Earbuds Round-Up
Mar 9, 2019 at 2:01 AM Post #40,591 of 75,297
I was going to suggest that you get the Yincrow RW9. But then I read that you solved your dilemma - nicely done!

When does my recabled ry4s ue arrive? :)

Let me know where to send and I’ll get one over to you right away... for a reasonable price :p

Mar 9, 2019 at 2:42 AM Post #40,592 of 75,297

I got the ry4s ue a few months back after all the hype and unfortunately it was a bit disappointing for me. Really wasn’t my cup of tea; treble is peaky, vocals are shouty and all over the place/not centered, and though the bass had good amount of thump, it was very one dimensional and loose.. like having the same bass note and lacking nuance from song to song. I basically left it alone except for when the occasional positive impression makes me bring it out again only to confirm my initial thoughts. Maybe I got a bad one or I’m just spoiled with the other gear.

I didn’t give up on them however and, finally, I was able to get it outfitted with mmcx connectors, pairing it with a much better spc cable and the difference is massive..

This was the sound I was originally expecting! Clarity and resolution much improved, soundstage is excellent and more cohesive with vocals not too far nor close. Its still slightly v-shaped but not severely. I can see these being one of my daily drivers now instead of collecting dust in my bin..

Thank you! I thought I was going crazy not enjoying their sound, even though I thought the cable and plug looked and felt fantastic.

Is it difficult to do an mmcx connector surgery on them? I've only soldered (very badly) a few times to fix my laptop's power connector back. Do you need a helping hand?

Mar 9, 2019 at 10:16 AM Post #40,593 of 75,297

I got the ry4s ue a few months back after all the hype and unfortunately it was a bit disappointing for me. Really wasn’t my cup of tea; treble is peaky, vocals are shouty and all over the place/not centered, and though the bass had good amount of thump, it was very one dimensional and loose.. like having the same bass note and lacking nuance from song to song. I basically left it alone except for when the occasional positive impression makes me bring it out again only to confirm my initial thoughts. Maybe I got a bad one or I’m just spoiled with the other gear.

I didn’t give up on them however and, finally, I was able to get it outfitted with mmcx connectors, pairing it with a much better spc cable and the difference is massive..

This was the sound I was originally expecting! Clarity and resolution much improved, soundstage is excellent and more cohesive with vocals not too far nor close. Its still slightly v-shaped but not severely. I can see these being one of my daily drivers now instead of collecting dust in my bin..

What other changes did you make? A different cable should only make a subtle difference in the sound signature.

Mar 9, 2019 at 2:48 PM Post #40,595 of 75,297
What other changes did you make? A different cable should only make a subtle difference in the sound signature.
Well for one if he didn't compensate for sealing the cable port by opening the second port the sound would possibly change quiet considerably.

Mar 9, 2019 at 2:49 PM Post #40,596 of 75,297
Did anybody compare Penon BS1 Official to Toneking TO400 ?
I've owned both. I prefer the BS1. The TO400s is slightly more neutral but lacks a pleasant bass thump.

And to my ears the To600 is the superior earbud to the to400 because it has respectable bass, equally proficient mids and treble (although I'd say vocals pop more on the 600 slightly) and it's roughly the same price if you look around).

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2019 at 4:51 PM Post #40,597 of 75,297
Just received a pair of Snow Lotus 1.0 today (black cable, smoked transparent shell), I gotta say in terms of budget/build quality ratio these are a steal. Very impressed with Faaeal, looking forward to the 1.0+ commemorative editions coming in the mail.

Kube update, I think I like the Kube v2 sound more than the v1 after burn-in, but the flat cable on the v2 knocks the buds out of my ears often. Compared to my other buds the vocals on the v1 sound a tad muddy, but the bass is very very enjoyable. I'm not experienced in giving sound impressions so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Also wanted to take a chance to thank you all for the great recommendations, I get easily bored and finding this thread has really livened up my selection at work. Everything I've tried from this thread has been awesome, minus the Tiandirenhe wooden buds which I still can't listen to after over 150hrs of burn-in, but I don't think anyone actually recommended those. :ksc75smile:

Mar 9, 2019 at 5:34 PM Post #40,598 of 75,297
Everything I've tried from this thread has been awesome, minus the Tiandirenhe wooden buds which I still can't listen to after over 150hrs of burn-in, but I don't think anyone actually recommended those. :ksc75smile:

Actually....

R0014163.JPG

I love mine but as you can see, I am not using the stock cable. This cable is balanced... too heavy to walk around with but great when relaxing with music from the balanced output of my Onkyo DP-X1.

I also love the ones you liked.. the Faaeal (I have several models all in my list). the Kube1 and 2... and many others Priced from $3 to about $60 ( I think... maybe less on sale). edit: My Blur was more... around $90 I think... I try to forget that I spent that much:)

Just received the Headroom MS16 today. Sounding good so far... burning in at the moment.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2019 at 6:35 PM Post #40,599 of 75,297
... Everything I've tried from this thread has been awesome, minus the Tiandirenhe wooden buds which I still can't listen to after over 150hrs of burn-in, but I don't think anyone actually recommended those. :ksc75smile:

I ordered a set on 26-NOV-16, when they were called Daik Wooden Earbuds - and while they don't have a lot of low Bass, I do like their Midrange & Treble response.
Their small size also means that they fit better than most of my other earbuds (I wear the cables over-the-ear).
Looking forward to hearing how they sound, when driven by this new Little Bear B4-X (Dual Mono, with Balanced 2.5mm TRRS Output) Tube Amplifier that I've ordered. (should be here in ~3 weeks)
61VX26zUswL._SL1200_.jpg

Mar 9, 2019 at 6:43 PM Post #40,600 of 75,297
I ordered a set on 26-NOV-16, when they were called Daik Wooden Earbuds - and while they don't have a lot of low Bass, I do like their Midrange & Treble response.
Their small size also means that they fit better than most of my other earbuds (I wear the cables over-the-ear).
Looking forward to hearing how they sound, when driven by this new Little Bear B4-X (Dual Mono, with Balanced 2.5mm TRRS Output) Tube Amplifier that I've ordered. (should be here in ~3 weeks)
61VX26zUswL._SL1200_.jpg

That thing is so cute you are making me want it. But, I don't need it... I have a couple of SS portable amps and my tube amp in the living room and my nice dac/amp at my desk. How many amps does a person need? Also I am not sure if most of my daps actually need more power. Some of them are quite powerful on their own...

Mar 9, 2019 at 8:22 PM Post #40,601 of 75,297
Just received a pair of Snow Lotus 1.0 today (black cable, smoked transparent shell), I gotta say in terms of budget/build quality ratio these are a steal. Very impressed with Faaeal, looking forward to the 1.0+ commemorative editions coming in the mail.

Kube update, I think I like the Kube v2 sound more than the v1 after burn-in, but the flat cable on the v2 knocks the buds out of my ears often. Compared to my other buds the vocals on the v1 sound a tad muddy, but the bass is very very enjoyable. I'm not experienced in giving sound impressions so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Also wanted to take a chance to thank you all for the great recommendations, I get easily bored and finding this thread has really livened up my selection at work. Everything I've tried from this thread has been awesome, minus the Tiandirenhe wooden buds which I still can't listen to after over 150hrs of burn-in, but I don't think anyone actually recommended those. :ksc75smile:
Kube V1 foamless and modded sounded really good to my ears. It definitely sounds better foamless as the vocals come alive and sound richer. But there's still more potential to be had by modding them to sound more open which improves the mids a lot.

The earbud goes from fun and bassy tuned with stock tuning and foams, to sounding like a smooth, balanced sounding open back headphone with this wide and tall soundstage and tonally accurate midrange and treble. That's the kube V1 that wow'd me.

Whereas the stock earbud was a pleasant surprise but nothing to gush over, those drivers have some real potential for modding.

Only caveat is the bass is more on the warm and lush side than the tight and precise side. But i don't really care because the earbud sounds bloody massive and immersive yet relaxing and silky smooth. It definitely lets you forget your listening to a tiny driver and I could be fooled that the sound was not being produced from a 40+mm dynamic driver headphone.

And as I said above, modded it's one of the few buds I own that actually has a sense of height in the soundstage, probably due to how complete the frequency range is, with no significant drop offs or killer peaks to distrupt the imaging. On grand-large scale sounding tracks the sound just fills the space left to right and top to bottom.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2019 at 8:47 PM Post #40,602 of 75,297
Last edited:
Mar 9, 2019 at 9:21 PM Post #40,603 of 75,297
So I got the Yincrow X6 and the RW-9 today, and I can't really tell much of difference. there is one, but I can't really pinpoint what it is. But its minor enough where It doesn't matter too much to the music I tested it with (Time - Pink Floyd, Letter - Yosi, Enter Sandman - Metallica, Limit to your Love, and a song from Lorde.)

The bass is amazing and clear though. mids are clean and highs are strong but not overwhelming or sibiliant. The sound much better than the Sennheisers.

I might go with the X6's just because they are cheaper.

Mar 9, 2019 at 11:16 PM Post #40,605 of 75,297
So I got the Yincrow X6 and the RW-9 today, and I can't really tell much of difference. there is one, but I can't really pinpoint what it is. But its minor enough where It doesn't matter too much to the music I tested it with (Time - Pink Floyd, Letter - Yosi, Enter Sandman - Metallica, Limit to your Love, and a song from Lorde.)

The bass is amazing and clear though. mids are clean and highs are strong but not overwhelming or sibiliant. The sound much better than the Sennheisers.

I might go with the X6's just because they are cheaper.

Did you try this version of "Enter Sandman"? :ksc75smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back