Earbuds Round-Up
Sep 21, 2022 at 2:42 AM Post #65,116 of 75,729
It’s earbuds anonymous…. Not to be confused with @JAnonymous5150. You can tell by the shape of this bud’s curve that it is choked. In truth, I should open it up and retune it, but it’s too much work for this driver. Of course if a damaged the driver, it’s a cool shell for something more inspiring LOL. I’d also prefer to start with a fresh shell. That’s a personal issue of mine. These buds are definitely not horrible now, but they are nothing to get hung about. A great $25 bud after the simple retune if a warm V is your thing.

Sep 21, 2022 at 11:48 AM Post #65,117 of 75,729
I finally got my Smabat M4 today (with the two extra drivers). I will give my impressions (and maybe some comparisons) in another post. Suffice to say that the M4 (with the same SO 100ohm bio driver) sounds VERY different from the M2s Pro with the same driver in it. But for now, here are some pix (for those living under a rock and have never seen them before lol):

20220921_105309.jpg

20220921_105435.jpg

20220921_105443.jpg

20220921_105527.jpg

20220921_105541.jpg

20220921_105629 (2).jpg

20220921_105629.jpg

20220921_105816.jpg

20220921_105840.jpg

20220921_105852.jpg

20220921_112903 (2).jpg

20220921_112903.jpg

Sep 21, 2022 at 12:19 PM Post #65,118 of 75,729
I finally got my Smabat M4 today (with the two extra drivers). I will give my impressions (and maybe some comparisons) in another post. Suffice to say that the M4 (with the same SO 100ohm bio driver) sounds VERY different from the M2s Pro with the same driver in it. But for now, here are some pix (for those living under a rock and have never seen them before lol):

Nice! Now I don't have to feel like the M4 lone wolf around here. LOL.

So you have a Super One driver for your ST20Pro buds is what you're saying right? I'm sure you'll compare M4 ST10s B&G driver vs real ST10s buds. I said they sounded the same to me. I wonder what you'll hear. I do know that you have to screw down the M4 drivers completely or you don't get a good o-ring seal. One of the small o-ring fell out of the driver and was laying in the box under the foam for one of my driver sets, so double check the very small o-ring is installed in the drivers threaded area.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2022 at 1:24 PM Post #65,120 of 75,729
Btw, any info about the size of the Dynamic Driver used on the Chaconne? no that is important, but just out of curiosity. Haven't found info about it.
  • Housing: Machined titanium alloy "TC4" for aircraft, gold-plated brass front housing
  • Cable: 4N silver plated & 6N OCC (litz wire)
  • Liquid crystal polymer (LCP) and polyurethane laminate diaphragms used in satellites and jet engines
  • Driver: 13.5 mm dynamic liquid crystal polymer (LCP) diaphragm, external magnet
  • The name CHACONNE comes from the title of the 5th movement of Bach's Sonata and Partita No. 2 for unaccompanied violin. With a focus on natural sound and sophisticated design, the Suigetsu flagship model was completed over the course of two years after repeated new challenges. The CHACONNE is rich and dynamic, yet delivers the same stable bass as before, a vast soundstage and presence, and a natural and delicate sound.

Sep 21, 2022 at 1:28 PM Post #65,121 of 75,729
  • Housing: Machined titanium alloy "TC4" for aircraft, gold-plated brass front housing
  • Cable: 4N silver plated & 6N OCC (litz wire)
  • Liquid crystal polymer (LCP) and polyurethane laminate diaphragms used in satellites and jet engines
  • Driver: 13.5 mm dynamic liquid crystal polymer (LCP) diaphragm, external magnet
  • The name CHACONNE comes from the title of the 5th movement of Bach's Sonata and Partita No. 2 for unaccompanied violin. With a focus on natural sound and sophisticated design, the Suigetsu flagship model was completed over the course of two years after repeated new challenges. The CHACONNE is rich and dynamic, yet delivers the same stable bass as before, a vast soundstage and presence, and a natural and delicate sound.
Thank you! I really missed that! great size for earbuds, specially compared to many IEMs

Sep 21, 2022 at 1:43 PM Post #65,122 of 75,729
Nice! Now I don't have to feel like the M4 lone wolf around here. LOL.

