Earbuds Round-Up
Aug 22, 2022 at 5:52 PM Post #63,616 of 75,373
Has anyone tried out these silicone hybrid-type tips on their buds? Seems like a good compromise between getting an IEM seal and consistent fit without having to go fully into the ear canal.

Aug 22, 2022 at 6:01 PM Post #63,617 of 75,373
Has anyone tried out these silicone hybrid-type tips on their buds? Seems like a good compromise between getting an IEM seal and consistent fit without having to go fully into the ear canal.
I am not sure those would fit on flathead buds. Those were meant for the "freebies" that used to come with Samsung phones (they still might, I am not sure).

Having said that, I might break out a pair and see if they DO fit.. :wink:

Aug 22, 2022 at 6:26 PM Post #63,618 of 75,373
Well I jumped right into the deep end (hopefully end game achieved)
tgxear Serratus, RikuBuds Saber 1 and Lancer 1 ordered :smile:
Now to find a source that will do them justice...
There's never an earbud end game... there will always be something coming around the corner that you'll just have to get. HAHA!

Aug 22, 2022 at 6:40 PM Post #63,619 of 75,373
I don't know what the G5 costs but have you looked at the iFi Go Blue. It is $199 and looks to put out up to 5.6Vrms which is pretty insane (almost 1W @32ohms) for its absolute tiny size.
Interesting... so this would have no problem powering serratus (and tantalus)?

Maybe i need to replace my qudelix 5k with it then since I don't care for PEQ...

But does it have 4.4mm jack?
JK I see it does... ok that might seal the deal

Aug 22, 2022 at 6:43 PM Post #63,620 of 75,373
No man I appreciate the FF3s, it's just new to me hahaha! It's pretty accurate to my liking!

Yeah I think I still mix things a lot with the terminologies but yeah warmer is the right word for it!

Hey, no intention to gatekeeping or nitpicking about terminology of course. My terminologies come from DMS video here

Interesting. I don't game hardly at all aside from the occasional game on my phone so I have never tried the FF3s for gaming and hadn't heard anyone discuss their performance during play. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on that.

FF3 is quite fun for game. I wasted entire Sunday playing a boring game on Nintendo Switch because it sounds so good with FF3. The atmosphere that the buds create is very immersive.

Aug 22, 2022 at 6:43 PM Post #63,621 of 75,373
Ok, so I got these to fit (only just), and they aren't too bad, but because of how much you have to stretch them, it takes away from the length of the piece that should be going closer to your ear canal. It doesn't sound TOO bad, but the treble is definitely muted a bit, but bass is not raised at all IMO (though the upper bass is quite a bit). Overall it throws off the tonality of the buds (in this case the RW3000).

20220822_183239.jpg

Edit:Yes I know there is a ton of dust that got under my screen protector (don't make fun of me). I just haven't taken the time to put another one on it.... (for 3 years now it seems) :)

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2022 at 6:45 PM Post #63,622 of 75,373
Well I jumped right into the deep end (hopefully end game achieved)
tgxear Serratus, RikuBuds Saber 1 and Lancer 1 ordered :smile:
Now to find a source that will do them justice...

I thought I had my end game 6 months ago. I have 6 earbuds, 6 iems and 3 dac amp to cater all my music preference. Now I have sold all my earbuds, 3 iems, and waiting for my Grand Archer 1 to complete and Yinman 600 ohm to arrive. So careful about that "end game" phrase, it may ends your wallet, but it can never ends your game :stuck_out_tongue:

image_2022-08-23_064548378.png

Has anyone look at this? It has everything I want in a portable, 2 W output, full MQA and changeable dac. Not sure the op amp is changeable as well.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2022 at 6:49 PM Post #63,623 of 75,373
I thought I had my end game 6 months ago. I have 6 earbuds, 6 iems and 3 dac amp to cater all my music preference. Now I have sold all my earbuds, 3 iems, and waiting for my Grand Archer 1 to complete and Yinman 600 ohm to arrive. So careful about that "end game" phrase, it may ends your wallet, but it can never ends your game :stuck_out_tongue:

image_2022-08-23_064548378.png

Has anyone look at this? It has everything I want in a portable, 2 W output, full MQA and changeable dac. Not sure the op amp is changeable as well.
Luckily, I'm already done with headphones and my IEM endgame has likely been found - went all the way up to U12T and came back down to earth (kinda) with EJ07M that I'm very happy with.

Earbuds are the next horizon and hopefully I don't get too far in the hole because of it haha.

