Earbuds Round-Up
Apr 3, 2018 at 1:23 PM Post #29,836 of 75,149
full foams don't even want to attempt to go on the things, much less stay on. JFC, I do not have the motor skills for applying those hahahah

Often takes me 10 minutes for each foam. Sometimes there are tears of frustration. Unless my husband is home :)

Apr 3, 2018 at 1:32 PM Post #29,837 of 75,149
What is its sound sig ? Please compare with the original BK. Thanks.

Search, and you shall find.

No worry, I'll keep to posting short impression if nothing else.

On that note, just finish listening to both Shozy BK / Stardust and Cygnus LE (with a side serving of regular Cygnus) - I think overall I'll say the two are nearly equal in SQ, but with a rather different presentation. BK really has more or less a mature / smooth yet fairly all-accomplishing sound, especially when driven balanced. Some might have called it being a bit too neutral, which I don't think is the most corrected word to my opinion, but rather a bit on the blander (= lacking strong character) side of presentation. Cygnus LE, if anything, is comparatively more energetic and forwarded sounding. If BK is aimed to be an all rounder, Cygnus LE is really more of a 'pop star', so to speak. In contrast, Cygnus LE has a fuller and forwarder presentation with a harder hitting bass and overall dynamic, which goes really well with mainstream music. In exchange of this more energetic sound, Cygnus LE has a smaller soundstage as everything tends to sound fuller but also more 'in-your-face'. Though technically Cygnus LE can hit just as high and low a note as BK, the forwardness in presentation means 'big' music like classical lost a bit of grandness on it, but pop and rock gain a bit of more sweetness and PRaT. It is all about give and take between the BK and Cygnus LE. In that sense, I think the regular Cygnus is more or less in-between the two but more toward BK in tuning.

Apr 3, 2018 at 1:43 PM Post #29,838 of 75,149
Listening to my forgotten TP16's today, these are so nice they work with so many genre's. Right now it's Chick Corea Electirc Band and that is sublime. Thin Monk foams on the TP16. Glad I found these in the bottom of my bag at work.

To respond to the other foam questions, I get them on ok just happen to tear almost every third one, I've found that if I stretch them a bit between my fingers they seem to go on easier.

Apr 3, 2018 at 1:58 PM Post #29,839 of 75,149
Venture Electronics Monk Plus Coffee with orange matching coffee full foams on (that's a Cayin N3 in the background). Something tells me I won't be taking those foams off in a hurry. YIKES.

IMG_20180403_185540.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2018 at 2:10 PM Post #29,840 of 75,149
Venture Electronics Monk Plus Coffee with orange full foams on (that's a Cayin N3 in the background). Something tells me I won't be taking those foams off in a hurry. YIKES.
I didn't know it came with matching colour foams. Looking good.

I'm a coffee person :D

Apr 3, 2018 at 3:07 PM Post #29,842 of 75,149
Oh yeah duh they are coffee coloured, hahah. They came in an extra plastic pack, must have been a special addition to the EX pack I ordered with 'em!

My Coffee Monk Plus came with a small pack of black foams and coffee foams.

I did not buy the ex pack with them. I think the ex pack has black, white, blue, red and maybe some hook thingies.

Apr 3, 2018 at 3:23 PM Post #29,843 of 75,149
My Coffee Monk Plus came with a small pack of black foams and coffee foams.

I did not buy the ex pack with them. I think the ex pack has black, white, blue, red and maybe some hook thingies.

Ah OK, it has hook thingies and rubber rings and a bunch of foams in various colours and thiccness. The coffee foams I'm using are nice and thicc. I just have all the accessories in the main EX pack resealable plastic bag. It's a lot.

Apr 3, 2018 at 9:29 PM Post #29,844 of 75,149

Fixed that for you! Please provide a link if possible. Thanks!​

-19871688792112834014.jpg

This the cable i purchased, but i can't post the link here, because, you know, forum rules :dt880smile: but you can easily search them in AE
Nice cable, but i ordered the L shaped head like in the picture (hoping i can use it with my ER4XR). It didn't fit, and using it with the Svara-L is a little bit awkward. If i could rewind time, i would buy the straight mmcx head and with non plastic tubing.

@chinmie nice! I cannot wait to try the balanced cable I got for the TO400s.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32859444405/32859444405.html

The Hiby R6 has a pretty powerful balanced setup so it should drive the 400 ohm TO400s nicely.

Very excited to hear this dap and setup :)

Just make sure you mention to the seller you want the balanced version, as from the picture only, it's all single ended.

