Earbuds Round-Up
Aug 26, 2023 at 12:22 AM Post #71,357 of 75,861
Widing has a new interesting earbud.

1 Balanced Armature +1 Dynamic driver combination.

You can see the BA driver right over there:

badyna.jpg

Aug 26, 2023 at 4:42 AM Post #71,358 of 75,861

badyna.jpg
Do you have a link? Can not seem to find it. Thank you.

Aug 26, 2023 at 5:31 AM Post #71,359 of 75,861
Aug 26, 2023 at 5:52 AM Post #71,360 of 75,861
Had anyone try both Ucotech ES2203 Brillante and Fiio FF5 ?

Would like to know your thought about how similar or different are they?

FF5 price in Aliexpress is very tempting. 😆😆
yes, i own both and still have to write something about the ucotech. But to sum it up, the ucotech is percepted a lot brighter and must have a spike somewhere, that caused me tinitus on the right ear for about 5 days after listening to it for 2 days straight. it might be better suited for someone without treble sensitivity. bass wise its similar but not as good as the ff5 as is soundstage. the ff5 sounds a little colder although its not brighter. but not by much. notes are a little rougher with the ff5, which could be a good thing for electric guitars and such, while the ucotechs are slightly more smoothed out. i cannot see any advantages in the ucotech compared to the ff5 even though the ff5 arent my ideal in this price range. maybe the ucotechs might be something for vocal lovers and pina gain fans.

if it has to be fiio i am into the EM5 for about everything hifi and they have the second best out of the head experience of any headphone i have ever heard yet, but it costs at least 199 EUR. for cheaper you cant go wrong with the ff3, which i prefer over the ff5, even though the bass is too much for me by quite a bit. there is something fatiguing to me in the mids of the ff5, while i found the ff3 quite relaxing besides the bass. I like the better out of the head experience, as the listener is pulled further back from the stage with the ff3.

i am very much into soundstage and since i discovered the faaeal iris 2.0 i have hard times to find a better out of the head/speaker-like experience, no matter which formfactor to use. so the iris got 95% of my listening time the last week(s) and still is in my ears right now. bass is bloaty tho, which might be the only weakness. Bass quality is a lot worse than ff3. still it fits somehow into the presentation and i got used to it. the mids and treble on the other hand i find sweet and very natural. timbre is quite life like, even tho not the best in this category, but more so than the FF fiios. at least thats how my 50 years old ears percieve them. oh, I listen at extremly low volumes and most of the time besides some test tracks i almost hate any kind of vocals. my music is 98% vocalfree. also i couldnt care less for the last few details i might miss with a phone. dont want to count the strings on a violine, but see the whole orchestra. yes, i am special, my mom said back in the days...

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2023 at 10:05 AM Post #71,362 of 75,861

badyna.jpg
That exposed BA driver is pretty badass. That said, I have not been a fan of BA drivers in IEMs, they always sound a bit artificial to me. I'm VERY curious to see what they'd be like in an earbud, but at the same time I'm honestly pretty skeptical :p

Aug 26, 2023 at 10:11 AM Post #71,363 of 75,861
No link, it should be out in September.

Someone might have posted the prototype here, cuz I remember seeing this design somewhere.

My first reaction was. I wanted a magnified BA ( Yes, at least 10 times of that Little BA) place on the Back of DD, then deliver the sound to the front via a cone-opening sound tube.

Heck had any manufacturer even attempted custom shaped gigantic BA flathead?

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2023 at 11:25 AM Post #71,364 of 75,861
yes, i own both and still have to write something about the ucotech. But to sum it up, the ucotech is percepted a lot brighter and must have a spike somewhere, that caused me tinitus on the right ear for about 5 days after listening to it for 2 days straight. it might be better suited for someone without treble sensitivity. bass wise its similar but not as good as the ff5 as is soundstage. the ff5 sounds a little colder although its not brighter. but not by much. notes are a little rougher with the ff5, which could be a good thing for electric guitars and such, while the ucotechs are slightly more smoothed out. i cannot see any advantages in the ucotech compared to the ff5 even though the ff5 arent my ideal in this price range. maybe the ucotechs might be something for vocal lovers and pina gain fans.

