Earbuds Round-Up
Nov 8, 2018 at 6:04 PM Post #37,351 of 75,297
Not sure others would agree it's great for rap music, but the fact she likes the Grado sound made me think of the Toneking TO400s.
thanks for the reply. the hip hop we listen to isn't exactly the same as rap. Rap seems to be all the crap on the radio with way too much bass and overly simple beats ( nicehck eb200 seem good enough for that) most of the hip-hop we listen to has a lot of jazz samples with added bass ( mf doom, Quasimodo, madlib, Gorillaz) it's why I been having a hard time with it, too mid centric and the bass is weak, but v shaped sound makes the voices sound a bit off, I have been very curious with the toneking to200 and to400 but I thought they maybe too bright? Can anyone tell me, do the to200's bass bleed into the mids? And would you guys call them bright? Am I expecting too much from a single dynamic driver? I noticed my kz zsr seem to be real good at those genre is there something in the $50-100 range with similar tuning?

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2018 at 6:06 PM Post #37,352 of 75,297
it's a late bloomer for sure. i also found out about it quite some time ago when my brother bought it. I guess when it came out, there are abundant other new earbuds that people bought other snd missed/didn't bother about the RY4S. now that the market is somewhat slowing down, these old gems seems to beginning to catch up
Quite some time ago did your brother buy UE RY4S? Or ordinary RY4S?
We should have found, purchased and recommended UE RY4S immediately after release.

Nov 8, 2018 at 6:14 PM Post #37,353 of 75,297
thanks for the reply. the hip hop we listen to isn't exactly the same as rap. Rap seems to be all the crap on the radio with way too much bass and overly simple beats ( nicehck eb200 seem good enough for that) most of the hip-hop we listen to has a lot of jazz samples with added bass ( mf doom, Quasimodo, madlib, Gorillaz) it's why I been having a hard time with it, too mid centric and the bass is weak, but v shaped sound makes the voices sound a bit off, I have been very curious with the toneking to200 and to400 but I thought they maybe too bright? Can anyone tell me, do the to200's bass bleed into the mids? And would you guys call them bright? Am I expecting too much from a single dynamic driver? I noticed my kz zsr seem to be real good at those genre is there something in the $50-100 range with similar tuning?

I think the TO400s sound great with hip hop, and I personally don't think they're too bright (and I'm sensitive to treble peaks). Haven't heard the TO200s, but I've heard they sound nice, with more bass quantity than the TO400s.

Nov 8, 2018 at 6:15 PM Post #37,354 of 75,297
Depends on which aspects you want to upgrade? Is the bass lacking? Is it the treble? Overall detail? Soundstage?

I think the Vido, and WS MK2 share similarities with the monk but have more bass, more detail over all, and slightly more treble extension. Both with thin foams, like used on the monk or the ones from aliexpress.

I think a nice successor to the monk sound is the docomo/pk buds, they sound a bit sweeter and more balanced but retain that mid range and vocal goodness.

I would like to improve bass depth and details. I care about maintaining the naturalness of sound, dynamics and musicality :).

Do you mean this PK2 model:

http://bit.ly/2OAVx4a

?

I was thinking about another version of Monks, for example with silver cable:

https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1Khw8cXqZBuNjt_jqq6ymzpXaH.jpg

Nov 8, 2018 at 6:25 PM Post #37,355 of 75,297
I think the TO400s sound great with hip hop, and I personally don't think they're too bright (and I'm sensitive to treble peaks). Haven't heard the TO200s, but I've heard they sound nice, with more bass quantity than the TO400s.
Well then I think I will add these to the list for 11.11, thanks for clearing it up, she is also a bit sensitive to treble so I am glad to hear there not too bright

Nov 8, 2018 at 6:40 PM Post #37,356 of 75,297
I would like to improve bass depth and details. I care about maintaining the naturalness of sound, dynamics and musicality :).

?

Ry4s or willsound mk2 is good options then. Ry4s is a little brighter than mk2. I prefer the Ry4s tonality and it has better bass control, but the mk2 has more relaxed mids and highs if you are sensitive to brightness.

It really depends on your definition of natural. If you mean like great timbre, i think some of the pk buds sound great albeit mid centric (like the monks but to a lesser degree).

If you mean the most neutral, mk2 and ry4s are far more neutral across the spectum because they have sub bass, treble extension and kind of natural timbre. I say kind of because each has it's own little flaws but for the most part they sound realistic especially if you play around with the foam choices.

Mk2 and ry4s get closer to a full size headphone sound which is phenomenal for the price. Same goes for emx500 but it's a little more U shaped and the two I mention above have a dry tonality like the monks which can be perceived as natural but analytical with plenty of detail.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2018 at 6:51 PM Post #37,357 of 75,297
Quite some time ago did your brother buy UE RY4S? Or ordinary RY4S?
We should have found, purchased and recommended UE RY4S immediately after release.

the regular (the one i tried),but he did said he like it so much and going to purchase the UE and a couple more for her daughters, so i think now he has both

Nov 8, 2018 at 6:53 PM Post #37,358 of 75,297

?

Fair warning though the RY4S is considerably brighter than the monks, mk2 is only moderately brighter. R4ys sounds raw and powerful which I love. But I love bright highs and full lows in my earbuds so I've gotten used to it.

