Earbuds Round-Up
Mar 10, 2019 at 1:23 AM Post #40,606 of 75,289
Thank you! I thought I was going crazy not enjoying their sound, even though I thought the cable and plug looked and felt fantastic.

Is it difficult to do an mmcx connector surgery on them? I've only soldered (very badly) a few times to fix my laptop's power connector back. Do you need a helping hand?

I’ve had the same ry4s ue cable on other earbuds that I’ve never been a fan of so to me that’s the main issue. Adding mmcx is not too bad, just need the connectors, a decent soldering tip and some practice. You can get away with using a strong clip instead of helping hands, so it’s not as necessary. Pm me if you want more info.

What other changes did you make? A different cable should only make a subtle difference in the sound signature.

Just the port hole for now

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2019 at 1:39 AM Post #40,607 of 75,289
How do I know when I'm buying thick vs thin earbud cushions? I need the thick type. What brand should I look for? Any help would be appreciated.

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32671911259.html

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32607003829.html

Just got these a couple weeks ago. They are the thicker ones, as far as I can tell it's the same foams.

They are denser than the cheaper aliexpress foams I got previously. Not sure how they compare to the VE or Heigi foams.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2019 at 6:38 AM Post #40,608 of 75,289
How do I know when I'm buying thick vs thin earbud cushions? I need the thick type. What brand should I look for? Any help would be appreciated.
https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32671911259.html

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32607003829.html

Just got these a couple weeks ago. They are the thicker ones, as far as I can tell it's the same foams.

They are denser than the cheaper aliexpress foams I got previously. Not sure how they compare to the VE or Heigi foams.

I have those Trig Rain ones in a few colors. Love the quality.

Mar 10, 2019 at 9:52 AM Post #40,610 of 75,289
Mar 10, 2019 at 10:58 AM Post #40,611 of 75,289
That thing is so cute you are making me want it. But, I don't need it... I have a couple of SS portable amps and my tube amp in the living room and my nice dac/amp at my desk. How many amps does a person need? Also I am not sure if most of my daps actually need more power. Some of them are quite powerful on their own...

Always one more than you have...

Mar 10, 2019 at 11:35 AM Post #40,612 of 75,289
What is the most engaging earbuds you know ?
Like a super emx500 ?
I currently have a Willsound MK1 SE i really like but sometimes I wish something more energetic.
By the way it doesn't mean bright.
My current IEM is Andromeda. Clear engaging but never bright
Thanks
Kube V1 modded, K's Ling, Rose Mojito modded.

The Blox Yin foamless sort of sounds like a super emx500, but it's smoother and more relaxed slightly so I won't class it as an energetic sound.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2019 at 1:00 PM Post #40,613 of 75,289
Which is thinner or thicker than standard ones

Both of those link to the 'thicker' foams. They are a slightly more dense, softer feeling foam vs the thinner more porous (and somewhat itchy) foams.

These are the thinner ones.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/30P...acement-For-Earphone-MP3-MP4/32909795959.html

Here's closeup pics of the two.

'thicker'
HTB1lkFOLFXXXXaVXpXXq6xXFXXXp.jpg

'thinner'
30Pcs-Sponge-Covers-Tips-Black-Soft-Foam-Earbud-Headphone-Ear-pads-Replacement-For-Earphone-MP3-MP4.jpg

Mar 10, 2019 at 1:02 PM Post #40,614 of 75,289
Both of those link to the 'thicker' foams. They are a slightly more dense, softer feeling foam vs the thinner more porous (and somewhat itchy) foams.

That is one reason I like the Trig Rain ones... they don't itch. The ones that come with Faaeals and some others are also nice.

Mar 10, 2019 at 1:35 PM Post #40,615 of 75,289
Kube V1 modded, K's Ling, Rose Mojito modded.

The Blox Yin foamless sort of sounds like a super emx500, but it's smoother and more relaxed slightly so I won't class it as an energetic sound.

thanks. Which Ling are you refering to? the black? the brass? the black is out of my budget for earbuds anyway

Mar 10, 2019 at 5:24 PM Post #40,616 of 75,289
thanks. Which Ling are you refering to? the black? the brass? the black is out of my budget for earbuds anyway
Black Ling.