So you have a Super One driver for your ST20Pro buds is what you're saying right? I'm sure you'll compare M4 ST10s B&G driver vs real ST10s buds. I said they sounded the same to me. I wonder what you'll hear. I do know that you have to screw down the M4 drivers completely or you don't get a good o-ring seal. One of the small o-ring fell out of the driver and was laying in the box under the foam for one of my driver sets, so double check the very small o-ring is installed in the drivers threaded area.
LOL I hear ya' there.

I don't have the St20 Pro. I have the Super One driver for the M2s Pro, and (now) the M4. Yes, I plan on comparing the ST10S with the M4 using the 150Ti driver also. :) I will also be comparing the stock (40ohm) driver to both 40ohm drivers (Ti and LCP) with the M2s Pro.

You know, before I read your post, when I opened the box with the 150Ti driver, I also noticed the same thing (only one ring was "rogue"). Something for all the new owners to make sure to scrutinize. The others were all intact though.

Sep 21, 2022 at 2:57 PM Post #65,123 of 75,729
Heads up for Fiio EM5 users (literally). I wear some buds cable over ear as they are a more stable fit for me. Smabat ST-10s and Yincrow RW1000 work especially well in this configuration. The EM5 isn't a bad fit when used cable down, but it isn't that stable either so today I gave it a try over ear. Looking at the design you would think this would never work which is probably why I never attempted it before, but with my ears it is really stable and comfortable. Soundwise, I don't notice anything different. I can turn my head side to side and move around freely without having to keep adjusting the fit (chin slider assistance helps here). So, if you have fit issues with the EM5 it may be worth a try cable over ear.

With all the talk of the FF3, some love for the EM5 needed. One of the most versatile and enjoyable phones in my collection.

Sep 21, 2022 at 3:34 PM Post #65,124 of 75,729

VERY early impressions: I absolutely love the case that comes with these. They should have been using this one all this time IMO. It is a semi-hard shell, with a (very easy to move) zipper. And the Cable that comes with this is the best one they have included with any of the Smabat buds I have tried thus far.

I really like the fabric material on the M2s Pro cable because it makes the cable super pliable, but it is so thin and light that it actually gets tangled or caught on itself (sticks together). The new cable is plastic coated, making it less pliable, but I wouldn't call it as stubborn as the FiiO FF3. It also simply looks more "high end" than the others. The MMCX connect to the earbuds much like iBasso cables do in their IEMs; VERY tight (so tight, that I had to press REALLY hard on the left one to get it to click), and they don't swivel at all (on my units). But there is NO chin slider on this new cable (how odd).

For the look of the buds themselves, they look exactly like the M2s Pro, but a tad bigger in all dimensions (the shell part), and with different coloring. They actually look a bit more (to use the word again) elegant than the M2s Pro. They are probably the same materials so I don't find them to be much heavier than the M2s Pro or the ST10S (even though those are quite a bit bigger).

Finally, an easy modular system to use. It REALLY is simple! Just screw the driver into place ("righty, tighty - lefty, loosy"). I love the ease at which you can swap out the drivers. And it looks like they made the damper screen a bit easier to get out also. Though I haven't taken it out yet, I noticed that in two places around the damper, it is a bit recessed so that you can get a hold of it with (very small) tweazers.
Sorry, this is the best my phone camera can do even in "Macro" mode
20220921_131755.jpg

20220921_132415.jpg

They have included 3 sets of full foams, and 3 sets of "donut" foams. And I really like the way they packaged them, though this is aesthetics only, and have no real function. The full foams seem to be made fairly poorly because they don't change the sound very much at all. IMO they are really only good for helping to hold them in your ears. Though I could be wrong because the pina gain on these is so boosted I may not be able to hear the (subtle) effect. I have decided to throw some of the Fiio "Bass" foams on these (for the rest of my impressions for today) which DO help.

That brings me to the sound...... Oh boy! I don't know what year it is in China (year of the monkey, or year of the dog, etc...), but I think for Smabat it must be the year of the "ice pick". These have some truly piercing pina gain to them (all three drivers I have). The good news is that even though I would compare the amount that it is boosted to the Maria II, the frequency used is much narrower, so it doesn't change the overall tonality of the signature as much as does the Maria II (to my ears). So, for the rest of the explanation, I decided to use the Super One 100ohm bio driver (to compare to the M2s Pro with the same driver). I also put in the tube amp in my DX300 to help warm things up a bit.

