Earbuds Round-Up
Jul 12, 2023 at 5:01 AM Post #70,711 of 75,861
FiiO FF5 is your keyword.
I forgot to mention those also. I would probably put them as similar to the RW3000 but a bit thinner in overall note weight (not that, that is a bad thing though). :)
How is Fiio's customer service?
IME it has always been pretty crappy, but I haven't had to use their after service support for a while now, and they could have stepped up their game since that time. Having said that, I have also had the FF3 and FF5 for a while now, and have not had need of it, so there is that.... :)

Jul 12, 2023 at 5:32 AM Post #70,712 of 75,861
@samandhi ,released now but i will get them if the fit is better than FF3:rolling_eyes:
From looking at them, they seem to be shaped very similar to the FF5, which means they have fitment issues of their own (for me at least). It isn't that they don't fit, they do very well. They just tend to not want to stay in my ears because the cable is pretty heavy, and the shape, and being a bit top heavy (a combination of those things anyhow). Having said that, I will be anxious to hear your impressions of them when you get them. Do you still have the FF3 that you can A/B when that time comes?

Jul 12, 2023 at 6:11 AM Post #70,714 of 75,861
How is Fiio's customer service?

I had problems with an order from the Fiio AliExpress Store being damaged in transit, returned, resent and eventually arriving with an item missing.
They sorted it out and refunded the missing item, which I reordered. So my experience with them has been better than average.:)

Jul 12, 2023 at 6:24 AM Post #70,715 of 75,861
The only thing you didn't mention is the type of music you normally would use these with, but my recommendation still would be the Yincrow RW3000 because they are really good with pretty much anything you throw at them. Having said that, I wouldn't look for them to be as bassy as IEMs (not really many earbuds are), but also the RW3000 have really good bass for earbuds (the key phrase here being "for earbuds"). That isn't meant to scare you off, but to keep it realistic. The RW3000 has a full and rich sound, while remaining clear without harshness (IMO).

They also happen to have one of the best cables in the earbud realm as a stock cable, and it is modular. It comes with a 3.5mm SE connector, as well as a 4.4mm balanced connector. I find them to be very comfortable and stable in the ears, and can be worn over ear or straight down (though the cable doesn't have ear molds).

Or, you could go with its older brother, the RW2000 which is similar but is a bit warmer in tonality, and is also smoother up top in the treble area. That isn't to say that they are decidedly veiled or any such nonsense though. They just have more of a musical quality, whereas the RW3000 have more of an analytical nature to them. Both are very versatile though, so I don't think you can go the wrong way as long as you know that going into the purchase. Many folks here enjoy both, or one or the other, but there aren't a whole lot of BAD reviews of either.

Both of these are also very easy to drive, so no worries there. I can't speak for after service support though, because I have had no issues with either of the two mentioned. They really are built like a (light weight) tank. :)
Appreciate the recommendations. I edited my post above; I primarily listen to most pop, rock and electronica. I don't listen to jazz or R&B. Anything else I haven't mentioned, I listen to on a sporadic basis. I think your recommendations will still work here.

Someone in the rec thread brought up the Yincrow X6, which is $10ish. Would you say this can provide a "preview" of what the RW3000 can bring? Or do both buds have way too different sounds?
I'd say TGXear or Rikubuds would meet all but one of your requirements (removable cable).

Both TGXear and Riku offer excellent customer service, and the former provides 2 years no questions asked warranty. TGXEar is based in Canada, and Riku is based in Sweden, and they are both super responsive and easy to talk to.

One thing to be mindful though: Q5k will provide enough power to make their earbuds sound loud, but you're leaving a small portion of the sound quality on the table unless you provide a lot more juice. You may or may not care for that small difference though :)
I don't think I'll miss much in the ways of sound quality. I want this pair partially for outdoor wear, when I'm playing video games on my DS in public transportation and want to be aware of upcoming stops. Might consider home use, but that isn't an absolute priority. Thanks for the recs either way.
That was actually the only one on my shortlist to begin with. I didn't know until coming to this thread that there were far more options to consider!

Jul 12, 2023 at 8:18 AM Post #70,718 of 75,861
I cannot say that I have seen earbud condoms before...if you don't mind what is that and where did you get it from?

Cheers.
Those 'enhancers' came with the buds, but you can still get them on ebay. Search for "Yurbuds", there's 2 sizes, 7 = large, 5 = medium. I think the one's in my pic are # 5's. Remember they were made to fit the Yurbuds buds. Maybe # 7's would fit MX500 size shells(?).

Jul 12, 2023 at 8:24 AM Post #70,719 of 75,861
I was referred to this thread from the recommendations sub-forum.

I’m looking into experimenting with earbuds again, at least 15 years after the last time I used them, and before domed IEMs took over.

