Earbuds Round-Up
Apr 10, 2017 at 12:16 PM Post #19,562 of 75,463
Hey, is there a pocket/portable DAP which you would recommend to portable use with high-impedance earbuds, such as TY650, Puresounds 600 and Yinman 500. I am considering a Caiyn n3, but I am not sure whether it's own amping is powerful enough and I am unwilling to carry a "sandwich" around. I do own a Walnut and I hate the piercing upper mids of the second-generation fiios.

Apr 10, 2017 at 12:18 PM Post #19,563 of 75,463
Got my zen 2.0, i guess that my ear hole is big, because i don't get a good seal/fit without foams, like with my monks... And it doesn't sound good at all, and heard that you shouldn't use foams with the zen because it changes the sound... So... Bummer

Mine sounded thin and sometimes shrilly until I started using the rubber rings.  After, I started using them it added bass and fullness to the midrange.  Personally, I dont like using the earhooks because they block the ports on the back. 

Apr 10, 2017 at 12:30 PM Post #19,564 of 75,463

No doubt teh Zen is better than the Monk+, but how much better is it? Since we don't do blind listening tests we may never know. 

The best blind tests are done with an actual blind person because when you lose one of the five senses the other ones perk up, so I hear.

Apr 10, 2017 at 12:38 PM Post #19,565 of 75,463
Can't find the link to the mantis c7 on AE, can you provide the link?

That's weird, since I did check the AliExpress store I bought from (ZS echoes Store), before making my post - that's how I knew the price had dropped to $10.83.

However, I do see now on the listing, that the C7 isn't currently available.  But as I also posted - the same unit is available on Amazon under its actual brand name, of Celebrat C7, for ~$13.

Apr 10, 2017 at 4:53 PM Post #19,567 of 75,463
Hey, is there a pocket/portable DAP which you would recommend to portable use with high-impedance earbuds, such as TY650, Puresounds 600 and Yinman 500. I am considering a Caiyn n3, but I am not sure whether it's own amping is powerful enough and I am unwilling to carry a "sandwich" around. I do own a Walnut and I hate the piercing upper mids of the second-generation fiios.

Aigo Z6 claims 16-600 ohms bit I'll let you know when I get it. Also have a Cayin N5 on the way. No idea why I went so mad :-D but I'll let you know!

Hidizs AP60 with Walnut as amp is a 'sandwich', but a compact sandwich.

Apr 10, 2017 at 4:54 PM Post #19,568 of 75,463
Whatever happened to my Qian39?

All of a sudden I'm starting to enjoy it. Used to place this as my least favorite earbud out of my collection lol

And comfort wise, it's also the most comfortable earbud I've used!

I second your opinion, if I could I´d even shower with the Quian´s, hard to see it getting much better than they are.

Apr 10, 2017 at 5:32 PM Post #19,571 of 75,463
i have a lot of power - the liitle dot I + amp - i mean it sounds good and nice - with donut foams - but i don't hear a difference between them and VE monks - paid 145$ more to get the same sound?

What kinds of music, as to me they sound quite different. But quite dependant on the music style. Vocal driven, or classic rock, nice big productions (Def Leopard Hysteria sounds wow), that sort of thing. Nothing lo-fi, and nothing with death metal vocals for example.

Apr 10, 2017 at 10:15 PM Post #19,573 of 75,463

I was listening to my K's 500 most of today at work, connected to my Cayin N3, playing FLAC files of CD rips.
They sound fine using Medium or High Gain, and Low Gain will work, but the Volume has to be turned most of the way up.

130mW per channel @ 32ohm is a good amount of output for a budget model DAP.
The much more expensive DP-X1 has 150mW per channel @ 32ohm on the Balanced output, and 75mW on the Single-ended output.

You might also consider the new, soon to be released, Shanling M2s.  I'm not sure about the output power, but it looks like it's going to be a good unit.

Apr 10, 2017 at 10:45 PM Post #19,574 of 75,463

I use iBasso DX200 + Puresounds 500 Pop Balanced at High gain and Volume 95/150. No need to use amp. It works fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back