Aug 22, 2022 at 6:52 PM Post #63,624 of 75,373
I don't know what the G5 costs but have you looked at the iFi Go Blue. It is $199 and looks to put out up to 5.6Vrms which is pretty insane (almost 1W @32ohms) for its absolute tiny size.
Wait I'm seeing go blue with the following stats for Go Blue.
4.4mm Balanced 245mW @ 32Ω; 5.6V @ 600Ω
3.5mm Unbalanced 165mW @ 32Ω; 2.8V @ 600Ω
Could you help me with the calculations since I'm a bit out of my depth here?

For Qudelix I'm seeing the following:
3.5mm Unbalanced output max. 2.0V RMS
2.5mm Balanced output max. 4.0V RMS

Aug 22, 2022 at 6:57 PM Post #63,625 of 75,373

This looks interesting. Who is building this DAC/AMP?

Aug 22, 2022 at 7:06 PM Post #63,626 of 75,373
First impressions on the Yinman 600 2.0:

It took me alot longer to put together my "first" impressions because the Yinmans required some more thorough testing and experimentation than the other buds I have been posting about previously due to their power requirements and certain opinions I have heard expressed regarding their scalability with more power/headroom that I felt obligated to explore before writing this up.

When discussing sound I want to start off by saying that the Yinman 600s are a pleasant listen that I would think almost anyone would enjoy. They have a full, rich low end with a thick presentation that, while not as energetic or tight as some other earbuds I like, provides a satisfying foundation upon which music can build. As with many earbuds, the mids are IMO the star of the show with the Yinmans. The mids are pleasantly linear without any undue emphasis on low or high mids with plenty of warmth. The highs extend well and are musical, hanging on to quite a bit of the warmth from the midrange. The overall presentation of the buds is laid back and musical with a decently sized soundstage and a lushness that makes the listening experience easy to sink into.

For some tracks/artists, I find the Yinmans to lack a bit of energy for my tastes. This is common with earbuds (or any transducer medium really) that share this lush and overtly warm signature/presentation. Many people seek out this signature and I myself find it to be quite satisfying when I would like to relax and relieve some tension at the end of the day. However, I will say that in the case of the 600s the warmth goes a bit beyond my personal preference even making the treble in particular seem a bit veiled or at least unnaturally warm at times. This isn't apparent or problematic all the time, rather more just on tracks that have cymbals, vocals, pianos, high strings, etc that require that last bit of clarity and sparkle in the treble that the 600's warmth seems unwilling to allow.

As for detail the 600s provide a quite detailed presentation, though the warmth and sometimes the note weight/decay make you actively listen to find it. Overall though the Yinman 600s aren't an earbud that I would choose for critical listening sessions and in the relaxing, tension relieving mood I enjoyed them most in the detail being less in my face and the treble being a bit warm can certainly be an asset. What I'm getting at is that these properties don't come across as flaws. They are obviously, IMO, deliberate choices meant to contribute the the desired overall presentation and they do so admirably. Whether that presentation aligns with any given listener's tastes or preferences is up that person. I found that for me, the 600s seem to be what I call a "mood bud." Meaning that I would need to be in a particular mood, wanting to be relaxed and calmed, to truly enjoy what the Yinman 600s have to offer. For that mood though, they are very good.

Now to address the amplification situation: Before ever trying these buds I read from many sources about how these earbuds need proper amplification and that they scale very well with increasingly powerful sources. I may get lynched for this, but I, thus far, have found that to be only partially true. Allow me to explain before anyone gets to excited.

The first thing I plugged the Yinmans into was the ifi Gryphon I have been using for all my prior earbud review posts. The Gryphon has quite a bit of power behind it and the Yinmans sounded quite good driven by it. I didn't need nearly all the power on tap to reach extreme volume levels which was no surprise, but I felt compelled to try other sources of amplification to test the scalability claims as I knew inquiring minds would be looking answers on this front.

Luckily for those who are curious, I have a Burson Timekeeper 3i which is one of the more capable headphone amps out there. Even luckier, I am also demoing some other pretty powerful devices because I wanted to make sure that I am getting the absolute best out of my DCA Stealths, which I just recently acquired. Thus, I have a GS-Xmini and Ferrum Oor also on hand to plug the Yinmans into.

To properly test the yinman 600's scalability, I first plugged them into a much weaker source (Fiio e10k) than the Gryphon so I would have an idea of how well their performance scaled to the Gryphon in the first place. As expected the e10k struggled to drive the Yinmans and they sounded very flat, dull, and flabby, the drivers struggling with any articulation let alone energy and detail. Next came the TK3i. I needed nowhere near the full power on tap for volume, which was expected, what was more surprising was that I didn't find a big improvment in control over the low end, detail, clarity, or treble extension. I heard slight differences, but even with those I found myself unsure of which were due to differences in the DAC chipset versus the power supplied.

