Earbuds Round-Up
Jun 22, 2018 at 6:01 AM Post #32,266 of 75,563
Got MK2's today.

First listen thoughts - clear, spacious, "naturally warm" so very non-fatiguing and inviting listen.

...but... can anyone tell me how to fit those in my ear?

Have not had earbuds for more than 20 years (circumaural full-sizes or IEMs kind of guy). They seem to thick and big to fit in my ears. Foam irritates me, no foam does not stay in place... and a slight in ear position change of those make quite substantial sound change.

Thanks in advance for any useful advice.

Try the VE ex pack, those silicon ‘shark-fins’ might be the solution

1529463859597_94751448.jpg

Jun 22, 2018 at 6:41 AM Post #32,267 of 75,563
What a long thread... oh my! But definitely a wealth of knowledge and experience.

I am looking for a warm (dark), non-fatiguing signature for very long listening sessions. I do like bass but I wouldn't classify myself as a die-hard bass head though. I definitely do not prefer bright and/or strong treble signature nor sibilant earphones. I mainly listen to ambient electronic and ambient classical music (some examples are in my profile). A detachable cable would be great but not a deal breaker. My main want is "non-fatiguing; easy listening".

Based on what I read in this thread, posted reviews, and on Reddit I am currently considering the following (now ordered by recommendations):

Willsound MK1.2 / MK3
Svara-L
Blur Black Panther
Willsound MK2.2 / PK32
Shozy Cygnus
Cypherus Model ??? (since I live in Thailand)

Any suggestions, advice and/or recommendations would be sincerely appreciated.

EDITS:
  1. Removed Rose Masya; just stumbled across @seanc6441 post regarding mid-range brightness
  2. Removed Moondrop VX pro as per @chinmie post
  3. Added MK1.2 and Blur Black Panther as per @capnjack
  4. Addes MK3 as per @palestofwhite

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2018 at 7:00 AM Post #32,269 of 75,563
What a long thread... oh my! But definitely a wealth of knowledge and experience.

I am looking for a warm (dark), non-fatiguing signature for very long listening sessions. I do like bass but I wouldn't classify myself as a die-hard bass head though. I definitely do not prefer bright and/or strong treble signature nor sibilant earphones. I mainly listen to ambient electronic and ambient classical music (some examples are in my profile). A detachable cable would be great but not a deal breaker. My main want is "non-fatiguing; easy listening".

Based on what I read in this thread, posted reviews, and on Reddit I am currently considering the following (not in any particular order):

Shozy Cygnus
Svara-L
Moondrop VX Pro
Willsound MK2.2 / PK32
Cypherus (since I live in Thailand)

EDIT: Removed Rose Masya; just stumbled across @seanc6441 post regarding mid-range brightness

for warm and darker tone (still have good amount of treble detail) with good bass, the Svara L fits your bill

on that list, i would only drop the VX Pro because it has a weird mid resonance that hurts my ears. the others is good

Jun 22, 2018 at 7:03 AM Post #32,270 of 75,563
Jun 22, 2018 at 7:06 AM Post #32,271 of 75,563

Based on what I read in this thread, posted reviews, and on Reddit I am currently considering the following (not in any particular order):

Shozy Cygnus
Svara-L
Moondrop VX Pro
Willsound MK2.2 / PK32
Cypherus (since I live in Thailand)

EDIT: Removed Rose Masya; just stumbled across @seanc6441 post regarding mid-range brightness
Willsound Mk.1.2 or Blur Black Panther might also fit the bill :wink:

Jun 22, 2018 at 7:21 AM Post #32,273 of 75,563
Can you recommend a reseller for Blur?
You’ll have to message Wong Kuan Wei himself about them on Facebook ( Earbuds Anonymous) thread as they are his creations! :wink:

Jun 22, 2018 at 7:27 AM Post #32,274 of 75,563

Shozy Cygnus
Svara-L
Willsound MK1.2 / MK2.2 / PK32
Blur Black Panther
Cypherus Model ??? (since I live in Thailand)

EDITS:
  1. Removed Rose Masya; just stumbled across @seanc6441 post regarding mid-range brightness
  2. Removed Monndrop VX pro as per @chinmie post
  3. Added MK1.2 and Blur Black Panther as per @capnjack

Willsound MK1 Rev.2
Willsound MK3

Jun 22, 2018 at 8:02 AM Post #32,276 of 75,563
Follow up to Monk+ mod:

So I finished mod on the L channel, took some more measurements, and did some listening as well. I realized I forgot to volume match the modded monk+ after the modding was done, so those graphs I posted comparing the R channel of the mod to other buds won't be very accurate. Here are new measurements made from both L and R channels averaged at proper SPL:

So after listening to these I have to admit they don't sound anything like how they measure, in the low end anyway. If I press the buds into my ears there is certainly plenty of deep bass, but under normal listening conditions I would describe these as sounding bass light. The stock Monk+ has more punch in the bass in a volume matched listening session. When I measure buds they have lots of pressure applied to them to get a good seal on the coupler. This explains why they seem to have good bass in measurements, but it seems that having that much dampening material inside the shell negatively effects bass response when less pressure is used, such as in a real world listening test. I personally don't find this mod very appealing in practice, but others who like a lean sound might like it. This experiment was quite the learning experience for me. All kinds of new variables to consider.
Just open up one or two hole on paper damper where foam damper is not present...simple as that...this will let your overdamped driver breathe some air from the back and get you your bass and create sound like Zen. Actually you cannot fix the high treble region like Zen has because Zen is electrically tuned and has a better cable which in theory do effect the high range(outside the hearable fundamental tone range of 14kHz..

Add a 64ohm resistor on parallel, it will suck up some high range and make monk a 32ohm monster

Super loud

It can be fixed either by changing the front plastic mesh(insult to mesh, it can be said as a cover).

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2018 at 9:01 AM Post #32,277 of 75,563
As you own both what difference (if any) could one discern that could be important in my decision?

MK1 Rev.2 – Warm, good bass & intimate (more centred) sounding
MK3 – A warmer version of MK2 but still "analytical" & dimensional sounding (as compared to MK1 Rev.2)

Go for the MK3 If you like a balanced or "analytical" with a warm touch.
If you prefer more lows and an even warmer sound, go for the MK1 Rev.2.

Jun 22, 2018 at 9:56 AM Post #32,279 of 75,563
Anybody who has a svara L

Tell me which is the best version
32, 64, 96 or 115 ohm

And where can I get it for cheap

As Aliexpress shows me 115$

Its expensive than maysa
2018 New Svara PRO Upgraded 2-way Flat Head Earphone dual-Dynamic Earbud HIFI Monitor Earbud Earphone With MMCX Interface
http://s.aliexpress.com/fiEzQ3EB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back