treble, mids are slightly lean and the highs are airy and slightly emphasised in the mid-upper treble (that's why I think they sound like the beyer 1350s i have which aren't the brightest of beyers but still airy). These might be awesome candidates for modding, the stock tuning probably isn't exactly what you're after though.

RY4S has also neutralish tight mid bass but lacks the extension and impact (a very good candidate for a bass port mod which notably increases the bass impact and depth), slightly dipped low mid, slightly too agressive upper mids but a good balance in the treble. They sound a bit narrow and forward.

Emx500 is bassy, that warm and full bass but not exactly tight or as impressively deep hitting as some other bassy earbuds a wide but mild dip in the low mids up to the main vocal range, but raises in the upper mids and lower treble to give a full treble, decent air and extension.

You're looking for neutral I'm guessing. Budget earbuds usually don't offer that in STOCK. I think you'd be better off looking at docomo-pk earbuds as they have more forward and tonally balanced mids and soundstaging that's more intimate/forward.

The bass on docomo's isnt the deepest but has enough body and punch at least my cygnus did. The highs are full bodied and sparkle. A little emphasis in the low treble but nothing offensive.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2019 at 12:02 AM Post #43,308 of 75,150
Balanced, clear, forward, fast, flat soundtage.

You may need to try something like the EBX. Problem is it's normally 7-10x the cost of the cheaper buds. It's balanced, clear, forward and fast. I couldn't say on soundstage being flat but it is good.

The EB2 or maybe the ME80 may also work. I haven't heard the EB2 so can't say for sure and my ME80 (lucky bag) is still on the way.

Jul 3, 2019 at 12:32 AM Post #43,309 of 75,150
You may need to try something like the EBX. Problem is it's normally 7-10x the cost of the cheaper buds. It's balanced, clear, forward and fast. I couldn't say on soundstage being flat but it is good.

The EB2 or maybe the ME80 may also work. I haven't heard the EB2 so can't say for sure and my ME80 (lucky bag) is still on the way.
Concur, you should give the ME80 a try... real bang for the buck earbuds IMHO. Maybe @mbwilson111 @HungryPanda will chime in on this one when they are awake.

Jul 3, 2019 at 1:23 AM Post #43,311 of 75,150
Interested to hear impressions of the 300ohm!
Unfortunately those are stuck at the post office for now... The postman didnt bother to ring the doorbell and decided to leave a "delivery failed" notice in the letterbox instead. So now I have to go in person to collect them, probably sometime this week

At least I have the ME80

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2019 at 3:42 AM Post #43,313 of 75,150
My RY4S MMCX Plus arrived earlier today. I am very happy with the sound. I have a balanced cable for it but using the adapter I have just been listening out the regular output of my Cayin N3. Everything sounds good on the Cayin N3

I think these will become one of my favorites. I do think that mmcx connectors sticking out of a Monk type shell looks a little weird.

Which cable is it? :)

Jul 3, 2019 at 4:02 AM Post #43,314 of 75,150

I actually agree with you. When I realised my ears can not handle IEMs, these were the first decent earbuds I could get hold of that weren't from the supermarket and they have a balanced, pleasing sound. Compared to my Yincrows for example they do sound a bit muddy but their ability brought a smile to my face more than once.

Now they are just my back-ups. Currently trying to gauge what I think of my Audio-Technica ATH-J100s.

Jul 3, 2019 at 5:38 AM Post #43,315 of 75,150
My 300 ohm ones have fallen into the black hole that is Atherstone RDC
My local post office has really terrible service. The postmen have been caught throwing away mails and parcels in the bin because they were too lazy to deliver them. When I got a delivery failed notification from aliexpress I instantly thought of that!

Jul 3, 2019 at 7:02 AM Post #43,317 of 75,150
My RY4S MMCX Plus arrived earlier today. I am very happy with the sound. I have a balanced cable for it but using the adapter I have just been listening out the regular output of my Cayin N3. Everything sounds good on the Cayin N3

I think these will become one of my favorites. I do think that mmcx connectors sticking out of a Monk type shell looks a little weird.

How does it stack with UE ?

Jul 3, 2019 at 7:51 AM Post #43,319 of 75,150
Mine have also entered this mystical place I wonder if they will ever make it out alive?
I have two parcel went there by mistake in the last week and I always worry as one went there in August 2018 and was never seen again

Jul 3, 2019 at 8:15 AM Post #43,320 of 75,150
My local post office has really terrible service. The postmen have been caught throwing away mails and parcels in the bin because they were too lazy to deliver them. When I got a delivery failed notification from aliexpress I instantly thought of that!
Seriously? That's a new low.

Makes me respect my local postman and lady even more now. At most the delivery is late, but it always arrives.

For me, it's some of the delivery service couriers that are dodgy, leaving parcels at the door without ringing the doorbell, damaging parcels because they don't care about the handling of them etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back