Earbuds Round-Up
Jan 16, 2016 at 7:56 PM Post #2,011 of 75,149

Different sound signature?! Is it because it is a little bit on the brighter side?

Look at Brooko's VE Zen reviews. I know there's a Monk vs. Zen 2 frequency response comparison somewhere, but maybe I couldn't find it. Here's his Zen 1 vs. Zen 2 comparison chart. Just replace the Zen 1 with Monk since their sound is so similar. Brighter yes, but I'm not really thinking about that as much as how the bass/mid-bass got a massive kick up.

Jan 16, 2016 at 8:12 PM Post #2,012 of 75,149
  Look at Brooko's VE Zen reviews. I know there's a Monk vs. Zen 2 frequency response comparison somewhere, but maybe I couldn't find it. Here's his Zen 1 vs. Zen 2 comparison chart. Just replace the Zen 1 with Monk since their sound is so similar. Brighter yes, but I'm not really thinking about that as much as how the bass/mid-bass got a massive kick up.

Thanks,dude.Now I got it clearly.
beerchug.gif

Jan 17, 2016 at 5:08 AM Post #2,013 of 75,149
Dude,any thoughts on Edifier h180? How does it perform compared to the Monk?

I'm also interested in this comparison as well. I love my Monk but I do wonder how Edifier H180 performs as my pc speakers are Edifier and I like them.

Jan 17, 2016 at 6:15 AM Post #2,014 of 75,149
I'm also interested in this comparison as well. I love my Monk but I do wonder how Edifier H180 performs as my pc speakers are Edifier and I like them.

Dude,check this out. This really had me thinking.....http://www.head-fi.org/products/edifier-hi-fi-stereo-headphone-h180-black/reviews/13194
I also own Edifier 5.1 da5000 PC speakers. They sound good.
beerchug.gif

Jan 17, 2016 at 6:20 AM Post #2,016 of 75,149
That's what even I thought while reading it. Dude,is it worth going for xb90 as we have so many options these days? I always wanted to buy them.

I really really really liked them when I was into bass music. I am very much so into acoustic and classical pieces now. Lol, it's the progression of most people here. Anywho, I might be willing to sell mine.

Jan 17, 2016 at 6:47 AM Post #2,017 of 75,149
I really really really liked them when I was into bass music. I am very much so into acoustic and classical pieces now. Lol, it's the progression of most people here. Anywho, I might be willing to sell mine.

+1 for xb90ex... well, they're pretty good for those genres too
tongue_smile.gif
though I have been using my FXH30s a lot more for some reason... <$100 headphones are crazy good these days. Still, I wish I lived in a place quiet enough I could use the Zen 2 and others on the go... really like that almost open-back sound quality earbuds seem to have & also not needing to jam them into my ears.

Jan 17, 2016 at 6:51 AM Post #2,018 of 75,149

No, thanks dude!
biggrin.gif
I got your point... haha I think that guy really messed up his review. He said it sounded similar to some Grado over-ear headphones!

Jan 17, 2016 at 8:12 AM Post #2,019 of 75,149
More than a progression I'll just call it personal taste: I have both Monks and H180 and although I prefer Monk's mids and highs I overly prefer H180 sound, it's more funny to listen, Monks are too mid centric to me (I mainly listen trance music if that means something).

But H180 treble is really rolled off, so my favourite bud right now is Edifier H185 as it has nice highs and with some bass boost it sounds quite good.

Jan 17, 2016 at 8:33 AM Post #2,020 of 75,149
More than a progression I'll just call it personal taste: I have both Monks and H180 and although I prefer Monk's mids and highs I overly prefer H180 sound, it's more funny to listen, Monks are too mid centric to me (I mainly listen trance music if that means something).

But H180 treble is really rolled off, so my favourite bud right now is Edifier H185 as it has nice highs and with some bass boost it sounds quite good.

Thanks for your opinion,dude! How are the mids and lows(especially subbass) of 185 compared to the Monk?
confused_face_2.gif

Jan 17, 2016 at 9:12 AM Post #2,021 of 75,149

Thanks for your opinion,dude! How are the mids and lows(especially subbass) of 185 compared to the Monk?
confused_face_2.gif

H185 has much better bass than Monks, maybe it's due to fit problems, but Monk's bass is really anemic for my tastes. And mids are the oposite, in H185 they are quite recessed and in Monk they are more present.

As I told, all depends to what you prefer, it seems that most here prefer Monk's sound signature, but I prefer V shaped sound, and right now the earbud I found that gives me the most similar sound to my Beyerdynamic DT770 are H185 (with aditional bass boost), but I'm not really an expert (I only have Yuin PK3, VE Monk, Edifier H180 and Edifier H185) and maybe there are other options that would suit better my tastes.

Jan 17, 2016 at 9:21 AM Post #2,022 of 75,149

H185 has much better bass than Monks, maybe it's due to fit problems, but Monk's bass is really anemic for my tastes. And mids are the oposite, in H185 they are quite recessed and in Monk they are more present.

As I told, all depends to what you prefer, it seems that most here prefer Monk's sound signature, but I prefer V shaped sound, and right now the earbud I found that gives me the most similar sound to my Beyerdynamic DT770 are H185 (with aditional bass boost), but I'm not really an expert (I only have Yuin PK3, VE Monk, Edifier H180 and Edifier H185) and maybe there are other options that would suit better my tastes.

How is the soundstage? Did you buy it from Ali? I am gonna buy now and I don't want to end up with a fake one.

Jan 17, 2016 at 10:15 AM Post #2,023 of 75,149

Are you using any foams on H180 or naked? Can you please compare Monk and H180 with donut foams on? Thank you.

Jan 17, 2016 at 1:38 PM Post #2,025 of 75,149
As I said I'm not an expert, but I find that soundstage is right (maybe ClieOS and Golov who also have all these buds could help you better) and yes I purchased all of them throught Aliexpress (except PK3 that I bought locally).

I always use earbuds with foams, because other way they don't feel confy and I wear them sometimes all the morning. I've used with donuts and with full foams and I prefer H180 with donuts (they are boomy and highs are rolled off so this way I get some more treble from them), with Monks it doesn't matter which foams I use because neither bass nor treble is good for me (maybe donuts improves highs a bit) and I use H185 with full foams as their highs are really bright but it lacks some bass (not in quality but in quantity) and then I get some warmer sound from them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back