Earbuds Round-Up
Aug 21, 2022 at 5:06 PM Post #63,571 of 75,356
A blast from the past. This song sounds really good on the FF3. You can (distinctly) hear the separation from the bass guitar, electric synth, and bass drum. Though, I haven't listened to the YT version as it is lower quality.

Amazon:
https://music.amazon.com/albums/B00F6X6VYA?trackAsin=B00F6X6WR6&ref=dm_sh_3793-5e5e-7d79-ab93-d4c63

YouTube:

I will have to give this a listen a little later on when I have the FF3s on. If you'd like to try something I was really enjoying on them last night check out Rogrigo y Gabriela. They have a new album out called Mettavolution that Qobuz has in hi-res and even though it has no drums the FF3s make the dueling guitars sound so meaty and big that I found myself really diggin' the whole vibe. It was a pleasant reminder of just how sweet that mid-range presence is. It also reminded me of the fact that the FF3 is no one trick pony!

Aug 21, 2022 at 6:07 PM Post #63,572 of 75,356
I will have to give this a listen a little later on when I have the FF3s on. If you'd like to try something I was really enjoying on them last night check out Rogrigo y Gabriela. They have a new album out called Mettavolution that Qobuz has in hi-res and even though it has no drums the FF3s make the dueling guitars sound so meaty and big that I found myself really diggin' the whole vibe. It was a pleasant reminder of just how sweet that mid-range presence is. It also reminded me of the fact that the FF3 is no one trick pony!
So, I am not sure of which song you were referring to on this album, but they are all pretty similar except having a different tune (which is not a bad thing in this case). I like the sound of having a(n) (12 string??) acoustic guitar along with either an unamped or "clean" electric guitar playing to each other. For the FF3 this also reveals the 2nd harmonic in the treble area (especially the electric guitar) and sounds really good.

This music actually reminds me a lot of that fella's music style from a couple years ago (a very unique sound to it).

Aug 21, 2022 at 6:36 PM Post #63,573 of 75,356
I would also be interested in seeing those measurements, but could you throw in the "crisp" measurements also if it's not too much trouble?

I think maybe (at least where the FF3 is concerned) we should not call them foams. Maybe we should just call them "filters" because of how much they change the sound... lol My IT-07 come with "tuning filters" that screw into the nozzle, and I can say that while they DO change the sound, they don't as much as simple foams do with the FF3... I am still in awe of this BTW (if you couldn't tell).
Yep, I'll get the crisp donut foams in the next measurements.

Aug 21, 2022 at 7:40 PM Post #63,575 of 75,356
So, I am not sure of which song you were referring to on this album, but they are all pretty similar except having a different tune (which is not a bad thing in this case). I like the sound of having a(n) (12 string??) acoustic guitar along with either an unamped or "clean" electric guitar playing to each other. For the FF3 this also reveals the 2nd harmonic in the treble area (especially the electric guitar) and sounds really good.

This music actually reminds me a lot of that fella's music style from a couple years ago (a very unique sound to it).

I was just talking about the whole album in general. I have like Rodrigo y Gabriela's stuff for a while now. If you liked it, take a look at their other albums. Each one has its own flavor and they have gone through a pretty wide range of sounds throughout their discography.

I have never seen/heard or heard of the dude in the video before. Very interesting!

Aug 21, 2022 at 8:11 PM Post #63,576 of 75,356
I was just talking about the whole album in general. I have like Rodrigo y Gabriela's stuff for a while now. If you liked it, take a look at their other albums. Each one has its own flavor and they have gone through a pretty wide range of sounds throughout their discography.

I have never seen/heard or heard of the dude in the video before. Very interesting!
I have already begun listening to some of their other stuff. Thanks for the rec.

Yeah, he was runner-up on American Idol a couple (or few, don't remember) years ago. But that wasn't really the important part I suppose, it is the style of music he does that is similar in style (very talented guitar player). Almost like the "Eddie Van Halen" of the acoustic guitar (is more than good, experiments with the sounds, etc...). Anyhow, he put out like 21 songs in 2021 (pretty much all as singles LOL) like this one (though it looks like producers have made him focus more on his voice, and the band, rather than his playing which is what I was alluding to):

Amazon:
https://music.amazon.com/albums/B09C1BKSGZ?trackAsin=B09C1D3CFX&ref=dm_sh_fd72-b505-d4bc-2cb1-6182f

YouTube:

Aug 21, 2022 at 8:57 PM Post #63,577 of 75,356
The FF3s and the BKs are quite a bit different. I own and like both so I will do my best to answer succinctly.

First off, the sound signature of the FF3s is not really what's unique about them. It's the absolutely huge and authoritatively powerful presentation that sets them apart from other buds. I have never heard a bud that can match it.

