Earbuds Round-Up
Apr 4, 2018 at 7:19 PM Post #29,897 of 75,069
Which is why I have never made the jump, so wanted to several times but after I factor in shipping it was always too rich for my blood.

It has always stopped me as well...until earlier today...I'm a bad boy.

Apr 4, 2018 at 7:21 PM Post #29,898 of 75,069
I remember when rholupat only charged $8 shipping, those were the days.

Local currency likely has not behaved favorably and/or the local authorities need a bigger cut.

Apr 4, 2018 at 10:55 PM Post #29,900 of 75,069
Tank! Will spend the next several hours trying to find a good fit position.
DZ_JbA_U8AAJS9C.jpg

Apr 5, 2018 at 3:17 AM Post #29,901 of 75,069
Quick question before I go even deeper into the BUDS. Got a **** PT15 on the way which I'm told is a good entry level, main question is should I aim for an open back earbud if I wanna hear everything going on around me or will the incomplete seal be enough to hear ambient sounds? I haven't used earbuds in years.

Apr 5, 2018 at 4:21 AM Post #29,902 of 75,069
Im pretty sure that all earbuds allow a degree of ambient sound to enter, unless you have the volume at ear-splitting levels.

In other news, I finally located an original Monk only to find that ABnormal dont do the Diomnes conversion any more :frowning2:

In further news, Crow Audio have another bud in the pipeline. :)

Apr 5, 2018 at 4:40 AM Post #29,903 of 75,069
Quick question before I go even deeper into the BUDS. Got a **** PT15 on the way which I'm told is a good entry level, main question is should I aim for an open back earbud if I wanna hear everything going on around me or will the incomplete seal be enough to hear ambient sounds? I haven't used earbuds in years.
Most buds are open in some way behind the driver, but the open sound usually comes from the imperfect seal provided even with thick foam.

Tuning is done by the vents so in essence it’s like openback or semi openback depending on the earbud.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2018 at 5:02 AM Post #29,904 of 75,069
So ive been away for a bit, what are some newer earbuds up around the B160/B320 and Diomnes..?? I know about the CF 2, need to get a pair some time around. Anything else comparable..??

Hi! Well, Cypherus has recently released ZoomFred. There's also Penon BS1 which is hyped a bit in this thread. As well as a few new K earbuds. I haven't tried any of them but am thinking about buying ZoomFred...

Apr 5, 2018 at 5:16 AM Post #29,905 of 75,069
Hi! Well, Cypherus has recently released ZoomFred. There's also Penon BS1 which is hyped a bit in this thread. As well as a few new K earbuds. I haven't tried any of them but am thinking about buying ZoomFred...

Danneq! How ya doing :) exactly the reply i was after. Well it looks like im gonna have to grab either the CF2 or ZoomFred then. I see you have added a few buds since i have been away. Nice!

Apr 5, 2018 at 5:27 AM Post #29,906 of 75,069
I love the sound of these tanks but the fit is a bit uncomfortable. The diameter seems a bit large for my left ear and so it's hard to sit them comfortably before feeling some strain after a few minutes. Tried over ear and different foam setups as well.

Apr 5, 2018 at 6:03 AM Post #29,907 of 75,069
Most buds are open in some way behind the driver, but the open sound usually comes from the imperfect seal provided even with thick foam.

Tuning is done by the vents so in essence it’s like openback or semi openback depending on the earbud.

Thanks. I'll just patiently await delivery before deciding which to get next, kinda worried about fit too.

Apr 5, 2018 at 6:39 AM Post #29,908 of 75,069
Yep my self imposed moratorium on buying lasted 12 weeks into the new year. if you don't mind me asking what were you quoted as shipping, last year I was quoted $30 which seemed high to me or maybe I'm cheap.

I went the cheap no tracking for $12.

Apr 5, 2018 at 6:48 AM Post #29,910 of 75,069
Well my monk lite 120 ohm arrived today... I’d be lying if I said I was impressed, I don’t think the price-performance can stand up to the emx500/vido etc.

It just lacks clarity for me, it’s more balanced than the monk plus but lacks the personality that bud had. With the monk plus you could appreciate the dark signature and slightly artificial but airy treble. This time around I feel as though the monk lite is trying to be a jack of all trades but ultimately it is master of none. Also it doesn’t seem to scale well to a more powerful source despite being 120 ohm. I found it no different in quality being driven from my iphone 6s than my V20 in high impendance mode. I’ll burn it in to see if anything changes though.

Ok but on to the positives. It’s balanced sounding, not so much ‘natural/neutral’ but it’s overall fairly balanced albeit slightly too rolled off in the treble and sub bass. The size is perfect for a sleeping bud, it’s extremely thin and doesn’t protude from the ear at all. So that’s what I’ll use it for! It’s the only bud that doesn’t hurt if I rest my head against a pillow. Even the pk shell buds are a little too thick for that. I find it sounds best foamless or with none of the vents obstructed by foam (so I cut some more hole foamies).

It’s not terrible for the price, it’s about middle of the pack in terms of budget earbuds. But it has to be the most comfortable in ear which is it’s selling point for me!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back