Having said that, I find it really hard to listen to anything metal/rock/hard rock and etc... with ANY sort of volume at all. It seems as though they have boosted the pina gain but decreased the treble and upper bass and sub bass. These become much like a capital "N", where the first peak is the mid bass, and the second one is the pina gain. Though there should be another stick coming off the right side that heads decidedly downwards. Treble IS present, but now sounds very veiled and recessed (compared to the M2s Pro), so the mids are a bit thin and unclear (also because of the lack of upper bass). Sub bass has dimished (in all three drivers) also, but mid bass helps keep things having some pop to them. Sub bass is also there but doesn't go as deep as with the M2s Pro and is recessed.

These are very early impressions, so don't take all of this to heart (though I don't think the piercing upper mids will change all that much over time).

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2022 at 4:29 PM Post #65,125 of 75,729
I’d recommend you use them for like an hour a day for the next two weeks. My 2 buds that I’ve done this study on have reduced the pinna gain dramatically and the deep end of the bass also increases. Especially so with the FiiO Bass foams. They should really make these foams easily purchasable. Their build quality and sound is top notch. I think the thickness just makes them perfectly form to your ear after a few weeks of use. Anyway, I wouldn’t give up just yet.

Sep 21, 2022 at 4:35 PM Post #65,126 of 75,729
I’d recommend you use them for like an hour a day for the next two weeks. My 2 buds that I’ve done this study on have reduced the pinna gain dramatically and the deep end of the bass also increases. Especially so with the FiiO Bass foams. They should really make these foams easily purchasable. Their build quality and sound is top notch. I think the thickness just makes them perfectly form to your ear after a few weeks of use. Anyway, I wouldn’t give up just yet.
Oh, no I haven't nor won't give up on them until I am sure they won't change (or at least my brain gets used to it). And this might also show whether your theory is correct (or burn-in) because listening to them (almost) side by side with the M2s Pro, they are quite a bit different to my ears. If after a few weeks they start sounding more like the M2s Pro, then.....

Now I don't think they will ever sound JUST like the M2s Pro because while the shell is the same (but bigger) there is 0 room behind the driver on the M4, where the M2s Pro has some space before it hits the dampening screen (for instance). This will make a difference IMO.

Anyhow, thanks for the advice! :)

Sep 21, 2022 at 5:57 PM Post #65,127 of 75,729
Heads up for Fiio EM5 users (literally). I wear some buds cable over ear as they are a more stable fit for me. Smabat ST-10s and Yincrow RW1000 work especially well in this configuration. The EM5 isn't a bad fit when used cable down, but it isn't that stable either so today I gave it a try over ear. Looking at the design you would think this would never work which is probably why I never attempted it before, but with my ears it is really stable and comfortable. Soundwise, I don't notice anything different. I can turn my head side to side and move around freely without having to keep adjusting the fit (chin slider assistance helps here). So, if you have fit issues with the EM5 it may be worth a try cable over ear.

With all the talk of the FF3, some love for the EM5 needed. One of the most versatile and enjoyable phones in my collection.
I want to add that MX500 shells might also be worn over the ears. They are more stable in that position. However, I saw my reflection in the mirror and decided not to look more dorky than I already am :dt880smile:

FF3 cannot be worn over the ears due to their long and thin stems.

Anyway, I wouldn’t give up just yet.
I haven't nor won't give up on them

not giving up ever

Sep 21, 2022 at 6:44 PM Post #65,128 of 75,729
I want to add that MX500 shells might also be worn over the ears. They are more stable in that position. However, I saw my reflection in the mirror and decided not to look more dorky than I already am :dt880smile:

FF3 cannot be worn over the ears due to their long and thin stems.

not giving up ever
Oh sure they can. I have worn the Chaconne (much longer stem) over ear... Now when you speak about looking dorky, those take the cake (as it were). :)

LOL That caught me off guard, though I SHOULD have guessed where it would go when clicked... :)

Sep 21, 2022 at 8:04 PM Post #65,129 of 75,729

Hmmm... Thanks for that, I think. For me it requires a lot of fiddling to get it right, and liberal use of the chin slider, but it actually puts the driver in a better place for me (and keeps it there).

