Earbuds Round-Up
Aug 22, 2022 at 7:34 AM Post #63,602 of 75,154
Hi! So I'm listening to the FF3s now for a while now. Please mind my terms since I'm still a newbie haha! I think I'm still adjusting since I haven't used earbuds for years now.

First Impressions:

Coming from a Hifiman HE400SE and Tanchjim Ola, I find the FF3 darker? By the way I'm using it with my FX Audio DAC-X6. Tried using them without foams and the left one always keeps getting loose so I tried the bass, crisp and balanced in that order. Easily fixed the fitment issues. I'm really not very adept with music so I'll try to explain it from a gamer's standpoint. I mainly play FPS, Valorant and Apex alike. For me hearing sound cues are very critical, it's a matter of winning or losing the game. I've had much success with the Olas coz for the price they gave a wide enough sound stage and quite accurate imaging, giving me that extra information for anticipation. The HE400SE was too open that sometimes I don't hear enemies going past me. One of the reasons I sold it haha!

So far I'm liking the FF3s it is more accurate and detailed than my OLAs plus a bigger soundstage. I don't notice that much verticality though. The out of the box tuning for me is something I need to get used to so I'll try the different foams for a few days before I dabble with EQ to bring up the Highs to my liking. For isolation it's like between a head phone and an IEM so it's good for me.

That's for my Day 1 with the FF3s

Thank you!

Aug 22, 2022 at 8:06 AM Post #63,603 of 75,154
Hi! So I'm listening to the FF3s now for a while now. Please mind my terms since I'm still a newbie haha! I think I'm still adjusting since I haven't used earbuds for years now.

First Impressions:

Coming from a Hifiman HE400SE and Tanchjim Ola, I find the FF3 darker? By the way I'm using it with my FX Audio DAC-X6. Tried using them without foams and the left one always keeps getting loose so I tried the bass, crisp and balanced in that order. Easily fixed the fitment issues. I'm really not very adept with music so I'll try to explain it from a gamer's standpoint. I mainly play FPS, Valorant and Apex alike. For me hearing sound cues are very critical, it's a matter of winning or losing the game. I've had much success with the Olas coz for the price they gave a wide enough sound stage and quite accurate imaging, giving me that extra information for anticipation. The HE400SE was too open that sometimes I don't hear enemies going past me. One of the reasons I sold it haha!

So far I'm liking the FF3s it is more accurate and detailed than my OLAs plus a bigger soundstage. I don't notice that much verticality though. The out of the box tuning for me is something I need to get used to so I'll try the different foams for a few days before I dabble with EQ to bring up the Highs to my liking. For isolation it's like between a head phone and an IEM so it's good for me.

Thank you!

So, my recommendation has not been a train-wreck? (Wait, are you the one who asked me about FF3 for gaming on Reddit?)

My left side is also looser than the right side. It does not matter, actually. The left side never falls off even when I walk around, and I did not hear channel imbalance either, so I leave it alone.

If you want to add some height to the stage, you can try EQ a peak around 15kHz with Q1.0 or 1.5.

I think FF3 is warmer rather than darker than OLA. The Tanchjim IEM does not enough have low end of offset the ear-gain, which I assume a deliberate choice to make the soundstage feel larger.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2022 at 9:02 AM Post #63,604 of 75,154
So, my recommendation has not been a train-wreck? (Wait, are you the one who asked me about FF3 for gaming on Reddit?)
No man I appreciate the FF3s, it's just new to me hahaha! It's pretty accurate to my liking!

I think FF3 is warmer rather than darker than OLA. The Tanchjim IEM does not enough have low end of offset the ear-gain, which I assume a deliberate choice to make the soundstage feel larger.
Yeah I think I still mix things a lot with the terminologies but yeah warmer is the right word for it!

Aug 22, 2022 at 1:14 PM Post #63,606 of 75,154

First Impressions:

Thank you!

Interesting. I don't game hardly at all aside from the occasional game on my phone so I have never tried the FF3s for gaming and hadn't heard anyone discuss their performance during play. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on that.

Do you intend to use them exclusively for gaming or are you planning on giving music a shot through your FF3s as well?

Aug 22, 2022 at 3:05 PM Post #63,608 of 75,154
Well I jumped right into the deep end (hopefully end game achieved)
tgxear Serratus, RikuBuds Saber 1 and Lancer 1 ordered :smile:
Now to find a source that will do them justice...

Megatron pairs very well with Serratus in my experience!

Aug 22, 2022 at 3:38 PM Post #63,609 of 75,154
Megatron pairs very well with Serratus in my experience!
Just wondering, do you know the output power of the Megatron? Their website says 300 mW for the BAL, but reviewers often say 600?

Or has anyone measured the output?

Aug 22, 2022 at 4:02 PM Post #63,610 of 75,154
Just wondering, do you know the output power of the Megatron? Their website says 300 mW for the BAL, but reviewers often say 600?

Granted I have only looked at 2 or 3 reviews, but all of those say 300mW @32ohms and 40mW @300ohms.

Aug 22, 2022 at 4:05 PM Post #63,611 of 75,154
Yes that's what I've seen on the VE website, but this reviewer for example stated 630 mW, maybe he assumed 300 mW was SE?

Aug 22, 2022 at 4:54 PM Post #63,612 of 75,154

Not entirely sure but it strikes a good balance between power/portability for high impedance sets up to about 150/300ohms in my experience. The sound leans warm and fits well with the leaner Serratus signature.

I'm still on the look out for a more powerful portable source, however.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2022 at 4:56 PM Post #63,613 of 75,154
Yes that's what I've seen on the VE website, but this reviewer for example stated 630 mW, maybe he assumed 300 mW was SE?

Or maybe like a lot of DAPs where they give X + X or in this case 300mW + 300mW he was assuming that is what they did.

SE is shown as 170mW.

Either way I don't think that VE's math is right anyhow because they state balanced out as 4.9Vrms which would actually be 750mW @32ohms. And SE is stated as 2.4Vrms which is actually 180mW @32ohms. So if they at least have their Vrms correct then we know that it puts out more power (at least) for 32ohms.

So, balanced output for 300ohms would be 80mW. Hope that helps some?!

Aug 22, 2022 at 4:57 PM Post #63,614 of 75,154
Is there a BT solution anyone recommends? I'm looking into the Topping G5 right now but if anyone has any (cheaper) suggestions, that'd be great!

Currently I only have Qudelix 5K (can drive on balanced output but not sure if it will bring out the full potential) and UTWS5 (definitely cannot drive I think)

Aug 22, 2022 at 5:22 PM Post #63,615 of 75,154
Is there a BT solution anyone recommends? I'm looking into the Topping G5 right now but if anyone has any (cheaper) suggestions, that'd be great!

Currently I only have Qudelix 5K (can drive on balanced output but not sure if it will bring out the full potential) and UTWS5 (definitely cannot drive I think)
I don't know what the G5 costs but have you looked at the iFi Go Blue. It is $199 and looks to put out up to 5.6Vrms which is pretty insane (almost 1W @32ohms) for its absolute tiny size.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back