Earbuds Round-Up
Jun 8, 2019 at 1:25 AM Post #42,616 of 75,620
Hi guys can anyone recommend best earbuds under 150 for best full lush sound , good bass and mids , and value for money? Sorry I am not great at describing sound. Or is there a latest updated best earbud list that you can recommend to look at? Thanks in advance

Jun 8, 2019 at 1:44 AM Post #42,617 of 75,620
Zeva Superfire. It is finally here. Simply amazing.

912fc573309099a035a9286737020310-full.jpg
Nice!
I should be receiving mine mid next week.
I just realize taobao is an excellent source to buy some made in China audio products and they are cheaper than buying from other sources

Jun 8, 2019 at 3:55 AM Post #42,618 of 75,620
If you want to get really technical you can try a special trick I used on my rose mojito for awhile to tame brightness and improve seal.

You need this double sided 3mm tape https://www.aliexpress.com/item/-/32878690067.html

You need 1 full foam cut into a flat disk (remove the back part so its just a flat circle/disk)

Then you need one more foam, either full, donut or multi hole modded.

Here's what to do:

You apply some tape around the edge of the earbud cover and remove the film to reveal both sticky sides, put the flat disk of foam over the front covering the driver area and press it down on the sticky tape on all the edge parimeter. This will secure the foam disk to the earbud.

Now you apply the final foam over the earbud. Try a full foam first, and if its too dull sounding try donut or multi hole to bring back some treble.

The result is a foam that is thicker and has more dampening to reduce treble, but isn't too bulky on the sides or back so as to cause discomfort or a bad fit.

@seanc6441 wow - that sounds very intricate! Having spent the last 20mins trying unsuccessfully to get a doughnut over a foam I may not have the dexterity for either task. I'm going back for round 2 with the doughnut, I will not be defeated!!

get good cable with extra bass notes or the one which underlines the bass more)

@RuFrost tried the cable from the iBasso IT01 and it does take the edge off (the smabat cable on the IT01 calms the bass down so it's a good swap). I can still hear a big difference when i gently rest a finger on the top of the Smabat so hopefully the cable + foam / doughnut tweak will be the one :slight_smile:

Jun 8, 2019 at 8:30 AM Post #42,622 of 75,620
@seanc6441 wow - that sounds very intricate! Having spent the last 20mins trying unsuccessfully to get a doughnut over a foam I may not have the dexterity for either task. I'm going back for round 2 with the doughnut, I will not be defeated!!
Make sure you stretch it first, then put it on all the way over and try to fit it by pulling it towards you.

Jun 8, 2019 at 9:32 AM Post #42,623 of 75,620
The cable on my old PureSounds PS100-600S 600Ω is dying... thinking on either re-cabling or simply replacing them with a pair of PureSounds PS-100 500Ω or K's K600/K500 as I desire the same ear-friendly sound signature. Any/all advice welcome.

if you or someone can recable it without messing with the original tuning, then recable it would be better. K's and Puresound have a different tuning, usually K's have really warm midbass while puresound is more neutral

You've built custom grados, recabling these buds should be a breeze for you :). I say recable them! You can use the same thickness cable to not distrupt the tuning.
Well that was a grand disaster... I destroyed my PureSounds in a feeble attempt to re-wire them. Way too small for my unsteady hands and cheapo soldering iron. LOL.

Now I need to figure out a replacement for them :thinking:... any suggestions for a warm (almost dark) sounding ear bud for very long listening sessions.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2019 at 9:44 AM Post #42,624 of 75,620
Well that was a grand disaster... I destroyed my PureSounds in a feeble attempt to re-wire them. Way too small for my unsteady hands and cheapo soldering iron. LOL.

Now I need to figure out a replacement for them :thinking:... any suggestions for a warm (almost dark) sounding ear bud for very long listening sessions.

If you are on FB, join Earbuds Anonymous if you have not already. There are so many guys on there making buds in Thailand, Indonesia and other places. Someone on there might have a suggestion or even be able to make one for you. The photos on that site are phenomenal.

How much did the PureSounds cost?

Jun 8, 2019 at 10:06 AM Post #42,625 of 75,620

ooh dear... sorry to hear that..
the darker buds that i can think of would be Zen 2, Ty Hi 650, Willsound MK 300.
also Svara L and Samsara with thick foams might also fit the bill.

Jun 8, 2019 at 10:16 AM Post #42,626 of 75,620

I was listening to my Ty Hi-z 320 ohm bud earlier and that would fit your description

Jun 8, 2019 at 10:21 AM Post #42,627 of 75,620
If you are on FB, join Earbuds Anonymous if you have not already. There are so many guys on there making buds in Thailand, Indonesia and other places. Someone on there might have a suggestion or even be able to make one for you. The photos on that site are phenomenal.
Unfortunately no FB account for this old fart but thank you for the kind suggestion.
How much did the PureSounds cost?
They were the flagship edition PS100-600S + 600-core copper cable so about USD $150-175 new.

Jun 8, 2019 at 10:22 AM Post #42,628 of 75,620

Users who are viewing this thread

Back