Earbuds Round-Up
Aug 22, 2022 at 7:46 PM Post #63,631 of 75,359
Aug 22, 2022 at 7:52 PM Post #63,632 of 75,359
So, now that I have been listening to my new buds for a bit, I wanted to update my fav list (which has evolved over time, and it may yet change again). Also, this is actually a bit trickier than it is simple because I could choose a different category and the whole order would change by quite a bit (best fit, best for instrumental, etc...). Having said that, these are my current top five for all-rounders:

1. Yinman 2.0 600 & FQL Blackhole Redux (shared spot)
  2. Fiio FF3
  3. Yincrow RW2000
  4. Yincrow RW3000
  5. Smabat M2s Pro (w/Super One 100ohm bio driver)

Aug 22, 2022 at 8:09 PM Post #63,633 of 75,359
So, now that I have been listening to my new buds for a bit, I wanted to update my fav list (which has evolved over time, and it may yet change again). Also, this is actually a bit trickier than it is simple because I could choose a different category and the whole order would change by quite a bit (best fit, best for instrumental, etc...). Having said that, these are my current top five for all-rounders:

1. Yinman 2.0 600 & FQL Blackhole Redux (shared spot)
  2. Fiio FF3
  3. Yincrow RW2000
  4. Yincrow RW3000
  5. Smabat M2s Pro (w/Super One 100ohm bio driver)

That's a pretty darn good list! It's lretty amazing how many great earbud options there are out there these days. What a great time to be an earbud aficionado!

I ordered the Super Ones to try so naturally your post has me wondering what it is you like so much about yhe Super One 100ohm bio with your M2s Pro shells. Mind giving me a little breakdown?

Aug 22, 2022 at 8:10 PM Post #63,634 of 75,359
Oh, your right I saw this and just did the math:

This is a bit misleading IMO.

4.4mm balanced with 245mW @32ohms would be only 2.8Vrms, so it has to be a self adjusting power (saver) or something like that. It doesn't really make sense. Maybe @iFi audio could answer this?!
Ok, so if you were wanting to use 300ohm headphones, apparently this lil' amp scales (probably as mentioned earlier, a power saver) up pretty well.

So 5.6Vrms @300ohms (assuming they are not very efficient, say 95dB/mW) and <1ohm output impedance:

What you have available from the amp:
  • 5.6Vrms
  • 104.5mW
What you need for the (pretend) headphones:

• 32mW
  • 3.10Vrms
  • 10.3mA
So theoretically you are still getting that (almost) 1W in that it scales up in voltage/power as the impedance goes up. If the numbers from the factory are true this is still an amazing little fella' IMO.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2022 at 8:20 PM Post #63,635 of 75,359
Hey, no intention to gatekeeping or nitpicking about terminology of course. My terminologies come from DMS video here
Much appreciated bro! I do find it helpful if people correct me haha and thank you for the reference. :gs1000smile:
Do you intend to use them exclusively for gaming or are you planning on giving music a shot through your FF3s as well?
Actually listened to them until I fell asleep last night hahaha! I don't know what it is but I can't stop listening to them. Like the more I use them, the more I appreciate them. Might try the Viridis next for a brighter reference of earbuds. :thinking:

Aug 22, 2022 at 8:40 PM Post #63,636 of 75,359
That's a pretty darn good list! It's lretty amazing how many great earbud options there are out there these days. What a great time to be an earbud aficionado!

I ordered the Super Ones to try so naturally your post has me wondering what it is you like so much about yhe Super One 100ohm bio with your M2s Pro shells. Mind giving me a little breakdown?
It IS a great time indeed!

Oh, I must have missed that one on your list of (Christmas) goodies... :) Sure, I will put them in while I type this (I don't trust my memory to be accurate). Keep in mind though that the shell design is totally different, so you may not get the same sound at all, and I have't heard the Super Ones, so I can't compare (though I DO have the ST10S B&G).

Ah, yes. I actually would have ranked these higher were it not for the boosted presence region (by quite a bit). Having said that, since you aren't necessarily vulnerable to that "shouty" sound, these will actually be right up your alley.

