Earbuds Round-Up
Jan 20, 2016 at 11:16 PM Post #2,046 of 75,334
I forgot to thank Golov17 for this one. Bought it right away! I have been curious about the Tomahawk for a long time. I bought the DK-PU wood earbuds from the same Aliexpress seller, but he didn't have the Tomahawk 3 weeks ago. And here I wanted to go easy on buying new earbuds after buying the Celsus Gramo One a few days ago! $249 is a lot for a pair of earbuds, but I recently sold some headphones that I didn't use anymore (Sennheiser PX100, AKG K420 & K518DJ) plus some old FiiO headphone amps (E3 & E5) and a bunch of DVD & Blu ray movies and I got close to $220 in total for my old stuff. So I suppose I "only" paid around $30 in "new money" for the Gramo One.

Will share my impressions of both the Gramo One and the Tomahawks when they have arrived.

Danneq, did you receive these yet? My impatience to hear your findings forced this serial lurker to join up.

Jan 21, 2016 at 12:33 AM Post #2,047 of 75,334
Jan 21, 2016 at 2:30 AM Post #2,048 of 75,334
  Danneq, did you receive these yet? My impatience to hear your findings forced this serial lurker to join up.

Hi,

I just ordered these on the 17th, and when I bought the DK-PU wood earbuds from the same seller, it took a little over 14 days from China to Sweden. So I might receive the earbuds the first week in February...

Jan 21, 2016 at 2:33 AM Post #2,049 of 75,334

Earbud Thailand - Black Onyx Earbud

My Review:  http://www.head-fi.org/products/earbud-thailand-black-onyx-earbud-boe/reviews/14988

--

They look a lot like Blox TM7! Is the black color matte or more shiny?

Here's a picture of the TM7 (once again, not mine):

Jan 21, 2016 at 2:34 AM Post #2,050 of 75,334

Hi,

I just ordered these on the 17th, and when I bought the DK-PU wood earbuds from the same seller, it took a little over 14 days from China to Sweden. So I might receive the earbuds the first week in February...

Ah, didn't realize you'd only just ordered them. Have to hold back my enthusiasm for a few weeks then.

Jan 21, 2016 at 9:20 AM Post #2,052 of 75,334

They look a lot like Blox TM7! Is the black color matte or more shiny?

Here's a picture of the TM7 (once again, not mine):

Yes, they do look identical on the outside, though my guess is they are different on the inside.  But with so many OEM companies making earbuds, who knows??

I've never tried the TM7, I just know I REALLY like the BOE.

--

Jan 21, 2016 at 3:20 PM Post #2,055 of 75,334
Great review. Do you prefer it over Monk?

I asked him the same question on the page but still no answer.

Ha, totally missed these questions as I have been SUPER busy reviewing a bunch of awesome products.

BOE vs Monk.  

Well first of all, you could have 6 Monks for the price of one BOE.  So I find it hard to compare the two.

The Monk is a budget beast.  Build with the toughest cable I have ever seen on an earbud.  Where the BOE is much more delicate.  

Sound wise they are not that far off, both not being too colored or overall bassy.  The BOE does have a bigger soundstage and a little more "meat" to the sound signature though.

To which I prefer, well I guess it depends on the situation.  The Monk is my travel pair, easy to throw in a bag or just leave laying around as it is built to take it.

I use the BOE for more analytical applications, like when I am editing photos on reviews for hours at a time.

Hope that helps answer your question a little.  I say just buy both.  Enjoy.

EDIT, here is what I wrote in the comment section about the Monk vs Asura vs BOE:

Let me do my best to break them down.  Best Sound for a budget, the Monk wins hands down with its overall smooth yet still detailed sound signature and super tough build.   My thoughts on the Asura can be found in my review link a couple comments up.  I will say the Asura and BOE are a closer match.  The Asura has a slight edge in analytical presentation and build quality with its awesome cable.  The BOE has the bigger soundstage and great solid, controlled bass.  I love all three earbuds for what they each can do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back