In order to better sort that out, I tried using the GS-Xmini and the Ferrum Oor as the power sources and alternated between DACs to experiment. In the end, I would say that from what I heard the Gryphon was giving me 95% of what the Yinmans have to give. My testing took so long and was so extensive because I had heard from many others about how the performance seemingly grows and grows with more and more power so I wanted to be pretty sure that I wasn't selling the 600s short.

Maybe I misunderstood and that last 5% was the scalability they were referrencing, but from the way I heard the power to performance increases mentioned, I was left with the impression that a pretty high powered deaktop amp was more or less necessary to get more than mediocre performance out of the Yinmans. In my experience, on most tracks there was no difference to be found between what I heard driving the Yinmans with the Gryphon versus any of the more powerful sources. Only on tracks with the most dynamic range and of the best recording and production quality did I catch a noticeable improvement and even then it was quite small hence my 95% estimate.

Before I set this opinion in stone, I will wait to listen to the Yinman 600s when I am absolutely fresh and even then will likely listen to them several more times before I feel comfortable saying that this is my firmly held opinion regarding the scalability of the Yinman 600s with power. Though, I had taken multiple breaks and didn't feel fatigued so I am secure enough in my observations to say that the 600s definitely need aome grunt behind them to sound good, but perhaps not as much as I think many would believe if their impressions of some common comments made about the Yinmans are the same as mine.

To wrap up, the Yinman 600 2.0s are really a very nice pair of earbuds. If you're looking for a nice relaxing listen to wind down with at the of the day and you have a powerful source to drive these bad boys, the Yinman 600s just might be your dream bud. It's easy to see why many people find these to be a great inclusion in their collections. Given their enjoyable sound and their relatively modest price tag the Yinmans are quite a value if you've got the power to drive them.

Next up will be the VE Sun Dice or Asura 3.0 (I like to keep you guys guessing), but I'm not sure when I will be doing the listening because I will be spending a lot of time in the studio and doing the attendant prepwork and homework that entails. If you're interested you'll just have to keep your eye out.

P.S. Sorry for the epic post length (Homer would be proud lol...Greek Homer not Homer Simpson)! I tried to keep it shortish, but it seemed pointless to post without at least attempting to answer the questions I know people will have because I'm not entirely sure how available I will be for answering them later so forgive me. I think it was ultimately for the best.

Aug 22, 2022 at 7:06 PM Post #63,627 of 75,373

I tried out the Go Blue at a local store and was puzzled to find that it was not connecting in LDAC mode. Eventually I found that it was a problem with compatibility between my phone (Sony 1 iii) and the Go Blue, with both sides blaming the other for it. Was disappointing, since I really like the style and form factor of the Go Blue, but I went with a Shanling UP5 instead (the Qudelix was not available to try).

Anyways, just a warning since phone compatibility is apparently a thing.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2022 at 7:21 PM Post #63,628 of 75,373

Oh, your right I saw this and just did the math:

The amp stage delivers up to 5.6V (twice the voltage of others) – considerably more power than other similarly sized devices – handling even relatively tough headphone loads with ease. To ensure signal strength suits the sensitivity of the connected headphones or earphones, auto-gain adjusts output up or down by 6dB.

This is a bit misleading IMO.

4.4mm balanced with 245mW @32ohms would be only 2.8Vrms, so it has to be a self adjusting power (saver) or something like that. It doesn't really make sense. Maybe @iFi audio could answer this?!

Aug 22, 2022 at 7:32 PM Post #63,629 of 75,373
Luckily, I'm already done with headphones and my IEM endgame has likely been found - went all the way up to U12T and came back down to earth (kinda) with EJ07M that I'm very happy with.

Earbuds are the next horizon and hopefully I don't get too far in the hole because of it haha.

I just got the EJ07M a while back and it is one of the most overlooked IEMs in that $350 to $1k no man's land that many people struggle to find an IEM that justifies the price paid over the best planars, ER4XR, B2 (Dusk and Non), Tansio Mirai Sands, etc. I tried all the regular suggestions and found them all to be lacking, but the EJ07M fills that role nicely.

Enough off topic BS though? @syazwaned is right though, there's no such thing as an endgame in a hobby that keeps progressing. Sure there are timeless classics, but the march of progress is inexorable and it will force you to drop out or upgrade eventually lol! I commend your desire to cut to the chase though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back