Earbuds Round-Up
Jul 12, 2023 at 4:27 PM Post #70,726 of 75,861
Thank you very much for the info. High expectations on his new buds.

re-terminating… this maybe the reason for the cracking sound in my case. I asked for 4.4m.
That IS very interesting because I asked for 2.2mm balanced. I just never realized that this wasn't their official site. This explains the lack of updates on pictures, and maybe even the inconsistencies with accessories and such?!

Having said that, I think I only remember seeing 3 people having issues with theirs since I bought mine a while back, and 2 of them are right now.

Jul 12, 2023 at 5:05 PM Post #70,727 of 75,861
A real blast from the past... Creative MuVo 128MB and Maxell EB-225 buds. I popped a AAA battery in the player and found out I put some 'Men At Work' and 'R.E.M.' mp3s on it. Still sounds nice. The player retailed for ~ $149.00 back in 2003. Wow!

Creative MuVo 128MB.jpg

Jul 12, 2023 at 5:22 PM Post #70,729 of 75,861
How is Fiio's customer service?
I have found Fiio's customer service to be excellent. In one case I had an FF3 with a faulty 4.4 mm adapter. I reached out via email and they responded promptly with a replacment part.

Another time I had a question regarding the USB-C compatibility of a cable I had purchased, and they set me straight within 48 hours.

Jul 13, 2023 at 7:48 AM Post #70,731 of 75,861
@samandhi I appreciate your detailed responses so far. I will admit though that the FF5 is at the top of my list, simply because there is a domestic distributor here, and one of my favorite headphone haunts has a demo unit on display and stock. While I am the most partial to the Etymotic sound, I generally like, or at least don’t dislike how everything else in my collection sounds as well. So based on what I’ve read so far about the FF5, I don’t expect to be offended by the sound.

In fact, it’s more of a question of physical fit at this point. I’m also curious to see how those will fit onto the UTWS5 TWS converter.

But unfortunately I got hit by Covid so I will need to wait on that jaunt for at least a week or two.

Jul 13, 2023 at 10:57 AM Post #70,733 of 75,861
@samandhi I appreciate your detailed responses so far. I will admit though that the FF5 is at the top of my list, simply because there is a domestic distributor here, and one of my favorite headphone haunts has a demo unit on display and stock. While I am the most partial to the Etymotic sound, I generally like, or at least don’t dislike how everything else in my collection sounds as well. So based on what I’ve read so far about the FF5, I don’t expect to be offended by the sound.

In fact, it’s more of a question of physical fit at this point. I’m also curious to see how those will fit onto the UTWS5 TWS converter.

But unfortunately I got hit by Covid so I will need to wait on that jaunt for at least a week or two.
Hope you recover fully and quickly.

I like the FF5, even more so when I changed to an Openheart 4 Core 6N OCC cable. It added a bit of richness while retaining or increasing the FF5's tonal accuracy.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2023 at 12:29 PM Post #70,734 of 75,861
A real blast from the past... Creative MuVo 128MB and Maxell EB-225 buds. I popped a AAA battery in the player and found out I put some 'Men At Work' and 'R.E.M.' mp3s on it. Still sounds nice. The player retailed for ~ $149.00 back in 2003. Wow!

Creative MuVo 128MB.jpg
Wow that really is a blast from the past! I rocked that when I was a kid. They were indestructible!

Jul 13, 2023 at 1:12 PM Post #70,736 of 75,861
Jul 13, 2023 at 1:16 PM Post #70,737 of 75,861
And to think I rocked one of these (see pic below) as a kid! AM and FM!

Me too, although I don't think mine was a GE. RCA? This was before any Japanese electronics were imported to the US.
When I first got one in the summer between 6th and 7th grade, I used to walk around with it almost all of the time.
As did many others, it being a brand new thing.

Edit: I just looked up when the first pocket transistor radios came out and it was a decade before I got mine (1954 and 1964 respectively). They must have been uncommon for a while though (expensive?) because I don't really remember seeing any much before then. And then suddenly at that time, they were everywhere.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2023 at 4:00 PM Post #70,738 of 75,861

You are welcome!

I really don't think that you can go wrong with the FF5. They have absolutely nothing offensive in their signature. I actually think they are a lot like the RW3000 (with a bit of added warmth) to my ears, though I have never really sat down and properly A/B'ed them.

I certainly hope that you recover quickly. I have been fortunate in that I have only gotten it once since the whole thing started, and that was after all the shots + booster shots, and whatnot.
And to think I rocked one of these (see pic below) as a kid! AM and FM!

1689266339289.png
Nice!

I had one similar to that one. It was an RCA. My grandmother got it for me. She used to work at the RCA plant during WWII, and just kept working there until she took me and my brother to raise when we were lil' tykes. :)

Jul 13, 2023 at 4:55 PM Post #70,739 of 75,861
I suspect the seemingly sudden explosion of pocket transistor radios in the early sixties had - at least in part - to do with the explosion of rock and soul in that same time period. In NYC some great AM radio stations arose then: WINS, WMCA, and WABC, with some great DJs such as Murray the K, Wolfman Jack, Bruce Morrow, etc., who played wide varieties of new music for a few years before corporations tightened playlists or shifted to other formats to increase profits.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2023 at 5:10 PM Post #70,740 of 75,861
I suspect the seemingly sudden explosion of pocket transistor radios in the early sixties had - at least in part - to due with the explosion of rock and soul in that same time period. In NYC some great AM radio stations arose then: WINS, WMCA, and WABC, with some great DJs such as Murray the K, Wolfman Jack, Bruce Morrow, etc., who played wide varieties of new music for a few years before corporations tightened playlists or shifted to other formats to increase profits.
Yeah, adverts ran amok even back then, just in different ways. I remember seeing Marlboro posters plastered ALL over the place (for example). :)

Subject change: So, I decided to dust off my ole' DUNU Alpha 1, so I can give them a good A/B when the 3's come in. I do love them, but I just don't listen to the type of music the benefits from diffuse tuning that often. @WoodyLuvr did you ever get the chance to listen to the Alpha 1's? You may have told me before, but for the life of me, I don't remember. I know there is a few of us (still) in here that have done so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back