Earbuds Round-Up
Jun 8, 2019 at 8:43 PM Post #42,646 of 75,879
Seems everyone and their cousin is releasing SMABAT ST-10 reviews today. Well, here's mine.

Head-fi / The Contraptionist

P1020825.JPG P1020832.JPG P1020836.JPG

Jun 9, 2019 at 1:36 AM Post #42,647 of 75,879
How can I find out if I have the original or the revised version of the Smabat ST-10. I have been afraid to take off the original cable to maybe try a balanced cable because I don't know if I will loosen or break something. If I do have the original version, I assume I should ask for the revised version. Would that be done with the seller or directly through Smabat?

The original mmcx connector on the earbuds are no different than most others on the market (earbuds or iems). The original cable ground is split into 4 and is not very stable or strong against bending movement. That lack of strength/stability at the cable end, combined with a soft storage pouch which allows more stress is IMO the cause of the problem that some have had.

Granted, the new mmcx connector is the best I've seen on any IEM or earbud thus far. It has a collar that comes up around the hollow split center pin to prevent spreading of it and loss of good contact.

If you pull straight back from the connector or use the tools @HungryPanda recommended (and has), popping the mmcx loose should have no issues.

The smaller of the two (diamond file was to smooth the rough edges):
20190604_213133.jpg
20190604_212832.jpg

I contacted the seller, who contacted Smabat. Smabat provided the seller the replacements that the seller shipped to me.

I've got the original ST-10 (listening to them right now) - but I never tried connecting the stock cable (have been using my NiceHCK 16-Core Balanced & Un-Balanced cables).

You'll probably be ok then. Just store them in a case and not a pouch.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2019 at 3:13 PM Post #42,651 of 75,879
@activatorfly

I wish the lg v30 had a line out function so you could stack some portable amps or even a desk amp to it to get some versatility of power and color/tonality.

I'd like to get into portable amps but I'd have to buy a new source first with line out.

Now that i have a flac collection I might be able to venture into that area and keep my v30 for streaming/music discovery.

I love the technical aspects of the V30 sound and the clean accurate dac but sometimes id like a little more warmth which i feel the v30's amp stage doesn't really offer.

Jun 9, 2019 at 5:20 PM Post #42,652 of 75,879
@activatorfly

I wish the lg v30 had a line out function so you could stack some portable amps or even a desk amp to it to get some versatility of power and color/tonality.

I'd like to get into portable amps but I'd have to buy a new source first with line out.

Now that i have a flac collection I might be able to venture into that area and keep my v30 for streaming/music discovery.

I love the technical aspects of the V30 sound and the clean accurate dac but sometimes id like a little more warmth which i feel the v30's amp stage doesn't really offer.
Isn't it possible to use the lg v30's 3.5mm output or USB-C to headphone to jack adaptor? I guess though that line out would be ideal & less susceptible to interference? FLAC files definitely make a huge difference imho - been building upon my collection more intensively over the last 3 years! The format certainly reveals way more sound-stage "air"....along with extra micro details & nuances in electronica & soundscapes - whilst still retaining an analogue warmth (akin to vinyl) for down-tempo jazz / classical & vocals.....
Having tried out several portable amps, NX4 has a superb price/performance ratio, delivering 293mW (32 ohms) or 114mW (300 ohms) - hence I can also easily drive full-sized cans - such as Sennheiser HD 58X.
Battery life is 28 hours playback as headphone amp and 7.5 hours as a DAC.....plus with two micro-usb-ins means that you can charge the amp whilst it's being used as a dac! :)

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2019 at 5:24 PM Post #42,653 of 75,879
@activatorfly

Try V30+Fiio A5

Jun 9, 2019 at 5:41 PM Post #42,655 of 75,879
Jun 9, 2019 at 6:16 PM Post #42,658 of 75,879
Isn't it possible to use the lg v30's 3.5mm output or USB-C to headphone to jack adaptor? I guess though that line out would be ideal & less susceptible to interference? FLAC files definitely make a huge difference imho - been building upon my collection more intensively over the last 3 years! The format certainly reveals way more sound-stage "air"....along with extra micro details & nuances in electronica & soundscapes - whilst still retaining an analogue warmth (akin to vinyl) for down-tempo jazz / classical & vocals.....
Having tried out several portable amps, NX4 has a superb price/performance ratio, delivering 293mW (32 ohms) or 114mW (300 ohms) - hence I can also easily drive full-sized cans - such as Sennheiser HD 58X.
Battery life is 28 hours playback as headphone amp and 7.5 hours as a DAC.....plus with two micro-usb-ins means that you can charge the amp whilst it's being used as a dac! :)
I suppose i could but then I'd be double amping or if i used the usb out id have to connect an amp - dac combo to the chain only using the phone as a the music player interface.

Seems illogical to put effort into building a flac library and getting a nice stack only to double amp and lose some quality that way. I think id

I'll probably pick up a small player down the line and add a portable amp or invest in a desk amp/dac if i decide to get into full size headphones (which im tempted to).

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2019 at 6:57 PM Post #42,659 of 75,879
Seems illogical to put effort into building a flac library and getting a nice stack only to double amp and lose some quality that way. I think id

double amping is not necessarily synonymous with loosing signal quality.. well it can turn ugly fast if one don't know what they're doing, but with the the right amps and the right amount gain mix between the amps, it might produce an interesting pleasant output.
recording sessions they do that all the time(stacking amps/preamps, even stacking EQs and other similar effects) even to this day of digital plugins.
experiments are fun :ksc75smile:

Jun 9, 2019 at 7:14 PM Post #42,660 of 75,879
double amping is not necessarily synonymous with loosing signal quality.. well it can turn ugly fast if one don't know what they're doing, but with the the right amps and the right amount gain mix between the amps, it might produce an interesting pleasant output.
recording sessions they do that all the time(stacking amps/preamps, even stacking EQs and other similar effects) even to this day of digital plugins.
experiments are fun :ksc75smile:
Totally agree!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back