Earbuds Round-Up
Sep 30, 2017 at 2:07 PM Post #23,372 of 75,542
8684113_1.jpg

Sep 30, 2017 at 7:33 PM Post #23,374 of 75,542
So, I ended up putting my babies for sale today. EMX500 made my Meze 99s obsolete. Even though I liked Meze better, it was only by a very small margin and was mostly due to slightly bloated lower mid-range of EMX in its current state (something that I will find a way to change with foam experimentation, I think..). Mezes also have a slightly clearer sound but harsher in a way, even though they are perfectly smooth in an isolated environment.

Kind of a sad day given how little issues I've had with 99s and how amazing they made me feel at times. It took me a month to realize and accept that a 10$ earbud did this, saying this really makes me feel like I'm slightly dead inside.

Oh well, here is to an amazing earbud-driven future!

Sep 30, 2017 at 7:46 PM Post #23,375 of 75,542
So, I ended up putting my babies for sale today. EMX500 made my Meze 99s obsolete. Even though I liked Meze better, it was only by a very small margin and was mostly due to slightly bloated lower mid-range of EMX in its current state (something that I will find a way to change with foam experimentation, I think..). Mezes also have a slightly clearer sound but harsher in a way, even though they are perfectly smooth in an isolated environment.

Kind of a sad day given how little issues I've had with 99s and how amazing they made me feel at times. It took me a month to realize and accept that a 10$ earbud did this, saying this really makes me feel like I'm slightly dead inside.

Oh well, here is to an amazing earbud-driven future!
I have a graphene incoming too

Sep 30, 2017 at 8:22 PM Post #23,377 of 75,542
Many people have praised graphene earbud, perhaps it's time to order a pair as well. Can anyone compare EMX500 to Svara-L for example? I just love the design of it, but I can't imagine it being a true upgrade to EMX.

Going off original Svara, EMX is more balanced where Svara-L might be the closest to a basshead earbud I've heard. It's still really great for vocals with a bassy tilt for fun. Svara-L is my EDC.

Oct 1, 2017 at 3:51 AM Post #23,380 of 75,542
Oct 1, 2017 at 6:16 AM Post #23,383 of 75,542
300-400 usd, wow

The way I see problem with that kind of pricing is that - neither Lyra 6 nor Lyra Classic (Astrotec previous 2nd and 3rd gen flagship earbuds) can be considered ToTL sounding, nor did I find their pricing to be particularly worthy of the SQ they have. So I'll have to wonder how can they justify the new flagship's over-the-top pricing when they have failed to do so (in both SQ and value) in the past? Either these new earbuds really do improve A LOT from the current model, or Astrotec needs to price their earbuds more sensibly.

Oct 1, 2017 at 6:45 AM Post #23,384 of 75,542
The way I see problem with that kind of pricing is that - neither Lyra 6 nor Lyra Classic (Astrotec previous 2nd and 3rd gen flagship earbuds) can be considered ToTL sounding, nor did I find their pricing to be particularly worthy of the SQ they have. So I'll have to wonder how can they justify the new flagship's over-the-top pricing when they have failed to do so (in both SQ and value) in the past? Either these new earbuds really do improve A LOT from the current model, or Astrotec needs to price their earbuds more sensibly.
My totally ungrounded guess would be that, Astrotec aim for the niche market in which buyers buy an earphone in accordance with pricing, regardless of SQ, a philosophy Dr. Fang, boss of HiFiman, blatantly confessed in Baidu tieba.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back