Earbuds Round-Up
Apr 10, 2017 at 4:29 AM Post #19,547 of 75,670
Got my zen 2.0, i guess that my ear hole is big, because i don't get a good seal/fit without foams, like with my monks... And it doesn't sound good at all, and heard that you shouldn't use foams with the zen because it changes the sound... So... Bummer

Apr 10, 2017 at 5:05 AM Post #19,548 of 75,670
The ‘naked’ Zen 2.0 doesn’t work for me either. I wear it with cable up and behind ear, and with hooks holding it in place. The two together (position and hook) colours the sound in a way that I find attractive. You should experiment to find out what works for you. There is no law that says Zen 2.0 can only be worn ‘naked’ and with cable down.

Apr 10, 2017 at 5:37 AM Post #19,550 of 75,670
Hi,
I'm new in this place.
I need to buy foam for my earbuds. I own Monk+, Qian39, SHE3800, E808+ ecc.. VEMonk+'s foam breaks quickly. Need to order pairs that have a good life.
I read variuios post in here but searching for advice is best.
Thanks

ps
I'm not english :)

I bought a ton of these!

10pairs Foam Earbud earphone ear buds Headphone Ear pads cushion Replacement Sponge Covers Tips For Earphone Hollow headphones
http://s.aliexpress.com/viqy6B3Y
(from AliExpress Android)

Apr 10, 2017 at 5:47 AM Post #19,551 of 75,670
Can't find the link to the mantis c7 on AE, can you provide the link?

Personally, I found the C7 to be quite boring.  Just nothing about it impressed me.  I prefer the Mantis Q6 which has a fairly fun sound for around half the cost of the C7.

Apr 10, 2017 at 7:40 AM Post #19,552 of 75,670
Did you buy the same NICEHCK DIY PK2 earbuds from Taobao? Aren't they any good? That's too bad and I guess it was a fail based on the consequence of buying them before everyone else.

I didnt tried those too. Dont write them off yet, they might become good after u tweak them abit. Actually i cabled 2 of them and the other one i actually put some blu tack in the housing with some cotton. Makes them less hollow but still lacking something.

bar3336 just use some donuts if u have as it doesnt alter much of the sound presentation and gives a better seal. Otherwise u can use the rubber rings tho its not really comfortable.

Anw i am starting to prefer the E808+ above the SHE3800 and Qian39 now. These jap buds just sound amazing. And probably the most balanced among the 3.

Apr 10, 2017 at 8:10 AM Post #19,553 of 75,670
Got my zen 2.0, i guess that my ear hole is big, because i don't get a good seal/fit without foams, like with my monks... And it doesn't sound good at all, and heard that you shouldn't use foams with the zen because it changes the sound... So... Bummer

Worth experimenting with the rubber rings, or if they're too thick, carefully cutting the fins off the other rings (the ring bit itself is thinner). Personally I like them best without anything if I can, but I can't move about or anything in that case.

What don't you like about the sound? Or is that mostly influenced by the fit?

Apr 10, 2017 at 8:24 AM Post #19,555 of 75,670
@bar3336
what source or source/amp are you using? i think ive read accounts on here that the zen 2 can be picky with amps. also, there are buds that definitely improves after burn in. im not a believer in burn in at first but my experience proved otherwise. also, play around with foams, positions like what have been suggested above because we have different ear sizes and shape, different setup can have different effect in each of us
edit: i can feel your frustration though. zen 2.0 is currently one of the totl buds and if it doesnt sound a bit different compared to their lowest model that sucks. i believe your setup isnt optimized yet to reach its full potential or you've got a lemon. you should hear improved sound from totl buds compared to budget ones. from my experiences at least, when i had the cygnus monks sounded thin and meh, like layers of sound and life of vocals are missing, i never picked it up again. and trying out campfred made me feel 'wow' for the bass which is lacking in cygnus at first, vocals is still better in cygnus for me though. there's lots to try out that can easily be played by phone but thats for others here to confirm. would also help if you post here music genres you listen to

Apr 10, 2017 at 8:53 AM Post #19,556 of 75,670
Can't find the link to the mantis c7 on AE, can you provide the link?

They are sold out on Aliexpress. If you can't find anything by searching on Ali, use Google.

I found this:
Professional 14.2mm NDFEB Drive Unit HiFi in ear Earphone Music Stereo Noise Cancelling Earphones With Mic for xiaomi Phone MP3
http://s.aliexpress.com/qMjMnMR7

Apr 10, 2017 at 9:09 AM Post #19,557 of 75,670
I think maybe the differences between the monks+ and zen maybe are more subtle than i first thought or what the price difference led me to believe.. But actually it isn't there or worth the extra money spent

Apr 10, 2017 at 9:12 AM Post #19,558 of 75,670
Don't hear much of a difference between the monks+ and the zen... But i guess fit is the problem... When i push them with my hands... They sound better, but don't know if better than the monks... Guess i was waiting to be blown away... And wasn't

That's because you are getting a better seal. Why not use the foams? Some of Zen's appeal is the bass, which you mostly lose when going naked. I never saw the appeal in using earbuds naked. You lose too much bass, especially if there was not much to begin with.

Also, I would recommend a bright (and powerful) source and using thin foams. I feel that the Zen's are too warm as it is.

Apr 10, 2017 at 10:37 AM Post #19,559 of 75,670
I think maybe the differences between the monks+ and zen maybe are more subtle than i first thought or what the price difference led me to believe.. But actually it isn't there or worth the extra money spent

Lee from VE Clan has said said in the past that there isn't a huge difference between the Monk (not sure if the original or the +) and the high impedance VE earbuds. He said higher Ohm are offered because that's what people want, and willing to pay for. They think higher Ohm=higher quality. No doubt teh Zen is better than the Monk+, but how much better is it? Since we don't do blind listening tests we may never know. 

Apr 10, 2017 at 11:28 AM Post #19,560 of 75,670
I've yet to try it but based from what I've been seeing so far in reviews, another contender for low impedance, all arounder, above the budget realm is the Rose Masya. Only 12ohms. Latest review here: http://www.head-fi.org/products/rose-masya/reviews/18370

Users who are viewing this thread

Back