Earbuds Round-Up
Sep 20, 2022 at 1:22 PM Post #65,086 of 75,572
If you don't mind me asking, where are you based? There are quite a few DIYers sprinkled around the world, so I would be surprised if you can't find a suitable DIY supplier. As the guru @RikudouGoku always tells me, DIY buds have a much higher price/performance than commercial ones :)
😁😁 You are funny. What does guru mean to you?

Sep 20, 2022 at 1:34 PM Post #65,087 of 75,572
Hi guys. Do you think Moondrop Chaconne is an endgame for orchestral/instrumental music? Is there is any other better for this genere? And I'm referring to comercial earbuds because DIY or Custom made are very difficult to me to get access and pay here in my country. Need to buy from Amazon (preferible).
IMHO I think there is NO better to be had for that type of music. Though I will have to add that the Yincrow RW3000 can come close. I am also of the opinion that not only are those end game in the earbud realm for that type of music, but I haven't heard ANY head gear that sounds as good.... But as always, I have to mention that YMMV. :)

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2022 at 1:34 PM Post #65,088 of 75,572
Though, if I had to choose a limited number, I would say that the Yinman 2.0 600 are TOTL sound for me. I mean with the right amount of power pushing them, there is something truly magical (and addicting) about the sound of these (for me). I would never want to part with these at really any cost.
I feel the same. I have my Blur OFC PK150 Wraith LE; 150Ω and Longyao-Yinman 2.0 600 LE; 600Ω sitting here while I am comparing them to my new tgxear Tantalus MMCX; 500Ω... there is just something special about them all. The Tantalus are "smooth criminal timbre monsters". The Yinman are "dark, romantic, & magical" as you have so eloquently stated. And the Wraith have this "simple effortlessness" and "perfect fit" about them that are so pleasing to me.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2022 at 1:40 PM Post #65,089 of 75,572
I feel the same. I have my Blur OFC PK150 Wraith LE; 150Ω and Longyao-Yinman 2.0 600 LE; 600Ω sitting here while I am comparing them to my new tgxear Tantalus MMCX; 500Ω... there is just something special about them all. The Tantalus are "timbre monsters". The Yinman are "magical & romantic" as you have so eloquently stated. And the Wraith have this "simple effortlessness" about them that are so pleasing to me.
Isn't it always the best feeling when you finally (most times) stumble across something so good, that you just can't believe it, and think you MUST be the luckiest person in the world? Well, that is the feeling I get when that happens... lol

Sep 20, 2022 at 1:58 PM Post #65,090 of 75,572
If you don't mind me asking, where are you based? There are quite a few DIYers sprinkled around the world, so I would be surprised if you can't find a suitable DIY supplier. As the guru @RikudouGoku always tells me, DIY buds have a much higher price/performance than commercial ones :)
Don't say like that. There are a lot of old DIYers here and this content is sensitive for us.
:deadhorse:

Sep 20, 2022 at 2:58 PM Post #65,091 of 75,572
Right now if I had to say 1 was the best of the best, I’d actually say it’s the FiiO FF3. With that said, I don’t really think it exists. There’s just too many flavors of GREAT. I love my tuning of the PK2 driver which measures essentially the same but with a bit more treble and a lot less bass. For acoustic music, I’d pick my PK2. Tonal balance is critical for me. It’s the king of metrics:subjective or objective. The FiiO is generally too bassy when the pinna gain is pristine, but if there was one end of the spectrum that I prefer boosted, it’s the low end. The FiiO remains tight at all settings(foams). Really difficult to criticize even though I have buds that are a bit more even handed, ones that are a bit more detailed, ones with a bigger soundstage, but this one gets it all. Gotta run, break is over.

Sep 20, 2022 at 3:27 PM Post #65,092 of 75,572
Speaking about this, what do our earbud aficionados here vote as the best ever earbud (assuming cost is no concern), in terms of sound quality?

An end game earbud so to speak? Is there such a mythical unicorn?

