Earbuds Round-Up
Jan 18, 2016 at 4:05 PM Post #2,027 of 75,325
hey!
Does anyone know of a decent headphones with earpieces? I mean something like this
http://www.amazon.com/Philips-SHS3200BK-37-Flexible-Headphones/dp/B003CJTR82

This earpieces are very helpful when I run :wink:

Jan 19, 2016 at 2:46 AM Post #2,029 of 75,325
  hey!
Does anyone know of a decent headphones with earpieces? I mean something like this
http://www.amazon.com/Philips-SHS3200BK-37-Flexible-Headphones/dp/B003CJTR82

This earpieces are very helpful when I run :wink:

If you are prepared to pay a bit more (all of them between $100-200): B&O A8 (or the newer smartphone version B&O 3i), Creative Aurvana, Audio Technica ATH EC707 or Astrotec Lyra 6.

Jan 19, 2016 at 2:59 AM Post #2,030 of 75,325
A package from Hong Kong arrived yesterday. In it, there was a pair of Celsus Gramo One earbuds (I bought from bigbargainonline on Ebay, which is the same as Penon Audio).

How do they sound? Well, I have never before heard such neutral earbuds. Completely transparent and no coloration at all. When I compared them to Blox TM7 and other expensive earbuds, everything sounds very colored and EQ'd compared to the Gramo One. I love the fun factor in TM7, and the Gramo One are so flat that they almost sound "boring" when you come from a pair of more colored earbuds.

I'd have to say that the Celsus Gramo One truly are reference earbuds. Nothing really sticks out, ie bass, mids or treble. Everything is in its perfect place. Still they are very detailed and soundstage is very wide and deep. The only small complaint I have (except for them being too neutral and transparent) is that soundstage is not as tall as I would want.

Are they worth $249? Well, they are not $100 better than Blox TM7 or VE Zen 2.0, just different. They should cost no more than $199 and they could easily cost $150 considering the only accessories included is a leather pouch and a few donut foams.

One interesting thing is that the earbuds have got a vent in the back and if you cover it with your finger the sound changes completely, ie bass disappears and soundstage collapses. I have never before encountered earbuds with such an open design.

(Not my photo):

If you are looking for the perfect neutral and transparent earbud, there is only one current option: Celsus Gramo One. If only the price only could be lowered to around the same level as other high end earbuds (around $150)...

Jan 19, 2016 at 4:51 AM Post #2,031 of 75,325
If you are looking for the perfect neutral and transparent earbud, there is only one current option: Celsus Gramo One. If only the price only could be lowered to around the same level as other high end earbuds (around $150)...

Always interested in Celsus Gramo One myself, but price has been the biggest factor that stops me.

Jan 19, 2016 at 4:58 AM Post #2,032 of 75,325
Always interested in Celsus Gramo One myself, but price has been the biggest factor that stops me.

I agree. If I hadn't sold some stuff it would have been difficult to justify the price. Although I have paid more for earbuds earlier. I think I paid around $250 for my pair of Sony MDR-E252 about 3 years ago. But that was a pair of 30 year old earbuds new in the box. Other vintage Sony and Aiwa earbuds can demand high prices. I once took part in an auction on Ebay for a pair of Aiwa HP-V9, and I stopped bidding around €600. They finished at over €800!

Anyway, the Gramo One are very good, but could easily cost $100 less...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back