But I'm still modding it to tame a big peak in the vocal range because it gets fatiguing after awhile. If it didnt have that peak it would be really nice with thin foams. Smooth but energetic treble, forward detailed vocals (bit too agressive), full deep bass.

With the mod to open up the shell more, bass and low mids get slightly warmer, vocals balance out slightly but retain it's sweet vocal range, slightly softer treble.

With the shell open and using thin foams or foamless the sound is still very sweet and energetic but has better balance overall and no crazy peak in the mids.

Mar 10, 2019 at 9:00 PM Post #40,617 of 75,289
Just received a pair of Snow Lotus 1.0 today (black cable, smoked transparent shell), I gotta say in terms of budget/build quality ratio these are a steal. Very impressed with Faaeal, looking forward to the 1.0+ commemorative editions coming in the mail.

Kube update, I think I like the Kube v2 sound more than the v1 after burn-in, but the flat cable on the v2 knocks the buds out of my ears often. Compared to my other buds the vocals on the v1 sound a tad muddy, but the bass is very very enjoyable. I'm not experienced in giving sound impressions so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Also wanted to take a chance to thank you all for the great recommendations, I get easily bored and finding this thread has really livened up my selection at work. Everything I've tried from this thread has been awesome, minus the Tiandirenhe wooden buds which I still can't listen to after over 150hrs of burn-in, but I don't think anyone actually recommended those. :ksc75smile:

Glad you're enjoying the kubes! Fwiw, I have the same problem with the kube2 cable. But it sounds great (and unique).

Kube V1 foamless and modded sounded really good to my ears. It definitely sounds better foamless as the vocals come alive and sound richer. But there's still more potential to be had by modding them to sound more open which improves the mids a lot.

The earbud goes from fun and bassy tuned with stock tuning and foams, to sounding like a smooth, balanced sounding open back headphone with this wide and tall soundstage and tonally accurate midrange and treble. That's the kube V1 that wow'd me.

Whereas the stock earbud was a pleasant surprise but nothing to gush over, those drivers have some real potential for modding.

Only caveat is the bass is more on the warm and lush side than the tight and precise side. But i don't really care because the earbud sounds bloody massive and immersive yet relaxing and silky smooth. It definitely lets you forget your listening to a tiny driver and I could be fooled that the sound was not being produced from a 40+mm dynamic driver headphone.

And as I said above, modded it's one of the few buds I own that actually has a sense of height in the soundstage, probably due to how complete the frequency range is, with no significant drop offs or killer peaks to distrupt the imaging. On grand-large scale sounding tracks the sound just fills the space left to right and top to bottom.

I think I'll have to look for that kube1 mod of your again!

So I got the Yincrow X6 and the RW-9 today, and I can't really tell much of difference. there is one, but I can't really pinpoint what it is. But its minor enough where It doesn't matter too much to the music I tested it with (Time - Pink Floyd, Letter - Yosi, Enter Sandman - Metallica, Limit to your Love, and a song from Lorde.)

The bass is amazing and clear though. mids are clean and highs are strong but not overwhelming or sibiliant. The sound much better than the Sennheisers.

I might go with the X6's just because they are cheaper.

Awesome.

Did you try this version of "Enter Sandman"? :ksc75smile:

Also awesome lol!

Mar 10, 2019 at 10:11 PM Post #40,619 of 75,289
I think I'll have to look for that kube1 mod of your again

I haven't really finalised it, got sidetracked with other stuff and my recent ear trouble. I posted some initial thoughts but that was just me being impressed with them without foams, and after drilling a few holes in the shell :p

I'd much rather complete the mod and then showcase it before everyone goes messing up their kubes (not that most will bother to mod it other than me lol)

When I do some more work on it and convert to mmcx I'll post a full mod about it. Because it's totally the right kind of earbud to mod. Cheap, great sound and you can make it much more premium with mmcx and a new fancy cable :)

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2019 at 2:44 PM Post #40,620 of 75,289
When I do some more work on it and convert to mmcx I'll post a full mod about it. Because it's totally the right kind of earbud to mod. Cheap, great sound and you can make it much more premium with mmcx and a new fancy cable :)

Love to see your mmcx results!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back