Earbuds Round-Up
Jun 21, 2018 at 1:48 PM Post #32,236 of 75,573
I have tried it, as Willy's demo buds are currently still at my house.. All with balanced jacks :sweat_smile:. Between the MK2 rev1 and rev2, i still prefer the rev1, in fact because of the monstrous bass. Between the rev2, surprisingly i prefer the MK3.

My PK32 is single ended, but i think you can ask for a balanced version

Thanks! All very interesting and very confusing lol!

The good thing for me at the moment is that I'm very content with the MK2 rev2's, and Svara L's (32 ohms), the PT15's (balanced), a few obscure budget buds that a friend got me, and the 1more TDOE headphones. So I can just chill for a while and enjoy :)

Jun 21, 2018 at 3:30 PM Post #32,237 of 75,573
Thanks! All very interesting and very confusing lol!

The good thing for me at the moment is that I'm very content with the MK2 rev2's, and Svara L's (32 ohms), the PT15's (balanced), a few obscure budget buds that a friend got me, and the 1more TDOE headphones. So I can just chill for a while and enjoy :)

Are the 32Ω Svara L earbuds that you have, the one's that list two or three different impedances on the on the AliExpress page?
It had me baffled, as far as what the actual load is... :ksc75smile:

Jun 21, 2018 at 3:42 PM Post #32,238 of 75,573
Jun 21, 2018 at 4:00 PM Post #32,239 of 75,573

OK, they're consistent on that page.
The page I was looking at, has the title "2018 New Svara PRO Upgraded", and lists multiple, different values for both the impedance (20Ω & 64Ω) and the frequency response (8Hz-25KHz & 15Hz-22KHz).

They also indicate, via a photo, that the new model has a different colored metal vent -
HTB12dkjbC8YBeNkSnb4q6yevFXap.jpg

Jun 21, 2018 at 4:34 PM Post #32,240 of 75,573
ive wanted to try out the mk2s but i cant find em anywhere so

can anyone recommend me some earbuds that have good soundstage/imaging? preferably under $50 cuz i have too much headphones n stuff

Jun 21, 2018 at 4:51 PM Post #32,241 of 75,573
ive wanted to try out the mk2s but i cant find em anywhere so

can anyone recommend me some earbuds that have good soundstage/imaging? preferably under $50 cuz i have too much headphones n stuff

You'll get lots of answers! You could try one of the other MK's (MK1 or MK3), but I couldn't tell you which ones lol. The Svara L's (32ohms) are fantastic, but are $58 here. Excellent soundstage and imaging. Very deep and detailed bass with good bass kick, but not too much mid-bass, lovely detailed highs, slightly V shaped signature. Really awesome for electronic music (but great for everything else as well). They are also built very well, look great, and are a nice departure from the typical MX500 shells.

Jun 21, 2018 at 4:55 PM Post #32,242 of 75,573
oh is THAT what that means

whoops

I think I need to escalate this OK, I've given him an ultimatum that if he doesn't provide concrete proof of shipment/evidence that the package is in transit by midnight on Friday I'm opening a case against him. This is some horsecrap and he really picked the wrong month to try something like this.

UPDATE: So the guy had included some sweets and additional buds in the package that he didn't declare when posting it, so that's why it was held for 3 weeks! All been resolved now, should be on the way tonight :)

Jun 21, 2018 at 8:32 PM Post #32,243 of 75,573
Got MK2's today.

First listen thoughts - clear, spacious, "naturally warm" so very non-fatiguing and inviting listen.

...but... can anyone tell me how to fit those in my ear?

Have not had earbuds for more than 20 years (circumaural full-sizes or IEMs kind of guy). They seem to thick and big to fit in my ears. Foam irritates me, no foam does not stay in place... and a slight in ear position change of those make quite substantial sound change.

Thanks in advance for any useful advice.

Jun 21, 2018 at 8:46 PM Post #32,245 of 75,573
Got MK2's today.

First listen thoughts - clear, spacious, "naturally warm" so very non-fatiguing and inviting listen.

Have not had earbuds for more than 20 years (circumaural full-sizes or IEMs kind of guy). They seem to thick and big to fit in my ears. Foam irritates me, no foam does not stay in place... and a slight in ear position change of those make quite substantial sound change.

Hmmm... There's no other way around it besides wearing them until it fits the ear, i guess..
The first time i use mx500 type shell, i can only wear them for 20 minutes tops, because it barely fits. but now i can wear them to sleep.

I can only suggest this if you can wear them no problem with no foams. If it still hurts and barely fits even without foams, i would suggest using smaller shell like the PK shells.

Jun 21, 2018 at 8:57 PM Post #32,246 of 75,573
Got MK2's today.

Method 1 - To endure it until you get used to it.
Method 2 - Use a thin foam.
Method 3 - Purchase PK32 again.
Method 4 - Sell MK2, and forget it as if it was not there from the beginning.:ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2018 at 9:06 PM Post #32,247 of 75,573
Got MK2's today.

Yup, smaller shells for you. PK32's. Maybe VE lite variants. I really like the monk lite 120's, but the Zen lites are probably very good (I assume they also use the smaller shells).

Jun 21, 2018 at 9:35 PM Post #32,249 of 75,573
Thanks for suggestions.

What is MK2/MX500 shell diameter? 1,5 - 1,6 cm?

Are there some kind of silicone/rubber earhooks or rings? Are those things useful at all?
There are and yes they might be useful in your situation although I really advise you give foams another chance because they are really beneficial to the overall sound and fit in most cases.

The stock thin foams on the mk2 are q little stratchy, try buying the VE expack and use those thin foams, they are softer

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2018 at 10:14 PM Post #32,250 of 75,573
Follow up to Monk+ mod:

So I finished mod on the L channel, took some more measurements, and did some listening as well. I realized I forgot to volume match the modded monk+ after the modding was done, so those graphs I posted comparing the R channel of the mod to other buds won't be very accurate. Here are new measurements made from both L and R channels averaged at proper SPL:

So after listening to these I have to admit they don't sound anything like how they measure, in the low end anyway. If I press the buds into my ears there is certainly plenty of deep bass, but under normal listening conditions I would describe these as sounding bass light. The stock Monk+ has more punch in the bass in a volume matched listening session. When I measure buds they have lots of pressure applied to them to get a good seal on the coupler. This explains why they seem to have good bass in measurements, but it seems that having that much dampening material inside the shell negatively effects bass response when less pressure is used, such as in a real world listening test. I personally don't find this mod very appealing in practice, but others who like a lean sound might like it. This experiment was quite the learning experience for me. All kinds of new variables to consider.
I think your mod is fantastic

You can post here

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-mod-collective-bring-all-your-iem-mods-here.867486/

Actually earbuds are allowed and we would love to have a modder

Second thing...don't worry about the bass, use the donut foam pad or full foam pads to recover the bass..

I think your mod will make it sound better than ZEN...just a little more bass is needed on stock.

Zen and other expensive TOTL earbud forte is acoustic and harmonic transition and when I see your compensated graphs, you fixed most of dips...

One more way to recover bass is to uncover the holes covered by the paper on the region of the uppervent which is not covered by the foam

Users who are viewing this thread

Back