The bass is just so yummy on these. In quantity it is very neutral (if the song has big bass, you will hear it, otherwise you will hear less). But these have some decently textured bass but not a terribly boosted mid-bass or upper bass hump (so more of a sub-bass focus). They aren't warm, but also aren't dark, cold, or dry IMO. From the upper mids and up, they give so much air (but not thin or tinny IMO) that these things are definitely crystal clear on everything you hear. This could be a bad thing in that they can get fatiguing with some high-pitched guitar songs, pretty quick with any sort of volume (think Munsen's Curve here) to my ears. And they aren't very forgiving with low quality or low-res files. Treble is actually not boosted TOO much because I hear cymbals at about the same level as the rest of the drums (which seems more accurate to me). But it is very present and gives all the other instruments a great 2nd harmonic that makes them sound clear and accurate. Overall, I would call the tuning on these as a "W" signature.

As for the technicalities, they are like most Smabat buds in that they are top notch on all fronts. These really are great drivers. There are a lot of people on here that love using their drivers as DIY because of their quality OOTB. Of the 5 drivers I have tried in this shell, I think I have come to like this pairing the best (though you have no idea how close it was for a couple of these). As @Ronion said to me once, "Whichever driver is in the shell at the time, I like it best"... lol But that doesn't mean they all sound exactly the same so, high praise to Smabat IMO.

Anyhow, I am rambling on, but I hope that helps some?! If you have any questions, I can try and answer.... :)

Aug 22, 2022 at 8:59 PM Post #63,637 of 75,359
9543FCE6-9296-4856-8B80-82E667BB51C6.jpeg
3CBD86BE-F7C1-4A36-9840-E466ED6F27B9.jpeg

100ohm Smabats are quite nice. It was one of my favorites from their collection of drivers. Good timbre and nicely resolving. Too bad soundstage is a bit smaller than I hoped.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2022 at 9:07 PM Post #63,638 of 75,359
It IS a great time indeed!

Oh, I must have missed that one on your list of (Christmas) goodies... :) Sure, I will put them in while I type this (I don't trust my memory to be accurate). Keep in mind though that the shell design is totally different, so you may not get the same sound at all, and I have't heard the Super Ones, so I can't compare (though I DO have the ST10S B&G).

Ah, yes. I actually would have ranked these higher were it not for the boosted presence region (by quite a bit). Having said that, since you aren't necessarily vulnerable to that "shouty" sound, these will actually be right up your alley.

The bass is just so yummy on these. In quantity it is very neutral (if the song has big bass, you will hear it, otherwise you will hear less). But these have some decently textured bass but not a terribly boosted mid-bass or upper bass hump (so more of a sub-bass focus). They aren't warm, but also aren't dark, cold, or dry IMO. From the upper mids and up, they give so much air (but not thin or tinny IMO) that these things are definitely crystal clear on everything you hear. This could be a bad thing in that they can get fatiguing with some high-pitched guitar songs, pretty quick with any sort of volume (think Munsen's Curve here) to my ears. And they aren't very forgiving with low quality or low-res files. Treble is actually not boosted TOO much because I hear cymbals at about the same level as the rest of the drums (which seems more accurate to me). But it is very present and gives all the other instruments a great 2nd harmonic that makes them sound clear and accurate. Overall, I would call the tuning on these as a "W" signature.

As for the technicalities, they are like most Smabat buds in that they are top notch on all fronts. These really are great drivers. There are a lot of people on here that love using their drivers as DIY because of their quality OOTB. Of the 5 drivers I have tried in this shell, I think I have come to like this pairing the best (though you have no idea how close it was for a couple of these). As @Ronion said to me once, "Whichever driver is in the shell at the time, I like it best"... lol But that doesn't mean they all sound exactly the same so, high praise to Smabat IMO.

Anyhow, I am rambling on, but I hope that helps some?! If you have any questions, I can try and answer.... :)

Thank you so much! My intent with the M4 and the Super Ones that I ordered is to pick the one that I like best and then start driver rolling as well. The only way I won't end up keeping one of them is if I decide that I prefer the M2s or M3 that I tried before. The idea of a modular driver earbud that actually performs well and isn't just a gimmick sounds like too much to pass up!

Edit: The M4 and Super One weren't on my original list, BTW. I ordered them separately on Wednesday of last week I think.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2022 at 9:13 PM Post #63,639 of 75,359
Much appreciated bro! I do find it helpful if people correct me haha and thank you for the reference. :gs1000smile:

Actually listened to them until I fell asleep last night hahaha! I don't know what it is but I can't stop listening to them. Like the more I use them, the more I appreciate them. Might try the Viridis next for a brighter reference of earbuds. :thinking:

The FF3's presentation is so addicting! I totally get where you're coming from. The Viridis are an entirely different beast. They are one of my favorite neutral-bright buds to be sure. They impart a special beauty to certain tracks and genres that is quite unique in my experience thus far.