I ordered **** PT15 and chatted with the seller that i want the new single hole vent (he also made sure they only sell the new one) ..it arrived with the old four holes version.. Woop dee doo... :o2smile:

I've been using a VE Espresso 2.5mm TRRS > MMCX cable (I have replaced the MMCX connectors), for my various earbuds and earphones, while connected to my ES100.
The standard length (1.2m) cable is fine for when I'm using the ES100 as a USB DAC, but I'm probably going to assemble some shorter cables (MMCX & 2-pin) - for when I'm using the ES100 as a BT Receiver.
The PT15 (~$9), VE Espresso (~$13), and ES100 ($99) - make a great sounding budget Balanced BT HD listening set-up.

I've also listened to my Svara-L (115Ω) using the ES100, and they sound good. One thing I'm thinking about trying, is to use the EarStudio app, and adjust the Treble up a bit for the Svara-L - to see what it does for details and sound stage.

Someone in the ER4 thread posted this method of braiding the cable to shorten thr length a bit. Might come handy using it with the ES100

http://www.animatedknots.com/braid/index.php?Categ=decorative&LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg

Apr 3, 2018 at 9:37 PM Post #29,845 of 75,149
@chinmie i just noticed you have ifi earbuddy , is that need huge power to drive an 32ohm earbud? in next time im planning to get it soon for pair it with my fiio x5 1st and direct it with my buds without an amp but im still doubt my x5 would drive my earbud with earbuddy properly.
currently with my x5 could drive my earbud (most 32ohm) with vol 65/120

I'm using it to drive my 500 ohm buds (yinman and puresounds) from my ipod classic, and even my S7edge, so i think your X5 shouldn't have problems. X5 have variable gain settings i presume?
The earbuddy is great investment, it enhance the sound and doesn't cost too much. Recommended for low impedance buds/phones, as with high impedance ones, the difference in sound is not too noticable

Apr 3, 2018 at 9:41 PM Post #29,846 of 75,149
Often takes me 10 minutes for each foam. Sometimes there are tears of frustration. Unless my husband is home :)

If it's new foam, fluff them a little before applying. I change foams too often when trying new buds that i can put them on fast with ease, unless on slippery metal buds like moondrop's

Apr 3, 2018 at 10:34 PM Post #29,847 of 75,149
I'm using it to drive my 500 ohm buds (yinman and puresounds) from my ipod classic, and even my S7edge, so i think your X5 shouldn't have problems. X5 have variable gain settings i presume?
The earbuddy is great investment, it enhance the sound and doesn't cost too much. Recommended for low impedance buds/phones, as with high impedance ones, the difference in sound is not too noticable
Wow thanks..yes x5 has high gain and low gain, i thought earbuddy just like impendance adapter which increases the impedance of my buds

Apr 3, 2018 at 10:40 PM Post #29,848 of 75,149
Just had a couple of pairs of buds turn up that seem to be great value!

1- Yincrow x6 - AliExpress- $6 ‘ish excellent value and sounds, seems to lack a little sub-bass but otherwise excellent.

2- Willsound mk.1 rev2 - Rholupat- $40 ‘ish this one has everything from nice sub-bass rumble up! Wow!!

Using VE donut foams with both.

Edit: the Willsound might’ve de-throned my favourite buds (Zen 2) but the jury is still out on that. But it’s gonna be a close run thing!

That's great to hear about the new mark 1s! Ordered mine about a week ago, but it will take a month to get to me again.

Everyone should own something from willsound, truly. Even if you have higher end buds, some willsounds for around $40 would be perfect for casual listening out and about. It just feels like his newer buds have few if any downsides for the price...still in love with my SPC cable mark 2s, probably my only earbud that I happily use without bass EQ! My Kinera earbuds can keep up with bass EQ thankfully, but i'd still say mk2s are overall better.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2018 at 11:01 PM Post #29,849 of 75,149
Wow thanks..yes x5 has high gain and low gain, i thought earbuddy just like impendance adapter which increases the impedance of my buds

Sort of.. The result in sound is different than the regular impedance adapter. It lowers the volume output, but doesn't change the sound (much) like an impedance adapter does.

That's great to hear about the new mark 1s! Ordered mine about a week ago, but it will take a month to get to me again.

Everyone should own something from willsound, truly. Even if you have higher end buds, some willsounds for around $40 would be perfect for casual listening out and about. It just feels like his newer buds have few if any downsides for the price...still in love with my SPC cable mark 2s, probably my only earbud that I happily use without bass EQ! My Kinera earbuds can keep up with bass EQ thankfully, but i'd still say mk2s are overall better.

True! The MK2 remains one of my favorite bass buds to this day.. Well, not just bass, it's one of my favourite overall sounding buds!

Apr 3, 2018 at 11:12 PM Post #29,850 of 75,149

True! The MK2 remains one of my favorite bass buds to this day.. Well, not just bass, it's one of my favourite overall sounding buds!

I'm pretty sure the MK2's will be my next purchase in a month or so :)

And thanks for the cable info!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back