Earbuds Round-Up
Jun 21, 2018 at 11:24 PM Post #32,252 of 75,861
those svarras look too big for my ears unfortunately.

has anyone found like a new standard for more "disposable" earbuds (like sub $20 i guess?) or are ve monks still still champs in that bracket

If you don't mind some amping, the monk lite 120's are really good imo. I am listening to them now, amped using the Cayin C5 portable amp, listening to Radiohead's Moon Shaped Pool, and they sound fantastic (much better than the standard monks for my preferences):

https://www.veclan.com/engappliance_sel_one?eng_ApplianceVo.eac_id=24

upload_2018-6-21_20-24-9.jpeg

Jun 21, 2018 at 11:26 PM Post #32,253 of 75,861
Jun 21, 2018 at 11:46 PM Post #32,254 of 75,861
Are you comparing monk plus or the original monk with monk lite

I was referring to the monk plus (since the originals are so rare). But I just threw the originals in my ears for a comparison...

The monk originals have more bass and more mid-bass, and they are warmer overall. The mids are more recessed, and until your ears get climatized, they sound somewhat veiled in comparison. The monk lite 120's are more neutral, and with some amping, they sound quite balanced and detailed and are very good. Without the amping, they are less inspiring (although they still sound fine).

But, you should try stretching your ears around those Svara L's - they are pretty awesome.

Jun 21, 2018 at 11:49 PM Post #32,255 of 75,861
I was referring to the monk plus (since the originals are so rare). But I just threw the originals in my ears for a comparison...

The monk originals have more bass and more mid-bass, and they are warmer overall. The mids are more recessed, and until your ears get climatized, they sound somewhat veiled in comparison. The monk lite 120's are more neutral, and with some amping, they sound quite balanced and detailed and are very good. Without the amping, they are less inspiring (although they still sound fine).

But, you should try stretching your ears around those Svara L's - they are pretty awesome.
According to what I know....actually its a great news..

All VE clan driver are same, what they did was to change the electrical parameters resulting in increased resistance..

So, if we skip the electrical parameters and focus on mechanical and physical parameters and mod it...I think we can get something better than Zen on lower ohms..inspired by @slappypete

Ohh, by the way I will check svara L

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2018 at 12:25 AM Post #32,256 of 75,861

I was wondering, have you tried the Sharp MD? For me it's the better Monk, similar sound, but much better tuned overall, not to mention it is less than half the price of monk +

Jun 22, 2018 at 12:49 AM Post #32,257 of 75,861
Personally I think EQ'd Rose Mojito is very impressive. Infact mojito is a great contrast to the BK with excellent end to end extension at the cost of a slightly thinner mid range. Massive soundstage too. EQ I find fixes some glaring issues in tonality and restores full natural vocal quality. Kills the two major peaks/dips also.

Maybe also one of the Zen detachable variants? The Zen Lite Shining version seems really well received but I haven't heard it myself. Just read some posts on EA and VE facebook group.

That’s very helpful indeed. Will spend some time research these options. Originally, I was looking for K’s Poseidon but sadly it is not available!

I’m thinking to get a wireworld nano platinum eclipse , nordost red heimdall2 or siltech Dutch crown detachable cable!

Thank you for your kindness.

Jun 22, 2018 at 2:41 AM Post #32,258 of 75,861
Finally received my new WIllsound PK32 replacement pair from Willy today ! (after almost 20 days)
My box arrived completely squashed and damaged, fortunately, the earbuds themselves survived due to Willy's package :)

I had a quick listen before going to work and ...... guess what ???
My new PK32 pair is just incredible !! this is an absolute dream !
Bass is finally here !! so definitely my previous one had a problem. Even soundstage is much better, mids and highs too.

This new PK32 is right out of the box already my best WIllsound pair ever (even MK2 rev2) !
Loving the whole frequency, it's more refined and now I understand the analogue sound they produce (that someone said here previously).
What an incredible tuning... stunning !

I will do a proper review once fully burned, but they sound already excellent to me from the first few minutes I past with them.
By waiting, I definitely join the comment above from @chinmie about PK32. This is exactly how I feel too compared to MK2.2.