Budget: max USD300
Sound signature: Nothing bassier than the Beats Solo 3, and I’m also okay with the Ety’s mostly flat or neutral sound with a slight bass hump. Anything between that. I don’t bother with EQ - not because I see it negatively or believe in some sort of “pure sound” or “sound as intended,” but simply because that’s one extra step I don’t want to bother with.
- (edit) Music I listen to: Little bit of everything. Primarily pop, electronica and rock. No jazz and R&B.
- Removable cable if possible. No preference between MMCX or 2-pin.
- Good build quality. I would prefer not tossing earphones less than one year after buying them. I do my due diligence with maintenance.
- Some form of customer support. I don’t want free replacements five years after I buy, but I would like some recourse if something breaks.
- Sources: iPod Classic, Qudelix 5K, iPhone via Apple dongle

I will throw in a suggestion of the new DUNU Alpha 3. They are sounding very good. It's a quality bud (build and sound) and lower cost than it's FiiO rivals...

Edit: Here's the first review posted by @gadgetgod : https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/dunu-alpha-3.26605/reviews#review-31232

I'm sure our very own @o0genesis0o will be posting a review soon. :relaxed:

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2023 at 8:37 AM Post #70,720 of 75,861
So... just got off a long chat with Mr. Gu ( 顾先生 ) aka Jacky Ku owner of Longyao (Dragon Ballad) Yinman 龙谣音曼 ( 龍謠音曼 ).

Apparently, Jacky didn't like the finish on the metal shells so he had to postpone the 16 JUNE 2023 launch of the metal shelled 150Ω model until 14 AUGUST 2023 when he intends to launch the entire metal shell w/ 2-pin series:
  • Metal Shell Model #1 will be the standard line in 32Ω and 150Ω
  • Metal Shell Model #2 will be the flagship line in 80Ω and 600Ω
All new drivers. And again, now 2-Pin connectors and not mmcx.

Then in MAY 2024 he will launch a New Sandalwood 600Ω Flagship also using 2-Pin connectors. The driver will be updated but currently undecided as he is still developing the shell and needs to test various drivers to see what will work best.

I also discussed some of the reported issues of bad drivers and loose face covers. He said his store on Taobao will honor any of these with full replacement if stock is available or perhaps an equivalent new model when launched. In regards to purchases made from AliExpress resellers he said that they should also honor and replace such defective products but he unfortunately has little control over them and how they conduct their business. He also said he can not control how (well) they recable (when re-terminating) which he thinks may ultimately be a strong factor in explaining these recent issues/failures.

I personally intend to only buy through his official store on Taobao when the new models launch this and next year so as to avoid AliExpress heartache.
I've gone to Taobao several times but have never been able to figure out how to access it in English. Anyone?

Jul 12, 2023 at 10:50 AM Post #70,721 of 75,861
Finally gathered enough courage to order FiiO FF5 and it came very fast from fiio-shop.de (hifi-passion.de). I'm quite new to open earbuds, but own these https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/musicmaker-mrz-tomahawk-hifi-earbud.21377/ First I wasn't very impressed without any foams. Thin sound and not much bass. Then I tried bass foams, and it was better, but ultimately too much bass, and the sound still wasn't very good. Then balanced foams, and the whole sound transformed. Foams make a big difference I see. Haven't tried anything else, or silicone rings? Sound can still be a little bit thin and distant compared to my ATH-MSR7b or how I remember them, but that is not necessarily a bad thing. For sure it's much better than my old earbuds. This is only after one hour of use. The cable is so fancy to me, I'm scared to touch it, and build quality and packaging are excellent.

I do own HD800S and Denon AH-D7200 and tons of other headphones, but don't really use them, and I always like cheaper headphones more for some reason.

Jul 12, 2023 at 11:54 AM Post #70,722 of 75,861
Someone in the rec thread brought up the Yincrow X6, which is $10ish. Would you say this can provide a "preview" of what the RW3000 can bring? Or do both buds have way too different sounds?
If you are going to be listening to them mostly in noisy environments, you could indeed save the cash and get the X6; though I wouldn't call the X6 a preview of the RW3000. The X6 have been around forever because they are really good for a super cheap price. Having said that, the RW3000 are TOTL (or what our own earbud encyclopedia @WoodyLuvr would call on the "God Tier"). But, knowing that in advance will temper your expectations (hopefully). :)
That was actually the only one on my shortlist to begin with. I didn't know until coming to this thread that there were far more options to consider!
They are indeed amazing buds and are also considered TOTL sound. They ARE cheaper than the RW3000, and just about the same price as the RW2000. As mentioned the DUNU Alpha 3 might be worthy for consideration, but I cannot speak to them yet because they are still in transit.

Also, as mentioned the Rikubuds and TGXears might be worth a listen as well. I am not too sure about the TGXears, but I know that @RikudouGoku will tune them to your tastes. Keep in mind though that both of these are DIY buds and not "store bought" buds (if that might matter to you). Both have sold quite a few here and are popular around here also.

