Earbuds Round-Up
Apr 4, 2018 at 11:00 AM Post #29,866 of 75,235
The Raven mk2 is certainly a step up from Edimun, but don’t take this as anything against it as I love them both.

I wasn’t nearly as impressed with Red Demun, but it’s cable is awfully stiff which ruins it for me.

Apr 4, 2018 at 11:06 AM Post #29,867 of 75,235
16F0D985-578B-41E0-B519-0E202B1C8A50.jpeg
Really, really impressed by the Willsound mk.1 Rev.2 even if it is very, very Red! Plenty of lows and detail all the way up through to the top end.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2018 at 11:18 AM Post #29,868 of 75,235
The Raven mk2 is certainly a step up from Edimun, but don’t take this as anything against it as I love them both.

I wasn’t nearly as impressed with Red Demun, but it’s cable is awfully stiff which ruins it for me.

yup, the Achilles heel for red demun is always the stiff cable and fitting. if you can wear them without it moving, then you have a golden buds right there :ksc75smile:

I'm lucky enough that it fits snuggly that it won't move. to lessen the stiff cable, i loosen the braid from the buds to the splitter

Apr 4, 2018 at 12:49 PM Post #29,869 of 75,235
Welp, looks like I actually have a legitimate reason to buy new earbuds now xD

Last night, the left bud of Monk+ separated in my ear and when it did so, one of the very thin wires inside snapped. There go my commute/beater buds.

Any cheap suggestions for <$10? I know the general recommendations but now I kind of want something better built than the Monk+.

Apr 4, 2018 at 1:02 PM Post #29,870 of 75,235
Welp, looks like I actually have a legitimate reason to buy new earbuds now xD

Last night, the left bud of Monk+ separated in my ear and when it did so, one of the very thin wires inside snapped. There go my commute/beater buds.

Any cheap suggestions for <$10? I know the general recommendations but now I kind of want something better built than the Monk+.

Monk Lite

Apr 4, 2018 at 1:12 PM Post #29,872 of 75,235
How's the build on those?

I *have* owned my Monk+ for ~ 2 years now, but I didn't abuse it or anything. I don't want a repeat of this happening out of nowhere.
Honestly if 2 years is premature failure to you I'm not sure you may find something better. Good luck as MP are pretty solidly built for the $

Apr 4, 2018 at 1:18 PM Post #29,873 of 75,235
Honestly if 2 years is premature failure to you I'm not sure you may find something better. Good luck as MP are pretty solidly built for the $
Not a bad point.

I guess part of me is still used to the "full can" life. Earbuds do tend to go through more stress than other sound devices.

Apr 4, 2018 at 1:25 PM Post #29,874 of 75,235
Never noticed this review of the DSQM Z&W Panda PK2 going up at the time. I have been using these for a while as my "drift off to sleep" buds. Quite like these and the shell is comfortable, even lying on my side. They have put up with some abuse over the last couple of months. I'm never sure when I'm going to wake up to find a loose wire or detached bud. Hopefully not :)

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/dqsm-z-w-panda-pk2s-earbuds.22910/reviews

Apr 4, 2018 at 1:56 PM Post #29,875 of 75,235
So after having been out of the earbuds game for a while I recently brought a monk plus to tide me over while I'm trying to decide what TOTL bud to buy. It arrived this morning and I must say that I've definitely missed the convenience and form factor of buds. Due to recurring ear infections for years I've not been able to use anything which penetrates inside the ear canal, so Ive been dragging around full size cans (+ DACs, cables etc..). With these on its so easy to forget they're even there, which is absolutely brilliant. Made me thinking of the inconviences Ive been accustomed to bearing in the pursuit of sound quality.

The monk + was definity the best buds I've ever heard and gave me confidence that these days earbuds can deliver. i last used earbuds 6-7 years ago and pretty much wrote then off, but it was great to discover that there is definitely potential out there in 2018.

They sound pretty good from my phone, but when I plugged them into a chord mojo alongside my Shure 1540s, I was very suprised at how well a £5 earbud could hold up vs a £400 full sized closed back. They sounded great. It pains me to say that the full sized will be staying at home from now on, and earbuds will take over the majority of my listening time.

Now to choose a TOTL earbud... The number of options is a bit overwhelming but I'm hoping one of them could offer a significant jump on the monks.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2018 at 2:01 PM Post #29,876 of 75,235
Not a bad point.

I guess part of me is still used to the "full can" life. Earbuds do tend to go through more stress than other sound devices.
I would suggest emxs500 but the original emx500 had QC issues. Although the new one may address this as I have not read any negative feedback on that bud so far.

Apr 4, 2018 at 2:05 PM Post #29,877 of 75,235
So after having been out of the earbuds game for a while I recently brought a monk plus to tide me over while I'm trying to decide what TOTL bud to buy. It arrived this morning and I must say that I've definitely missed the convenience and form factor of buds. Due to recurring ear infections for years I've not been able to use anything which penetrates inside the ear canal, so Ive been dragging around full size cans (+ DACs, cables etc..). With these on its so easy to forget they're even there, which is absolutely brilliant. Made me thinking of the inconviences Ive been accustomed to in the pursuit of sound quality.

The monk + was definity the best buds I've ever heard and gave me confidence that these days earbuds can deliver. i last used earbuds 6-7 years ago and pretty much wrote then off, but it was great to discover that there is definitely potential out there in 2018.

They sound pretty good from my phone, but when I plugged them into a chord mojo alongside my Shure 1540s, I was very suprised at how well a £5 earbud could hold up vs a £400 full sized closed back. They sounded great. It pains me to say that the full sized will be staying at home from now on, and earbuds will take over the majority of my listening time.

Now to choose a TOTL earbud... The number of options is a bit overwhelming but I'm hoping one of them could offer a significant jump on the monks.
All the earbuds I’ve owned since my monk plus have been better in some area, all the TOTL buds (or near TOTL) have been significantly better in every regard.

If the monks surprised you with their SQ then the premium earbuds will definitely bring a smile to your face :)

I think the natural upgrade path from the monk is the Zen earbud. But I also think the shozy bk has similar traits in regards to tonality and a slight hint of darkness/warmth but without the usual dull/rolled off treble that you expect from such a bud. It’s quite airy and decently extended. Bass quality is much better on the bk though, more texture, weight and control.

The nice thing about the BK is it’s linear quality, there are no overly emphasised or sharp drops in the frequency response (to my ear) so whilst the mid bass to low mids have a slight emphasis, there is no frequency being sacrificed because of it. The full vocal spectrum is clearly defined and slightly pushed forward so every lyric has detail and authority. Not yo mention the quality of natural instruments like strings/drums/metal and brass. They all sound excellent and all hold a presence amoung the others.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2018 at 2:45 PM Post #29,878 of 75,235
How's the build on those?

I *have* owned my Monk+ for ~ 2 years now, but I didn't abuse it or anything. I don't want a repeat of this happening out of nowhere.

That sounds like a reasonable life for the cost. To me the Lite is better build and better sound.

Apr 4, 2018 at 3:50 PM Post #29,879 of 75,235
That sounds like a reasonable life for the cost. To me the Lite is better build and better sound.
Would also be beneficial to mention which version you are talking about (40/120 ohm, regular or spc cable)

Apr 4, 2018 at 4:11 PM Post #29,880 of 75,235
Would also be beneficial to mention which version you are talking about (40/120 ohm, regular or spc cable)

Right you are. 120 reg. Excellent bargain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back