Earbuds Round-Up
Jan 23, 2019 at 11:42 PM Post #39,363 of 75,710
1548304240488691429768.jpg
1548304536287512161202.jpg

First 'beta' of mmcx pk earbuds I'm working on.

I'll make the second one soon with some minor updates in tuning.

With this first version, bass punch-solidity and detail are prevalent but need to fine tune the mid range and soundstaging.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2019 at 3:36 AM Post #39,366 of 75,710
I just got my new set of backup Kubes, and they sound quite different to my older set.
More clear, more linear sound. Overall better IMO.
Will post measurements as soon as I can.

Jan 24, 2019 at 10:37 AM Post #39,368 of 75,710
IMG_20190123_103517.jpg

Edifier H180, EMX500 (my 3rd pair), and MX760 graphene (Fengru). I'm least satisfied with the MX760. Can't find a good workaround to improve its sound (donut foams, full foams, naked). Not sure if a recable work would add more subbass and clarity to mids and highs. I find them quite muffled and congested on both clean recordings of R&B, EDM, and metal. I love the design and fit though.

Jan 24, 2019 at 11:19 AM Post #39,369 of 75,710
Edifier H180, EMX500 (my 3rd pair), and MX760 graphene (Fengru). I'm least satisfied with the MX760. Can't find a good workaround to improve its sound (donut foams, full foams, naked). Not sure if a recable work would add more subbass and clarity to mids and highs. I find them quite muffled and congested on both clean recordings of R&B, EDM, and metal. I love the design and fit though.

If you love the design and fit, a good workaround (for great sound) is to get the $29 version :)
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/201...High-End-Rare-Earth-Graphene/32821104494.html

Ask nicely and I'm pretty sure you could get a pretty good discount.

Jan 24, 2019 at 11:28 AM Post #39,370 of 75,710
If you love the design and fit, a good workaround (for great sound) is to get the $29 version :)
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/201...High-End-Rare-Earth-Graphene/32821104494.html

Ask nicely and I'm pretty sure you could get a pretty good discount.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm actually trying to find a Beyerdynamic DP100 and Philips SHE3800 locally (Philippines) but ended up putting a gamble on these graphenes. I put them on burn in now hoping for any improvement. If all else fails, then I'll probably dismantle them and salvage for materials on future projects.

Jan 24, 2019 at 11:29 AM Post #39,371 of 75,710
Finally got my Vunbuds yesterday after ordering them in mid november. Not to go into details but let's just once again state that our dear swedish post office leaves a few things to be desired. Anyhow, the first impression is quite good! A bit rumbley but it works on the metal and prog I've been listening to. I think these are the first buds that I prefer with rubber rings instead of foams but I haven't quite made up my mind on that front. The VJC cable that came with them is great! Unfortunately I'm not using it, instead I'm using a cheap 2.5mm cable because ES100 packs more punch that way. I might switch back to the VJC cable though since I don't notice a big difference so far, not like with for example my **** PT15 where changing to 2.5mm did them a big favor in my opinion. Also, they weren't marked with left and right and that kind of bugged me even though it's kind of pointless.

Jan 24, 2019 at 12:47 PM Post #39,372 of 75,710
Also, they weren't marked with left and right and that kind of bugged me even though it's kind of pointless.

Yeah, but the cable is :)

...and my foams.

Enjoying my Vunbuds. For reasons beyond me, I was unaware they were mmcx. I'm always afraid to part mmcx earbuds from their cables. Just in case...

Jan 24, 2019 at 12:54 PM Post #39,373 of 75,710
Yeah, but the cable is :)

...and my foams.

Enjoying my Vunbuds. For reasons beyond me, I was unaware they were mmcx. I'm always afraid to part mmcx earbuds from their cables. Just in case...

I keep my right thumbnail a little bit long, to use for prying / popping MMCX connectors loose from my earbuds & earphones.
It was after the MMCX jack pulled out of one of my PT15 earbuds, that I became more vigilant.
Those particular jacks are smooth, without ridges or lips to catch on the plastic bushing, so they're just held in by friction.

Jan 24, 2019 at 1:33 PM Post #39,374 of 75,710
So I've done a measure of my 2nd Kubes, and I've learned something from it.
Firstly the individual sets of buds.
theKube2.png kube black2.png

And then both buds average responses (L/R average)
Orange = 1st copy
Purple = 2nd copy
2 kube AVERAGES.png
On 'paper' they look about the same.

To my ears as stated earlier, I really thought the 2nd one was the clearer, and slightly brighter of the two (better sounding overall).
Took me a little while to realise that what I was hearing was not a difference between the buds, but the difference in age between the two foams, even though they were identical.

The older foams on the older Kube (only a few months) do seem to make a duller sound.
Be it a mix of age compression, getting loose over time or just getting filled with ear juice... who knows.

After putting on fresh foams, both Kubes became just about indistinguishable.
So that's good news all around I think.

Jan 24, 2019 at 2:18 PM Post #39,375 of 75,710
So I've done a measure of my 2nd Kubes, and I've learned something from it.
Firstly the individual sets of buds.

And then both buds average responses (L/R average)
Orange = 1st copy
Purple = 2nd copy

On 'paper' they look about the same.

To my ears as stated earlier, I really thought the 2nd one was the clearer, and slightly brighter of the two (better sounding overall).
Took me a little while to realise that what I was hearing was not a difference between the buds, but the difference in age between the two foams, even though they were identical.

The older foams on the older Kube (only a few months) do seem to make a duller sound.
Be it a mix of age compression, getting loose over time or just getting filled with ear juice... who knows.

After putting on fresh foams, both Kubes became just about indistinguishable.
So that's good news all around I think.

Wow, very interesting. You almost started a huge selloff of original Kube's lol!

Thankfully in your tests you are trying to minimize factors that can come into play, and you were clever to catch that about the foams. Good catch!

It sure is amazing in general how many factors affect what we are hearing:
- our individual hearing
- audio source and chain
- synergy of chain and buds
- eq (or something else) accidentally turned on without knowing it
- quality of files and mastering of files
- no foams, full foams, donut foams
- quality and thickness of said foams
- mood
- most importantly: number of cocktails in the system

I'm sure I'm missing a few!

Last edited: