Earbuds Round-Up
Aug 14, 2017 at 9:01 AM Post #22,096 of 75,464
Anyone here has any recommendation for an earbud with a wide soundstage. One of the few earbuds that I've tried with a good one is the TY-150 but it costed me 20 USD. I prefer something below 10USD.

Thanks!

Aug 14, 2017 at 8:33 PM Post #22,099 of 75,464
Can anyone pls recommend something that is tried and tested with the following sound sig

Powered by iPhone
Balanced sound towards the fun side
Large soundstage with minimal sibilance

Thanks

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2017 at 8:36 PM Post #22,100 of 75,464
This is very interesting, and just goes to show how powerful the placebo effect is. Let me explain:

For one, by using blutack you would be completely blocking those vent holes, which I would expect (and have measured) to create an increase at around the 2kHz frequency.

However, the most interesting thing about your example is where you have placed that blutack. That actually isn't a vent, and so it shouldn't make any difference at all. The MX500 shell only has 7 venting holes, the one where the cable goes in, and the other 6 are on the left and right-hand sides of the shell. In stock form the latter 6 are blocked (or rather restricted) by a horseshoe tuning foam.
Oh snap! :cold_sweat: The funny thing is that initially I put Blu-tack on the left and right vents of each shell, leaving the top open, and didn't like it much....... sounded too muffled. So ended up putting it on the top. I do think the thicker foams made a small difference and cut a bit of the sharpness. That being said, I still don't like these, so they are going in the earbud museum.

Aug 15, 2017 at 10:57 AM Post #22,101 of 75,464
Finished my Blur 魔音(2.5mm version) impressions. I have to say, these really grew on me. If Wong managed to nail the sound I get with the Edimun thick foams, these would have knocked down the CampFred 2 from #2.

Blur 魔音 (2.5mm version)

AMP1: TOTL earbud with an analytical, mid-focused signature. Mids can sometimes overpower the rest the frequencies depending on the source. Despite the clinical nature of the mids, vocals still manage to be perfectly smooth. Bass is light in quantity, but extends very deep. It’s subtle, but with a little boost (via thicker foams or EQ), it easily rivals CAX bass. Treble is neutral, yet very clear and detailed. Everything sounds clean and accurate altogether.

AMP2: Bass has more presence, vocals don’t sound as dry, and the smoother highs manage not to lose any detail.

Build: Professional build quality that doesn’t feel DIY. Flexible cable and interesting copper coil splitter. Shipped with an envelope pouch.

Personal thoughts: I really like these with Edimun donut foams (slight bass bump and pushing forward mids back). Seems best suited to classical and rock/metal due to clinical mids and tight, deep bass. May be too bass light for some, but I highly suggest giving these a thorough listen.

Also updated my Top 5 to include the Vido. No longer keeping buds that don't make this list, so I'm currently selling the Shozy BK, Moondrop Liebesleid, and other budget buds.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2017 at 2:38 PM Post #22,102 of 75,464
An earbud has no name:

NZFKgjy.jpg

5cBCP2I.jpg

13.5mm drivers? Wow, it's smaller than the RX-1! Even If they don't sound good the Moondroop design is always lovely.

Aug 15, 2017 at 3:08 PM Post #22,103 of 75,464
Finished my Blur 魔音(2.5mm version) impressions. I have to say, these really grew on me. If Wong managed to nail the sound I get with the Edimun thick foams, these would have knocked down the CampFred 2 from #2.

Also updated my Top 5 to include the Vido. No longer keeping buds that don't make this list, so I'm currently selling the Shozy BK, Moondrop Liebesleid, and other budget buds.

Nice impressions. I absolutely adore my Blur, but I have a regular 3.5mm connector on mine. I did find that the driver needed about 30 hours or burn-in for the mid bass to start to really appear. Moreover, I've learned to enjoy them best with a regular foam and donut over-top of it. The term clinical is probably pretty accurate in your description, however, and kind of bizarrely, there's something very musical about this incredibly clear sound, although it does lean towards analytical. Somehow, it manages a bit of warmth as well. It is a chameleon, and tends to sound best to me out of a tube amp now although at first, I preferred it from solid state moreso. Significant brain burn-in was required for me to adapt to the new presentation of songs I thought I was very familiar with. Turns out, there was much I was missing!

Aug 15, 2017 at 3:12 PM Post #22,104 of 75,464
Also updated my Top 5 to include the Vido.
may i suggest cotton mod for vido to you?
i did apply (it was @ozkan who posted this mod first, i guess) and surprised a lot,
it become a very balanced and much more detailed bud.. i prefer it over diy pk2 but ymmv as always..

IMG_20170815_215033_1502823131541.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2017 at 6:39 PM Post #22,105 of 75,464
Aug 15, 2017 at 7:53 PM Post #22,106 of 75,464
may i suggest cotton mod for vido to you?
i did apply (it was @ozkan who posted this mod first, i guess) and surprised a lot,
it become a very balanced and much more detailed bud.. i prefer it over diy pk2 but ymmv as always..

If you are adventurous enough, try
1 silk
2 glass fiber
3 wool

I tried those on my speakers...all these improved over cotton...silk is best

Aug 15, 2017 at 8:06 PM Post #22,107 of 75,464
Nameless is a super hero in chinese manga.. I watch that manga 20+ years ago...nameless beats most super hero around.

Hope the nameless earbud will beat others as well.

And I'm expecting the next model from them is Brainless.

An earbud has no name:

NZFKgjy.jpg

5cBCP2I.jpg

13.5mm drivers? Wow, it's smaller than the RX-1! Even If they don't sound good the Moondroop design is always lovely.

Aug 15, 2017 at 10:08 PM Post #22,109 of 75,464
They come with straight plug, also in case you don't know, the non-mic version has a J-cable.

Thanks.
Darn, I hate the straight plug, it sticks out too far out of my phone and I'm always afraid it's gonna get bent or break when it's in my pocket. Also, not a fan of the J-cable. :frowning2:

Aug 15, 2017 at 10:14 PM Post #22,110 of 75,464

Can you tell us a little more about the Shozy BK, and the comparison with the blur?
I just received my blur silver yesterday, it is my first earbuds after years in iems.
Initial impression is quite positive, but I need to adjust to the different feeling offered by the earbuds compared with the iem.
A few tracks of listening with my modded dx90 on balanced through pb3 makes me think of my Super 6 Audio 6ba iem.
Need more time to have better impression of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back