Earbuds Round-Up
Oct 26, 2018 at 7:17 PM Post #36,901 of 75,868
First, I just want to say that I find my Monk Plus full bodied and not tinny at all. Is yours the old Monk or the Monk Plus?

I am always intrigued by cheap buds and what they can do so I did find this MySound on Amazon Uk and ordered an open box one in grey/white for 5 pound. Brand new ones were double that. I hope it is safe to order open box buds. If it does not look clean I will return it. It will arrrive Saturday.

edit... will arrive Monday. A new one would have arrived Saturday. Maybe the open box one is coming from Italy.

I have both generations of Monk buds! Both sound tinny compared to these. Especially going back and forth the difference is big. The mysound has much deeper bass even when used without foams while retaining acceptable clarity and soundstage imo.

Please let me know if you like them when you get them. For 5 pounds, I won't feel too bad if you hate them :sweat_smile:

IMG_20181027_010409.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2018 at 7:31 PM Post #36,902 of 75,868
Hey man, of the earbuds you own which are your favorite?

Great question! Could I ask that to everybody on this forum? I know this kind of goes against the grain of headfi in general, i.e., collecting insane numbers of headphones, but, if you had to spend the rest of your life on a desert island and could only take one single set of earbuds with you, which one would it be?

I'll start... Shozy BK.

Oct 26, 2018 at 7:37 PM Post #36,903 of 75,868
Great question! Could I ask that to everybody on this forum? I know this kind of goes against the grain of headfi in general, i.e., collecting insane numbers of headphones, but, if you had to spend the rest of your life on a desert island and could only take one single set of earbuds with you, which one would it be?

I'll start... Shozy BK.

The one's in his signature are all ones I've been looking at haha.

Oct 26, 2018 at 7:44 PM Post #36,904 of 75,868
The one's in his signature are all ones I've been looking at haha.
If I hadn't spent so much on my (still growing) collection, I would be able to afford the best earbuds known to man.

But that's not the point, is it? :ksc75smile:

Oct 26, 2018 at 7:51 PM Post #36,905 of 75,868

I'll start... Shozy BK.
I would have to pick the Sunrise SW Dragon II but as the cable is rather flimsy I don't think it would survive the trip to the desert island

Oct 26, 2018 at 9:17 PM Post #36,908 of 75,868
I would have to pick the Sunrise SW Dragon II but as the cable is rather flimsy I don't think it would survive the trip to the desert island

I've got a couple of questions:

1) RE: the UE cable. Why is it prefered? Is it copper or other?

2) Is the Sunrise SW Dragon II a prior model to the Simphonio Dragon 2+, or just a better version ? What are the signature differences?

TIA

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2018 at 10:09 PM Post #36,909 of 75,868
I've got a couple of questions:

1) RE: the UE cable. Why is it prefered? Is it copper or other?

2) Is the Sunrise SW Dragon II a prior model to the Simphonio Dragon 2+, or just a better version ? What are the signature differences?

TIA

1) No particular opinion on it. The actual real UE cable on most of UE IEMs isn't really that great. I however have not tried the UE style cable on earbud to know. Those are not likely actual UE made cable, but only referred to a particular finishing.

2) SWD2 is the old model made by Sunrise (which already change its name to Simphonio a few months ago) about 6 yrs ago. It is still a very good earbud by today's standard, but not on the same level as the ToTL SWD2+.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2018 at 10:11 PM Post #36,910 of 75,868
Hey man, of the earbuds you own which are your favorite?
Hard to choose just one.

It's a toss up between Mojito (only with very specfic foam mods), Black Ling or EMX500(budget king IMO).

All I'll say is I'm very excited to try emx500 drivers with the custom earbuds I'm making... They impress me that much with certain mods/tweaks I really want to test on them. The driver itself is very capable and has a great frequency response IMO.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2018 at 12:23 AM Post #36,911 of 75,868
All I'll say is I'm very excited to try emx500 drivers with the custom earbuds I'm making... They impress me that much with certain mods/tweaks I really want to test on them. The driver itself is very capable and has a great frequency response IMO.
That's probably how all of those small earbud companies in Asia started out.

So... what are you going to call that new line of earbuds from Ireland? :o2smile:

Oct 27, 2018 at 1:04 AM Post #36,912 of 75,868

I'll start... Shozy BK.

It would have to be my Blur hALF/hALF (2.5TRRS, 150Ω).

Oct 27, 2018 at 1:37 AM Post #36,914 of 75,868
That's probably how all of those small earbud companies in Asia started out.
I believe that most of them started out by doing mix and match between the premade drivers with some common shells, and then do some tuning with filter materials and cables.

Oct 27, 2018 at 2:15 AM Post #36,915 of 75,868
Just read over 50 pages catching up to this thread :S.

So Audio Tehcnica's fancy pants buds are out, and no-one has heard them?!

An expensive little package showed up from Indonesia a couple days ago. The painful burn in period starts. Though I must say, I'm not overly impressed straight out of the box. Sure, better than my Monk+, but the burn in has to work miracles for what I paid. For now my Fostex X00 Ebony are still on my head.

He told me the same when we met in Tokyo in July. I brought my pair of CampFred 1 and he asked what foams I was using. I replied that I use thin VE foams. He said that he tunes the Cypherus earbuds to be used without foams. I used thin foams at first with ZoomFred but then switched to rubber rings with fins from the VE EX pack (but with the fins cut off). That's when the ZF really found their perfect sound. I do think that other Cypherus earbuds work well with foams, but mainly thin VE type foams because of the already good bass.

I find MX500 shells to be painful without foam, maybe it's just the mold marks applying pressure to my small ears. Then again I find them painful with anything thicker than VE thin foam. With VE thin foam, I can wear them almost forever with no fatigue. It's a pity he tunes his buds for use without foam (for my sake at least). I tested with VE thins mostly. I remember someone linked some SUPER thin foams somewhere in this thread, maybe I should order those. I may just sand down those mold marks when I get the time.

Selling my TM9 , need money .pm me if in the usa

Mochill sold his TM9? I thought he'd sell a kidney before letting go of those. Unless he knows something we don't coming from Blox...

I would wait for an update from Blox (insiders)

What's with all this insider whispering about something coming from Blox? An update to the TM9? New bud altogether?

Finally got a notice from Swedish customs that they have my pair of SWD2+. The ransom (import tax + customs fees) is 522 SEK, around $58.

Well, I still got them cheaper than if I had bought them at full price... ($199.50 @ Massdrop +$6 shipping + $58 in ransom from Swedish customs still is cheaper than $319...)

Not too bad, I've paid much worse ransom. Looking forward to your SWD2+ comparison with your other buds. Though, from what I've read about your tastes and how that bud sounds, don't think you'll like it. I'll admit though I too was considering it when I saw them at $199.

Fun, dynamic and ToTL. Nuff said.
$75 + shipping.

The WillSound Special Edition sounds like stupid good value if it is truly TOTL. Link?

I'm very suprised that ClieOS has yet to hear a Cypherus bud...

I think so. Well, most of them anyway. I previously owned the DX120 and DX200 and wouldn't swap my V30 for either, even though I now have to settle for only one paltry 400 Gb card plus streaming.

Very interesting... I'm in the market for a good DAP, had my eyes on a DX200. Is the V30 really better than the DX200? How much time did you spend with your DX200? At the price point you can find a V30 for, that's some damn good value.

What's happening with K's Titanium? Still waiting for details on their low impedance version.

I'm saving up for the K's Titanium Ling.

Price? When? Where? Who? What? How? This damn earbud game...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back