As for sound sig differences, the bass on the BKs is slower with longer decay and not nearly as much punch. The upper mids of the BKs get a bit overbearing on some tracks for me, while the FF3's mids are detailed and fairly even. Both have a slight roll off in the highs, but because of their other sonic attributes the roll off has different effects in each bud. In the FF3s that roll off allows the mids and lows to remain the focus and keep their massive presentation. In the BKs the roll off is to give the buds an overall laid back and low key presentation.

I can't imagine anyone thinking that the FF3s and BKs are very similar, let alone similar enough to have a problem with owning both. Just my two cents.
Cheers! I really appreciate your taking the time to write all that up. 👍🏼

Aug 21, 2022 at 9:46 PM Post #63,578 of 75,356
Aug 21, 2022 at 11:27 PM Post #63,579 of 75,356
BTW, one foolproof track to use to test if your buds are boosted in the pina gain region too much (or your ears are sensitive to that area) is to listen to the OG version of Ozzy Osbourne - Crazy Train. Especially in the chorus, it is super shouty and right in that region. You can't really use the "remastered" version because apparently, they heard it too and softened it up quite a bit. I just listened to both versions, and it is pretty noticeable.

Or you could do it the non-fun way (I suppose) and use an Online Tone Generator. :)

Edit: Though anything from Greta Van Fleet, or Alice In Chains, etc... will work as well.

Aug 21, 2022 at 11:44 PM Post #63,581 of 75,356
Finally my FF3s are gonna be delivered today! Really excited to go home from work haha!
Congrats on your new shiny (and these really are shiny).... :beerchug:

Hope you enjoy them as much as others here have been?! Let us know what you think when you have gotten some time on them?

Aug 21, 2022 at 11:45 PM Post #63,582 of 75,356
BTW, one foolproof track to use to test if your buds are boosted in the pina gain region too much (or your ears are sensitive to that area) is to listen to the OG version of Ozzy Osbourne - Crazy Train. Especially in the chorus, it is super shouty and right in that region. You can't really use the "remastered" version because apparently, they heard it too and softened it up quite a bit. I just listened to both versions, and it is pretty noticeable.

Or you could do it the non-fun way (I suppose) and use an Online Tone Generator. :)

Edit: Though anything from Greta Van Fleet, or Alice In Chains, etc... will work as well.

Off topic, but my band and I played a 3 day festival that Greta Van Fleet played as well and those dudes are on one serious hippy trip lol! They're cool enough guys and all, but they're almost commically hippie-esque. Hanging out with them is a bit like watching a sitcom where the plot revolves around some crazy friends who think it's still the late 60s/early 70s.

They pretty talented though. Especially their lead singer. Dude has some pipes and he can actually sing which is unfortunately a rare enough talent in any genre in these days of the "auto-tune it away" philosophy.

For topical content, I am finally getting a little break to sit down and try some new buds. I just plugged in the Yinman 600s about 20 minutes ago and these are without a doubt the most power hungry and difficult to drive earbuds ever. I have or have had two other 600 ohm pairs that were significantly easier to drive because these have the added difficulty of being inefficient/insensitive. I haven't crunched any numbers, but my guess is that they are even more inefficient than the numbers quotes by the maker.

Obviously, I need to listen longer before I write up my first impressions...

Aug 21, 2022 at 11:46 PM Post #63,583 of 75,356
Finally my FF3s are gonna be delivered today! Really excited to go home from work haha!

You should be excited! Congratulations on the new FF3s! Make sure you let us know what you think of them.

Aug 21, 2022 at 11:54 PM Post #63,584 of 75,356
Off topic, but my band and I played a 3 day festival that Greta Van Fleet played as well and those dudes are on one serious hippy trip lol! They're cool enough guys and all, but they're almost commically hippie-esque. Hanging out with them is a bit like watching a sitcom where the plot revolves around some crazy friends who think it's still the late 60s/early 70s.

They pretty talented though. Especially their lead singer. Dude has some pipes and he can actually sing which is unfortunately a rare enough talent in any genre in these days of the "auto-tune it away" philosophy.

For topical content, I am finally getting a little break to sit down and try some new buds. I just plugged in the Yinman 600s about 20 minutes ago and these are without a doubt the most power hungry and difficult to drive earbuds ever. I have or have had two other 600 ohm pairs that were significantly easier to drive because these have the added difficulty of being inefficient/insensitive. I haven't crunched any numbers, but my guess is that they are even more inefficient than the numbers quotes by the maker.

Obviously, I need to listen longer before I write up my first impressions...
can ifi gryphon drive yinman 600?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back