Earbuds Round-Up
Apr 8, 2016 at 3:13 PM Post #3,781 of 75,871
I've got a spare set of Tomahawk because I went a little crazy during the Aliexpress sale. If anyone's in need of earbuds and doesn't want to wait from China I have waaaay more than I mentioned :D

@AudioNewbi3 it sounds like you think the Cygnus has most bass of all, or am i wrong to assume that?

Apr 8, 2016 at 5:16 PM Post #3,782 of 75,871
Major shouts out to Hifiman! My ES100 (favorite earbuds I own regardless of price) developed a buzzing in one of the drivers. Got in touch with their support, sent mine back, today is less than a week since I sent 'em back and I got a brand new set with me right now
biggrin.gif

ES100 deserves more respect than it gets IMO, however I completely understand why people who aren't fans of dark & flat signatures wouldn't like it. Those who like sparkle in their treble need not apply
wink.gif

Apr 8, 2016 at 6:02 PM Post #3,783 of 75,871
If anyone is keen to get some Astrotec Lyra, Massdrop will do a drop if they get 200 requests:

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/astrotec-lyra-earbuds

Apr 8, 2016 at 7:09 PM Post #3,784 of 75,871
  If anyone is keen to get some Astrotec Lyra, Massdrop will do a drop if they get 200 requests:

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/astrotec-lyra-earbuds

Are these the "old Lyras" that have a lot of praise in this thread?

I'm so happy to have my ES100 back again. I think I'm going to buy a second pair. I don't like additional sparkle not in the original recording and the ES100 are still the most neutral, honest, unbiased earbud I have ever heard. Asura 2.0 is VERY close to the ES100 sound but Asura has more emphasis on mids & vocals but still tends to favor the mids of the vocal range.

the ES100 is more balanced and I find it has no bias at all towards any frequencies. When A/B the ES100 with the Monk, the Monk has significantly more present & mids, even compared to the Asura 2.0. It also has less treble sparkle. I notice a lot of people in this thread are a fan of a bit of sparkle, but I am not a very big fan of sparkle. I like my highs to be clear but subdued and can not stand overemphasis of highs or upper mids.

The ES100 is extremely similar to the Sony MDR 7550 in terms of sound signature, I believe. It does not have the best bass extension of all earbuds I own, but it's without a question my favorite earbud I own currently.

I would compare it to the Tomahawk in that it is a jack of all trades but I would never call the ES100 "master of nothing". It is the master of doing everything well.

If it had bass like the Dasetn MC5 it would be a basshead's dream earbud. I would actually dare to call it a more refined MC5 with tighter bass and not quite as low extending.

Apr 8, 2016 at 11:28 PM Post #3,786 of 75,871
  I've got a spare set of Tomahawk because I went a little crazy during the Aliexpress sale. If anyone's in need of earbuds and doesn't want to wait from China I have waaaay more than I mentioned :D

@AudioNewbi3 it sounds like you think the Cygnus has most bass of all, or am i wrong to assume that?

In term of quantity alone, BOE has the most bass in my collection. However, in quality, the Shozy beats it.

I feel that the base of the Shozy is very "tight" and it "hits" very accurately without sounding slow. 

Apr 9, 2016 at 2:40 AM Post #3,787 of 75,871
  In term of quantity alone, BOE has the most bass in my collection. However, in quality, the Shozy beats it.

I feel that the base of the Shozy is very "tight" and it "hits" very accurately without sounding slow. 

thanks for the impression. My Cygnus is still stuck in China post and it's driving me nuts. I can't wait to hear it.

Does it scale with amps better than the Tomahawk did? The Tomahawk really didn't care if you had a smartphone or a fancy tube amp, same sound out of both. Not a very pressing question... I'll have my Cygnus soon enough.

At least the tracking has updated - the tracking for my Rose Mojitos is still "invalid"
triportsad.gif

Apr 9, 2016 at 3:25 AM Post #3,790 of 75,871
So compared to the Asura 2.0, the Tomahawk sound is airy for me (maybe slightly tinny, but I think it's airy). Tried donut, full and no foam... full is a mix between airy and "normal".
I guess I've found my "open headset" vs "closed headset", but for earbuds lol

When listening with the Tomahawks I feel like music and voice is slightly divided (that is a good thing), but the sound is not as full as with the Asura 2.0's. With them I can hear every ever so slight detail in the music; for me those details sometimes make the singer voice fade into the background. But I think Asuras bass is a little lacking, but I can't compare...
Guess time for Cygnus? :)

Apr 9, 2016 at 3:28 AM Post #3,791 of 75,871

thanks for the impression. My Cygnus is still stuck in China post and it's driving me nuts. I can't wait to hear it.

Does it scale with amps better than the Tomahawk did? The Tomahawk really didn't care if you had a smartphone or a fancy tube amp, same sound out of both. Not a very pressing question... I'll have my Cygnus soon enough.

At least the tracking has updated - the tracking for my Rose Mojitos is still "invalid"
triportsad.gif

Hmm, I am sorry, but I seldom go unamped when using my earbuds. Even if I did, I still may not accurately describe the sound signature. I am sorry. 
  Shozy has more bass than a Zen 2.0? I thought Zen 2.0 has the warmest sound of the high end buds? 

Never did I mention the Shozy was better than Zen. Heck, I do not even own a Zen hahaha.

Apr 9, 2016 at 4:08 AM Post #3,793 of 75,871

Hmm, I am sorry, but I seldom go unamped when using my earbuds. Even if I did, I still may not accurately describe the sound signature. I am sorry. 
Never did I mention the Shozy was better than Zen. Heck, I do not even own a Zen hahaha.

There is no right or wrong when describing sound signature! It is as subjective as describing colors :p

You can tell someone something's a flat red and someone else will call it a bright red. It's all relative, so no need to worry too much about getting it perfect.

Apr 9, 2016 at 8:41 AM Post #3,795 of 75,871
Anyway I try to describe what I don't like in Chozy Cignus:
To me it's a little bit too sweet I like more energetic signature. not the best in neutrality.

What I like
Overall these have a good sound, tridimensional, soundstage ok, high airy quite extensive and never annoying.Cygnus also have good layering sound and micro detail.

All naturally imho

Users who are viewing this thread

Back