And... if none of those suit your fancy, there are a whole lot more out there. The problem is that there are a crap-ton of Chinese no-name buds out there also. It isn't unlike Chi-Fi IEMs nowadays to be honest; you have to weed through the crap to get to the "gold". :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I can't wait to hear on which set you settle! :sunglasses::thumbsup:
Finally gathered enough courage to order FiiO FF5 and it came very fast from fiio-shop.de (hifi-passion.de). I'm quite new to open earbuds, but own these https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/musicmaker-mrz-tomahawk-hifi-earbud.21377/ First I wasn't very impressed without any foams. Thin sound and not much bass. Then I tried bass foams, and it was better, but ultimately too much bass, and the sound still wasn't very good. Then balanced foams, and the whole sound transformed. Foams make a big difference I see. Haven't tried anything else, or silicone rings? Sound can still be a little bit thin and distant compared to my ATH-MSR7b or how I remember them, but that is not necessarily a bad thing. For sure it's much better than my old earbuds. This is only after one hour of use. The cable is so fancy to me, I'm scared to touch it, and build quality and packaging are excellent.

I do own HD800S and Denon AH-D7200 and tons of other headphones, but don't really use them, and I always like cheaper headphones more for some reason.
Congrats on your new shiny! :)

Yes, the FiiO foams seem to make more of a difference to the sound between the different sets, than do other foams (to my ears). Even if I didn't have the FiiO buds, I would probably order their foams for other sets I have. Our own @mt877 did a density test on some known brands, and the FiiOs have a pretty sizeable difference between the types (Bass, Balanced, etc...). They also showed as being very consistent in their build (or density). Other known foams that are great for what they try to achieve are: Heigi, Trig Rain, VE EX Pack, etc...

I would love to hear more impressions of those from you once you have gotten used to the sound differences?! :wink:

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2023 at 11:57 AM Post #70,723 of 75,861
I've gone to Taobao several times but have never been able to figure out how to access it in English. Anyone?
I bought things from Taobao many years ago through a private agent. As far as I know there is still no access via English language like AE has. The merchants there only communicate in Chinese, so you might have issues with communication if you have product issues.

I found a drop shipping agent web page that explains that Taobao will do indirect international shipping to US and some other select countries, not sure when they implemented that though. You have to register at Taobao with your information if you live in one of the select countries and can make purchases, but you still face language problems if you can't read Chinese. At the very end of the web page, the drop ship agent does mention that you can use their services (not free), which might be some good advise if you can't read Chinese. Anyway, here's the link: https://nichedropshipping.com/taobao-shipping-to-usa/ , it's worth a read.

Edit: I think if you use an agent, then you give them a webpage link of the item you want to buy or get more information on and they communicate with the merchant. I think you also purchase through the agent, so you pay the agent and the agent then makes the purchase on your behalf and handles the shipping as well. At least that was how I did it many years ago.

Edit#2: I just wanted to add that Alibaba owns Taobao, AliExpress, TMall and TradeIndia.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2023 at 3:05 PM Post #70,724 of 75,861
So... just got off a long chat with Mr. Gu ( 顾先生 ) aka Jacky Ku owner of Longyao (Dragon Ballad) Yinman 龙谣音曼 ( 龍謠音曼 ).

Apparently, Jacky didn't like the finish on the metal shells so he had to postpone the 16 JUNE 2023 launch of the metal shelled 150Ω model until 14 AUGUST 2023 when he intends to launch the entire metal shell w/ 2-pin series:
  • Metal Shell Model #1 will be the standard line in 32Ω and 150Ω
  • Metal Shell Model #2 will be the flagship line in 80Ω and 600Ω
All new drivers. And again, now 2-Pin connectors and not mmcx.

Then in MAY 2024 he will launch a New Sandalwood 600Ω Flagship also using 2-Pin connectors. The driver will be updated but currently undecided as he is still developing the shell and needs to test various drivers to see what will work best.

I also discussed some of the reported issues of bad drivers and loose face covers. He said his store on Taobao will honor any of these with full replacement if stock is available or perhaps an equivalent new model when launched. In regards to purchases made from AliExpress resellers he said that they should also honor and replace such defective products but he unfortunately has little control over them and how they conduct their business. He also said he can not control how (well) they recable (when re-terminating) which he thinks may ultimately be a strong factor in explaining these recent issues/failures.

I personally intend to only buy through his official store on Taobao when the new models launch this and next year so as to avoid AliExpress heartache.
Thank you very much for the info. High expectations on his new buds.

He also said he can not control how (well) they recable (when re-terminating) which he thinks may ultimately be a strong factor in explaining these recent issues/failures.
re-terminating… this maybe the reason for the cracking sound in my case. I asked for 4.4m.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back