I feel like a weirdo wearing it this way though... You're making me weird!

Also I worry about it putting stress on the cable at the stems.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2022 at 8:09 PM Post #65,130 of 75,729
VERY early impressions: I absolutely love the case that comes with these. They should have been using this one all this time IMO. It is a semi-hard shell, with a (very easy to move) zipper. And the Cable that comes with this is the best one they have included with any of the Smabat buds I have tried thus far.

I really like the fabric material on the M2s Pro cable because it makes the cable super pliable, but it is so thin and light that it actually gets tangled or caught on itself (sticks together). The new cable is plastic coated, making it less pliable, but I wouldn't call it as stubborn as the FiiO FF3. It also simply looks more "high end" than the others. The MMCX connect to the earbuds much like iBasso cables do in their IEMs; VERY tight (so tight, that I had to press REALLY hard on the left one to get it to click), and they don't swivel at all (on my units). But there is NO chin slider on this new cable (how odd).

For the look of the buds themselves, they look exactly like the M2s Pro, but a tad bigger in all dimensions (the shell part), and with different coloring. They actually look a bit more (to use the word again) elegant than the M2s Pro. They are probably the same materials so I don't find them to be much heavier than the M2s Pro or the ST10S (even though those are quite a bit bigger).

Finally, an easy modular system to use. It REALLY is simple! Just screw the driver into place ("righty, tighty - lefty, loosy"). I love the ease at which you can swap out the drivers. And it looks like they made the damper screen a bit easier to get out also. Though I haven't taken it out yet, I noticed that in two places around the damper, it is a bit recessed so that you can get a hold of it with (very small) tweazers.
Sorry, this is the best my phone camera can do even in "Macro" mode
20220921_131755.jpg
20220921_132415.jpg

They have included 3 sets of full foams, and 3 sets of "donut" foams. And I really like the way they packaged them, though this is aesthetics only, and have no real function. The full foams seem to be made fairly poorly because they don't change the sound very much at all. IMO they are really only good for helping to hold them in your ears. Though I could be wrong because the pina gain on these is so boosted I may not be able to hear the (subtle) effect. I have decided to throw some of the Fiio "Bass" foams on these (for the rest of my impressions for today) which DO help.

That brings me to the sound...... Oh boy! I don't know what year it is in China (year of the monkey, or year of the dog, etc...), but I think for Smabat it must be the year of the "ice pick". These have some truly piercing pina gain to them (all three drivers I have). The good news is that even though I would compare the amount that it is boosted to the Maria II, the frequency used is much narrower, so it doesn't change the overall tonality of the signature as much as does the Maria II (to my ears). So, for the rest of the explanation, I decided to use the Super One 100ohm bio driver (to compare to the M2s Pro with the same driver). I also put in the tube amp in my DX300 to help warm things up a bit.

Having said that, I find it really hard to listen to anything metal/rock/hard rock and etc... with ANY sort of volume at all. It seems as though they have boosted the pina gain but decreased the treble and upper bass and sub bass. These become much like a capital "N", where the first peak is the mid bass, and the second one is the pina gain. Though there should be another stick coming off the right side that heads decidedly downwards. Treble IS present, but now sounds very veiled and recessed (compared to the M2s Pro), so the mids are a bit thin and unclear (also because of the lack of upper bass). Sub bass has dimished (in all three drivers) also, but mid bass helps keep things having some pop to them. Sub bass is also there but doesn't go as deep as with the M2s Pro and is recessed.

These are very early impressions, so don't take all of this to heart (though I don't think the piercing upper mids will change all that much over time).
RE: M4 tuning dampers.

I got the dampers in today. I wouldn't try to remove the factory installed dampers unless you have backups ready. They are tiny and are held in place with edge adhesive, like double sided tape. Same sort of adhesive used on horseshoe tuning foams / cottons. Funny, not even sure why horseshoe foams are called cottons, must be a Chinese to English translation thing. Anyway, here's a pic. I used a pin for size reference.

I don't think I'll be messing with the tuning dampers until I can sort out how I like the sound with just the factory installed dampers.

M4_Tuning_dampers.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back