It might actually save money in the long term getting one end game TOTL earbud, and we stop getting stuck in sidegrade earbud purgatory?
For me, it's @tgx78 's Serratus. I haven't heard else quite like it regardless of type, be it a bud, headphone, or IEM. There's something magical about it. Timbre is spot on, details, separation, center-imaging, tonality all are best in class. The only "weakness" is that it demands my attention and it tends to suck me into the music more than I can afford during work hours! I had the same problem with the U12T but unlike the U12T, Serratus actually has good timbre (phenomenal timbre tbh) while U12T timbre is a bit wonky to my ears. tgx's Alpha actually exceeds the Serratus for certain genres due to an even more beautiful timbre and goes blow for blow with Serratus in terms of technicalities. Where Alpha falls behind Serratus is in bass quantity which in my book is really needed to be an all-rounder. If I could only pick one - it would be Serratus is hands down.

During work hours or when it's closer to bed time, basically when I want something less "distracting," I'd take the Longyao Yinman 600 or @RikudouGoku 's Saber 1/Grand Rider 1.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2022 at 4:49 PM Post #65,094 of 75,572
Where Alpha falls behind Serratus is in bass quantity which in my book is really needed to be an all-rounder.

I thought this on first impression but it does have decent rumble in the sub on Why So Serious by Hans Zimmer and decent percussive impact on my amp. The Serratus gives up the bass extension more easily though.

Sep 20, 2022 at 5:05 PM Post #65,095 of 75,572
Wow so the PK2/PK1 still a thing? I remember I owned the PK2 about ten years ago and really surprised me how good it sounded.
I just have the drivers that I carefully tuned myself. They have one of the most natural presentations I’ve heard. They do lack deep bass, but just a great balanced sound otherwise. I have no idea how they compare to the original. I know they still sell a PK2, but ai believe it’s a completely different driver that is said to be inferior. I cannot validate the rumors.

Sep 20, 2022 at 6:25 PM Post #65,096 of 75,572
Which portable amp you could recommend for power hungry earbuds. My DX320 with modded Amp12 or even the DX240 drives them beautifully. The PXVV sings with the DTR1+ but more headroom is always welcome. I was thinking in the Aroma Audio A100TB or the upcoming Xduoo XD-05Pro.

Sep 20, 2022 at 6:38 PM Post #65,097 of 75,572
Hi guys. Do you think Moondrop Chaconne is an endgame for orchestral/instrumental music? Is there is any other better for this genere? And I'm referring to comercial earbuds because DIY or Custom made are very difficult to me to get access and pay here in my country. Need to buy from Amazon (preferible).
get Grand Archer rikubuds, it is 200 usd cheaper than Chaconne.

To add some more, Chaconne is heavy, and not comfortable for long listening session

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2022 at 6:47 PM Post #65,098 of 75,572
Which portable amp you could recommend for power hungry earbuds. My DX320 with modded Amp12 or even the DX240 drives them beautifully. The PXVV sings with the DTR1+ but more headroom is always welcome. I was thinking in the Aroma Audio A100TB or the upcoming Xduoo XD-05Pro.

I been waiting for xd05 pro as well. It might on the larger size of portable, like Idsd Signature.

Topping Nx7 is also good, 1.4 w @ 32 ohm.
then, there is Kaei Tap1s, hybrid tube amp , 1.05 w @ 32 ohms.
Centrance Ampersand has 3w @ 45 ohm, though it is very expensive.

Sep 20, 2022 at 7:15 PM Post #65,099 of 75,572
I been waiting for xd05 pro as well. It might on the larger size of portable, like Idsd Signature.

Topping Nx7 is also good, 1.4 w @ 32 ohm.
then, there is Kaei Tap1s, hybrid tube amp , 1.05 w @ 32 ohms.
Centrance Ampersand has 3w @ 45 ohm, though it is very expensive.

Thanks for the advice. There's no official specs for the XD-05Pro yet, maybe in a few weeks. The A100TB is relatively compact (121x69x30mm) and have and the following specs:

320mW - 16 Ω
530mW - 32 Ω
860mW - 100 Ω
310mW - 300 Ω
160mW - 600 Ω

Sep 20, 2022 at 7:21 PM Post #65,100 of 75,572
Thanks for the advice. There's no official specs for the XD-05Pro yet, maybe in a few weeks. The A100TB is relatively compact (121x69x30mm) and have and the following specs:

320mW - 16 Ω
530mW - 32 Ω
860mW - 100 Ω
310mW - 300 Ω
160mW - 600 Ω

Considering it size, 310 mw @ 300 ohms is very powerful. Plus at swappable op amp thingy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back