Thank you so much @WillSound ! you made my day :)
Cheers'
Did you send back your defective earbuds? . If it s the case @willy should know what was wrong and if it was just burning process to get the full sound.
From your description "better than Mk2 out of the box" could means mine is defective too. Sound did not change so much till I got them.

Jun 22, 2018 at 3:38 AM Post #32,259 of 75,861
Jun 22, 2018 at 3:47 AM Post #32,260 of 75,861
Anybody know what the fiio earbuds are like?

Jun 22, 2018 at 4:13 AM Post #32,261 of 75,861
Did you send back your defective earbuds? . If it s the case @willy should know what was wrong and if it was just burning process to get the full sound.
From your description "better than Mk2 out of the box" could means mine is defective too. Sound did not change so much till I got them.

When I heard my new PK32 there was already a night and day difference right out of the box, definitely. No need to burn them, as my defective has now over 100 hours and the sound did not changed at all too.
I will return them to willy soon, so maybe he can check what was the issue exactly (which could be interesting to know).

So we can easily recognize if a PK32 pair is defective, simply give a quick listen and if no bass, then it is. Where now I'm a bit lost is that some says bass is here but light, on my PK32 new pair it's almost as heavy as my MK2.2, it has very slightly less quantity but has more control. When you listen to PK32 you can see how MK2.2 is more "dopamined" on bass quantity. I still believe than PK32 is best allrounder from WIllsound, where MK2.2 is more for electronical musics (where bass and highs needs to be very present).

Jun 22, 2018 at 4:38 AM Post #32,262 of 75,861
Where now I'm a bit lost is that some says bass is here but light, on my PK32 new pair it's almost as heavy as my MK2.2, it has very slightly less quantity but has more control. When you listen to PK32 you can see how MK2.2 is more "dopamined" on bass quantity. I still believe than PK32 is best allrounder from WIllsound, where MK2.2 is more for electronical musics (where bass and highs needs to be very present).

First it will sound like that (MK level bass), after more hours of play, the bass (especially midbass) would decrease and smooth out a bit, leaving the subbass intact and not interfere with the mids. That way the soundstage would spread better and nicely placed.

Also (if it's the same arrangement) the PK32 shipped with regular thick white foams while the MKs would usually shipped with thin foams. I settled for Hiegi full foams on my PK32 now

Jun 22, 2018 at 4:47 AM Post #32,263 of 75,861
Also (if it's the same arrangement) the PK32 shipped with regular thick white foams while the MKs would usually shipped with thin foams. I settled for Hiegi full foams on my PK32 now
Strangely my replacement pair has been shipped with black semi-thick foams (and not the thick white as like defective PK32 pair). I compared the stock foams used between MK2.2 and my recent PK32: the ones from my PK32 are a little more thick than MK2.2 which looks more like as VE clan extreme thin foams (also I love the blue/red colors to quickly help differ L and R).
I found the best sounding on VE extreme thin foams for now (the stock ones bringed a little less bass and subbass especially), but maybe I will change my setting once fully burned :) time will tell
Really love how PK32 sounds already, it is just brillant!

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2018 at 5:12 AM Post #32,264 of 75,861
Strangely my replacement pair has been shipped with black semi-thick foams (and not the thick white as like defective PK32 pair). I compared the stock foams used between MK2.2 and my recent PK32: the ones from my PK32 are a little more thick than MK2.2 which looks more like as VE clan extreme thin foams (also I love the blue/red colors to quickly help differ L and R).
I found the best sounding on VE extreme thin foams for now (the stock ones bringed a little less bass and subbass especially), but maybe I will change my setting once fully burned :) time will tell
Really love how PK32 sounds already, it is just brillant!
I will keep burning my pk32 all this weekend and if no changes I will contact Willly Your description and the one from chinmie does not match with my impression. I have a little Bass and no subass and it lacks depth in Soundstage . Maybe a bad batch as I see many people has the same problem.
It s just average sound for the moment but your comments make me feel this should be a TOTL earbuds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back