Nov 8, 2018 at 6:55 PM Post #37,359 of 75,297
the regular (the one i tried),but he did said he like it so much and going to purchase the UE and a couple more for her daughters, so i think now he has both
I really think if the cable of shozy bk can make a difference it would be amazing on the RY4s, since the bk is incredibly thick in the low mids and ry4s could use a little boost there.

Too bad we cannot buy the very same cable in diy form.... But ill try all my other cables I bought to see what happens.

The dynamics and layering is quite special for $12. I say this after having the blox tm9 and mojito in my ears...

Compared to stock vido with old monk thin foams which is nice in tonality and similar dry tone but just doesn't have the same spartial depth and crisp imaging.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2018 at 7:07 PM Post #37,360 of 75,297
Fair warning though the RY4S is considerably brighter than the monks, mk2 is only moderately brighter. R4ys sounds raw and powerful which I love. But I love bright highs and full lows in my earbuds so I've gotten used to it.

from memory, the RY4S is fine with thicker foams, while i like my MK2 with thin foams

I really think if the cable of shozy bk can make a difference it would be amazing on the RY4s, since the bk is incredibly thick in the low mids and ry4s could use a little boost there.

Too bad we cannot buy the very same cable in diy form.... But ill try all my other cables I bought to see what happens.

The dynamics and layering is quite special for $12. I say this after having the blox tm9 and mojito in my ears...

Compared to stock vido with old monk thin foams which is nice in tonality and similar dry tone but just doesn't have the same spartial depth and crisp imaging.

my friend is selling his original BK cable on my local forum, you could contact him if you want :ksc75smile:

how's your TM9 holding up to your black ling? i held off from buying it after auditioning it, and got a great deal on mint Samsara and ATH R70X instead

Nov 8, 2018 at 7:19 PM Post #37,361 of 75,297
from memory, the RY4S is fine with thicker foams, while i like my MK2 with thin foams

my friend is selling his original BK cable on my local forum, you could contact him if you want :ksc75smile:

how's your TM9 holding up to your black ling? i held off from buying it after auditioning it, and got a great deal on mint Samsara and ATH R70X instead
Black ling is on the way back to me after rattle in the right driver, ak store took care of it for me so credit to them.

Once it arrives I'll compare.

I'm torn on the tm9 though, i want it to either be brighter or darker so i can use foams to adjust its sound. The treble is below neutral, smooth and relaxed. But the mids are much brighter, meaning the low mids are dipped and vocals sound clear and light.

It's like the emx500 but with 10% more sub bass and 15% less treble and like 20% more smoothed out So it sounds much more mellow overall. But I was hoping for it to be my TOTL darker sounding earbud for relaxed listening and very full musical mids. But it's not quite there as the vocals are not particularly weighty and textured (even emx500 has slightly more vocal body i think.)

It's the perfect totl bud for those who love deep bass, clear mids but have sensitivity to treble. It's smooth and has a massive SS and bass is deep and rounded even with thin foam.

I'll spend another while adjusting to it, and swapping foams and see how I like it best. By then i should have the ling back for comparison.

So far it sounds best with no foams or with old monk thin foams, this way it's the most balanced and still sounds full. Like a big driver open back headphone.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2018 at 7:30 PM Post #37,362 of 75,297
It's the perfect totl bud for those who love deep bass, clear mids but have sensitivity to treble. It's smooth and has a massive SS and bass is deep and rounded even with thin foam.

I might really like it - or at least enjoy having it in my collection.... if it were only $20 or so!

Nov 8, 2018 at 7:31 PM Post #37,363 of 75,297
Black ling is on the way back to me after rattle in the right driver, ak store took care of it for me so credit to them.

I'm torn on the tm9 though, i want it to either be brighter or darker so i can use foams to adjust its sound. The treble is below neutral, smooth and relaxed. But the mids are much brighter, meaning the low mids are dipped and vocals sound clear and light.

It's like the emx500 but with 10% more sub bass and 15% less treble and like 20% more smoothed out So it sounds much more mellow overall. But I was hoping for it to be my TOTL darker sounding earbud for relaxed listening and very full musical mids. But it's not quite there as the vocals are not particularly weighty and textured (even emx500 has slightly more vocal body i think.)

I'll spend another while adjusting to it, and swapping foams and see how I like it best. By then i should have the ling back for comparison.

So far it sounds best with no foams or with old monk thin foams, this way it's the most balanced and still sounds full. Like a big driver open back headphone.

yes, i agree. i can only tolerate the TM9 after using it with thin foams. my friend who owns it also agree, and ask me to give him some more thin foams for spare :dt880smile:

to this day i still choose the Liebesleid, SWD2+, Samsara, PS100-500, and Yinman 500 as my personal favorites among the TOTLs

and of course the Willsound MK's and PK16 as legit giant slayers

Nov 8, 2018 at 7:53 PM Post #37,364 of 75,297
It's like the emx500 but with 10% more sub bass and 15% less treble and like 20% more smoothed out

Wow, you must have some very sophisticated measuring equipment!

Nov 8, 2018 at 7:56 PM Post #37,365 of 75,297

I wonder how "treble sensitive" is still a thing, when most of the fatigue, discomfort (sibilance and crap) lies arround the 2k-5k region which is know as upper midrange for the most part.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back