Aug 22, 2022 at 9:15 PM Post #63,640 of 75,359
Thank you so much! My intent with the M4 and the Super Ones that I ordered is to pick the one that I like best and then start driver rolling as well. The only way I won't end up keeping one of them is if I decide that I prefer the M2s or M3 that I tried before. The idea of a modular driver earbud that actually performs well and isn't just a gimmick sounds like too much to pass up!

Edit: The M4 and Super One weren't on my original list, BTW. I ordered them separately on Wednesday of last week I think.
For me they aren't a gimmick, but then I only paid $40(something) for them, and in the beginning I had no intention in buying any of the (other) drivers for it, but @Ronion helped me decide to get them (JUST before they were discontinued), and I am certainly glad I did, because the stock 40ohm driver is my least favorite of the 5 (but still really good) in that shell.

Aug 22, 2022 at 10:00 PM Post #63,641 of 75,359
For me they aren't a gimmick, but then I only paid $40(something) for them, and in the beginning I had no intention in buying any of the (other) drivers for it, but @Ronion helped me decide to get them (JUST before they were discontinued), and I am certainly glad I did, because the stock 40ohm driver is my least favorite of the 5 (but still really good) in that shell.
I just wish I could get another set of the Little Bio…. It’s a shame they were so cheap. I don’t think anyone took them seriously. The 150ti are another standout in that collection.

Aug 22, 2022 at 10:36 PM Post #63,642 of 75,359
I just wish I could get another set of the Little Bio…. It’s a shame they were so cheap. I don’t think anyone took them seriously. The 150ti are another standout in that collection.

That's some good info to know. I have a friend of a friend offering to sell me a complete set of all the Smabat drivers. Does anyone know where I can find a list of all the drivers they offered so I can see if it's actually a complete set when I head up to San Francisco in 1.5 weeks?

And not to do another random topic change, but at least this is one is about earbuds as opposed to IEMs:

I just wanted to say for the record that the Toneking TP16s are quite underrated/overlooked in the budget earbud market. They have a very euphonic musicality that belies their modest price tag. Add to that the solid build and the fact that they aren't at all picky about sources and you're left with a very capable and appealing earbud for very little cash.

I was taking a break from drumming while our vocalist is doing his thing and the TP16s happened to be the "stash pair" i had packaged with the DAP in my stick bag so I threw them on to have a little timeout. Everytime I put the TP16s on I thoroughly enjoy the listening. They aren't TOTL, but they are pretty high up on my budget earbud list.

They sound a treat with the Vampire Weekend playlist I had going. What a great way to spend $13.

Aug 22, 2022 at 10:40 PM Post #63,643 of 75,359
Ok, so if you were wanting to use 300ohm headphones, apparently this lil' amp scales (probably as mentioned earlier, a power saver) up pretty well.

So 5.6Vrms @300ohms (assuming they are not very efficient, say 95dB/mW) and <1ohm output impedance:

What you have available from the amp:
  • 5.6Vrms
  • 104.5mW
What you need for the (pretend) headphones:

• 32mW
  • 3.10Vrms
  • 10.3mA
So theoretically you are still getting that (almost) 1W in that it scales up in voltage/power as the impedance goes up. If the numbers from the factory are true this is still an amazing little fella' IMO.
Oooh, this is interesting. How would the Qudelix 5k fare in comparison?

Aug 22, 2022 at 10:41 PM Post #63,644 of 75,359
That's some good info to know. I have a friend of a friend offering to sell me a complete set of all the Smabat drivers. Does anyone know where I can find a list of all the drivers they offered so I can see if it's actually a complete set when I head up to San Francisco in 1.5 weeks?
1661222468374.png

Aug 22, 2022 at 10:48 PM Post #63,645 of 75,359

Perfect! These were the only five I could find, but then I found some posts mentioning driver descriptions that don't match these. My guess is that the posters were either misremembering the names or they were referring to drivers harvested from other Smabat buds not sold as part of the M series set. Either way, it's nice to be sure.

Thank you kindly, my friend!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back