if it has to be fiio i am into the EM5 for about everything hifi and they have the second best out of the head experience of any headphone i have ever heard yet, but it costs at least 199 EUR. for cheaper you cant go wrong with the ff3, which i prefer over the ff5, even though the bass is too much for me by quite a bit. there is something fatiguing to me in the mids of the ff5, while i found the ff3 quite relaxing besides the bass. I like the better out of the head experience, as the listener is pulled further back from the stage with the ff3.

i am very much into soundstage and since i discovered the faaeal iris 2.0 i have hard times to find a better out of the head/speaker-like experience, no matter which formfactor to use. so the iris got 95% of my listening time the last week(s) and still is in my ears right now. bass is bloaty tho, which might be the only weakness. Bass quality is a lot worse than ff3. still it fits somehow into the presentation and i got used to it. the mids and treble on the other hand i find sweet and very natural. timbre is quite life like, even tho not the best in this category, but more so than the FF fiios. at least thats how my 50 years old ears percieve them. oh, I listen at extremly low volumes and most of the time besides some test tracks i almost hate any kind of vocals. my music is 98% vocalfree. also i couldnt care less for the last few details i might miss with a phone. dont want to count the strings on a violine, but see the whole orchestra. yes, i am special, my mom said back in the days...
Interesting about hating vocal. Can you share some playlist or recommendations on music you listen to?

Aug 26, 2023 at 11:38 AM Post #71,365 of 75,861
You kind of sound like me. I use the Iris 2.0s—later the Iris Ancestor since it has a mic that I can instantly identify as being on the right side for convenience—and 90–95% of my music is instrumental. About the bloated bass, do you use foams? I feel like I'm one of the minorities that use earbuds bare.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2023 at 12:01 PM Post #71,366 of 75,861
That exposed BA driver is pretty badass. That said, I have not been a fan of BA drivers in IEMs, they always sound a bit artificial to me. I'm VERY curious to see what they'd be like in an earbud, but at the same time I'm honestly pretty skeptical :p
Someone might have posted the prototype here, cuz I remember seeing this design somewhere.

My first reaction was. I wanted a magnified BA ( Yes, at least 10 times of that Little BA) place on the Back of DD, then deliver the sound to the front via a cone-opening sound tube.

Heck had any manufacturer even attempted custom shaped gigantic BA flathead?
Well the Dunu Alpha 1 is the first DD & BA dual driver earbud. Here's a picture of my set which I'm pretty lucky to have now because soon after I bought them the Penon store sold out. These buds have a bigger diameter then the average earbud, so fit is critical. Fortunately for me I use the thinnest silicone ring they supplied sans foams and I get a good fit without hurting my ears. Without a good fit bass drops off dramatically. People did complain that the buds were too big and hurt their ears.

1693065226585.png

Aug 26, 2023 at 12:10 PM Post #71,367 of 75,861
Well the Dunu Alpha 1 is the first DD & BA dual driver earbud. Here's a picture of my set which I'm pretty lucky to have now because soon after I bought them the Penon store sold out. These buds have a bigger diameter then the average earbud, so fit is critical. Fortunately for me I use the thinnest silicone ring they supplied sans foams and I get a good fit without hurting my ears. Without a good fit bass drops off dramatically. People did complain that the buds were too big and hurt their ears.

This reminds me that I have updated my rankings adding a new Flatheads w/ Dual Dynamic Drive table just under the Flatheads w/ Most Exotic Driver table. Check this out at WoodyLuvr's Flathead Corner.

Aug 26, 2023 at 12:18 PM Post #71,368 of 75,861
No link, it should be out in September.

mi21.jpg

mi22.jpg
Rather than looking like something new, that 'aged' patina and old style Chinese characters makes them look like earbuds from the celestial age of China. Maybe saved from the treasures of the Tang dynasty.

Aug 26, 2023 at 12:33 PM Post #71,369 of 75,861
This reminds me that I have updated my rankings adding a new Flatheads w/ Dual Dynamic Drive table just under the Flatheads w/ Most Exotic Driver table. Check this out at WoodyLuvr's Flathead Corner.
Very nice addition to your ever growing list of Flathead earbuds.

Aug 26, 2023 at 2:34 PM Post #71,370 of 75,861
Well the Dunu Alpha 1 is the first DD & BA dual driver earbud. .........
First on the market? I think Smabat st20 pro is dual driver too. also other older double driver.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back