Earbuds Round-Up
Jan 31, 2019 at 3:29 PM Post #39,631 of 75,271
Jan 31, 2019 at 3:46 PM Post #39,632 of 75,271
Question for any of you who have been assembling your own earbuds lately - Does it look like these 14.8mm Planar Magnetic drivers are designed for an earbud shell, or an earphone housing?
NOTE: They are $136.50 /pair. https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...siast-DIY-headphones/1396671_32953543325.html
HTB1r1g.XzDuK1Rjy1zjq6zraFXaI.jpg
My guess is IEM. Firstly it takes a much larger planar driver than dynamic driver to produce somewhat similar results in the bass if we look at most planar headphone or iem designs, they are usually much bigger. Also afaik most planar drivers need a good seal to measure well. Earbuds dont provide that.

If you put that in an earbud shell I don't you would get any low end. Seems they are for iems where the seal is excellent and thus can allow that great linear extension.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2019 at 6:22 PM Post #39,634 of 75,271
@waynes world

Admittedly it became more than just a simple bass port, I've now modded it pretty extensively and am liking the results a lot, you can run foamless for a neutral-full sound or you can add donut foams for absolutely epic bass that seems to hit deep without any mid bass bump. To my ear it basically measures almost flat from 40-200hz which is really impressive for earbuds, most of which peak at like 100hz and drop off after that.

I can give a description of the mods and how to do them, but I'd rather make a good write up for that to avoid any confusion or anyone messing up their kubes because of me!

All I'll say it it's a better sound than the vido, emx500 and it rivals the r4ys for me but with a smoother more musical tone. I'd love to measure this thing, there's like one peak at 5khz and the rest is just smooth sailing from top to bottom.

Jan 31, 2019 at 7:37 PM Post #39,635 of 75,271
@waynes worldAll I'll say it it's a better sound than the vido, emx500 and it rivals the r4ys for me but with a smoother more musical tone. I'd love to measure this thing, there's like one peak at 5khz and the rest is just smooth sailing from top to bottom.
I don't want to sound rude but I already have a number of budget buds that (IMO) are better than those three. My Kubes are on the way and I was hoping they would be better as well, without modding. Am I missing something?

Jan 31, 2019 at 8:03 PM Post #39,636 of 75,271
I don't want to sound rude but I already have a number of budget buds that (IMO) are better than those three. My Kubes are on the way and I was hoping they would be better as well, without modding. Am I missing something?

My Kubes have arrived in the country. I am sure I will enjoy the stock sound. I bet you will too. Some people love to mod. It is just another side to the hobby.

Jan 31, 2019 at 8:21 PM Post #39,637 of 75,271

Everyone's ears are different. But the Kube's are favorites of mine, regardless of their price. They are truly unique. Like mbwilson111 says, I'm sure you will enjoy their stock sound.

Sean's mod might make an awesome bud even awesomer lol. Still, if I had only one pair of them, I would never consider modding them. And even though I do have a spare pair, I'd probably want to get another pair before modifying

@waynes world

Admittedly it became more than just a simple bass port, I've now modded it pretty extensively and am liking the results a lot, you can run foamless for a neutral-full sound or you can add donut foams for absolutely epic bass that seems to hit deep without any mid bass bump. To my ear it basically measures almost flat from 40-200hz which is really impressive for earbuds, most of which peak at like 100hz and drop off after that.

I can give a description of the mods and how to do them, but I'd rather make a good write up for that to avoid any confusion or anyone messing up their kubes because of me!

All I'll say it it's a better sound than the vido, emx500 and it rivals the r4ys for me but with a smoother more musical tone. I'd love to measure this thing, there's like one peak at 5khz and the rest is just smooth sailing from top to bottom.

Just sell me yours lol. Seriously though, a nice pictorial tutorial would be great.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2019 at 8:32 PM Post #39,638 of 75,271
Well what I meant was it has aspects of all 3 In stock form but I definitely prefer them modded. Like it's enough of an upgrade that I'm going to mod the second pair tomorrow and they will probably become my go to earbuds for a non analytical pure enjoyment listening.

The stock sound is nice and all but it just sounds more to my preference after the mods. Bass was deeper, mids fuller and more open staging. I wish i could measure them tbh, to see if it aligns with what im hearing.

Because the mod literally involed opening up the shell quite a bit, and dampening the open parts to tune the amount of airflow, ill snap a quick picture to show what I mean, but the tuning inside involved quite a bit of tinkering to get the right tonality for use without foams.

15489842717041740355282.jpg
As you can see there's an extra vent on each side at the bottom and one at the top. As well as a bass port with a piece of foam in it to adjust it slightly that you cannot see.

For tuning I was going for one thing, making them sound BIG and musical. These things put out impressive stage width with good imaging in the mids when tuned right, vocals sounded phenomenal.

They sound much more cuppy/and a little hollow without the extra venting. Clarity was not effected by opening the shell up as long as i use the right filters inside.

Anywho I'm sure you'll like it stock, but I thought it was a good candidate to go foamless with because it was bassy and the treble was just right without foams, it became a little too smoothed and duller with foams tbh.

The white pair i have actually doesn't have the same peak at 5khz as the blue, so ill mod that one tomorrow and hopefully get even better results.

These are probably the best $8 I spent on earbuds tbh, usually even the best budget buds sound like earbuds, these are different beasts as the sound really fills out the soundstage and the lows extend well, and actually so do the highs, they just aren't over done.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2019 at 8:37 PM Post #39,639 of 75,271
Everyone's ears are different. But the Kube's are favorites of mine, regardless of their price. They are truly unique. Like mbwilson111 says, I'm sure you will enjoy their stock sound.

Sean's mod might make an awesome bud even awesomer lol. Still, if I had only one pair of them, I would never consider modding them. And even though I do have a spare pair, I'd probably want to get another pair before modifying

Just sell me yours lol. Seriously though, a nice pictorial tutorial would be great.
I bought two for that exact reason, incase i mess one up!

Suffice to say i will DEFINITELY be modding the second pair, the upgrade was pretty substantial if you enjoy earbuds that sound like full size open backs!

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2019 at 8:37 PM Post #39,640 of 75,271

the kube sounds good even without modding. i prefer foamless or thin foams at minimal to focus on the subbass. adding thicker foams increases the midbass and warms up the treble too much for my taste.

Jan 31, 2019 at 8:41 PM Post #39,641 of 75,271
the kube sounds good even without modding. i prefer foamless or thin foams at minimal to focus on the subbass. adding thicker foams increases the midbass and warms up the treble too much for my taste.
Adding foams also moves the drivers further from the ear which has a negative effect on the vocals imo.

So to counter the lesser bass i just opened it up more. Now It's very full and dynamic without any foams.

And the vocals and treble are very enjoyable.

Jan 31, 2019 at 8:42 PM Post #39,642 of 75,271
Thanks for your replies, all. I've got a feeling I didn't explain myself well - I shouldn't post late just before I go to bed!
Anyway, I shall wait for mine to arrive - they're orange so I'm sure they'll be great! :ksc75smile:

Jan 31, 2019 at 8:49 PM Post #39,643 of 75,271
Thanks for your replies, all. I've got a feeling I didn't explain myself well - I shouldn't post late just before I go to bed!
Anyway, I shall wait for mine to arrive - they're orange so I'm sure they'll be great! :ksc75smile:
It's hard to be disappointed with the sound these put out regardless of mods or not.

Jan 31, 2019 at 9:51 PM Post #39,644 of 75,271
So...what happen with this TINGO brand?

Just read on ''earbuds anonymous'' somebody that suggest TC200 for great bass and make fast google search and find this picture share ON THIS VERY THREAD like billions year ago (page 235 lol)

After i became obsess making more search finding this very TC200...unsuccessful.

Why....why....WHY! Anybody know a way to find them or...is it now the very Fengru Silver im excited about (yeah, they are called TC200 too sometime ugh)
8585386.jpg
Tingo TC200 is discontinued like ... forever.

You could find some on "Earbuds Anonymous" FB group, second hand.

Tingo is known for infamous inconsistency between batch, like what happened to my Tingo FL800 (I could say the IEM version of the Fengru Silver), my first pair was a miracle, but It went dead like... after 2 months, then I reorder from their site, and received a muddy, true nasal vocal sounding piece of cr*p that I never bother that they exist.

FYI, below is the official site of Tingo, could be bought via a Taobao agent.
https://yimoooo.world.taobao.com/
As for the Fengru Silver, I don't think It's the TG-38S, the soundsign of those two are very different from each other. I don't own a TG-38S but I heard that many people didn't like them, they were too veiled and harsh, ... My Fengru Silver is very enjoyable, no peak, no sibilance, ... I'm sure anyone will enjoy them like they did when the Monk (32 ohms) released.

Jan 31, 2019 at 10:54 PM Post #39,645 of 75,271
Battle of the "kinda blue" buds (snow lotus 1.0+ vs yincrow rw9)

20190131_194856.jpg

Edit: Damn! ClieOS ain't wrong about the rw9's :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back