Earbuds Round-Up
Apr 11, 2022 at 1:41 AM Post #60,901 of 75,272
Apr 11, 2022 at 2:16 AM Post #60,902 of 75,272
I don't understand what you mean by paying only the low price for it.
If you're not happy with the cable, you'll be happy if you replace it with another cable you like with solder or attach an MMCX connector.:L3000:
:joy: not really expecting anything fancy at this price for sure. haha. if anything this cable is within expectations, but would be nice if the cable was better for sure. The Iris Ancestor is cheaper and has a thicker, longer, and nicer feeling cable.

How's the sound though?
i think ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ sums up my thoughts on it. first impression is that it's nice for the price, but then so many cheap earbuds are. a lot of them are so similar in terms of technicalities too so it's mostly down to personal preference for tuning. did a quick A/B with the blue vido, traceless, iris ancestor, k's earphone k64s and it's probably very very very slightly above average (don't really have to motivation to spend that much effort on something this cheap TBH :joy: ). Tonality is probably somewhere in between the traceless and k64s. not as thin/lean sounding as the traceless, with more body in the mids, but not as warm as the k64s/vido/ancestor. It's closer to my preference than those... I think. That said, nothing special (as expected due to the price), but nothing really wrong with them either. Still won't be using them much since I have other earbuds I like more. :joy:

by the way... photo of the driver

IMAGE 2022-04-11 14:21:11.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2022 at 3:07 AM Post #60,903 of 75,272
:joy: not really expecting anything fancy at this price for sure. haha. if anything this cable is within expectations, but would be nice if the cable was better for sure. The Iris Ancestor is cheaper and has a thicker, longer, and nicer feeling cable.

i think ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ sums up my thoughts on it. first impression is that it's nice for the price, but then so many cheap earbuds are. a lot of them are so similar in terms of technicalities too so it's mostly down to personal preference for tuning. did a quick A/B with the blue vido, traceless, iris ancestor, k's earphone k64s and it's probably very very very slightly above average (don't really have to motivation to spend that much effort on something this cheap TBH :joy: ). Tonality is probably somewhere in between the traceless and k64s. not as thin/lean sounding as the traceless, with more body in the mids, but not as warm as the k64s/vido/ancestor. It's closer to my preference than those... I think. That said, nothing special (as expected due to the price), but nothing really wrong with them either. Still won't be using them much since I have other earbuds I like more. :joy:

by the way... photo of the driver

IMAGE 2022-04-11 14:21:11.jpg

Thanks for taking one for the team!

Ya I guess after a while all these budget sub $10 earbuds are kinda sidegradish. And perhaps buying more of these may add up to a midFI or TOTL earbud one day even!

Apr 11, 2022 at 5:54 AM Post #60,904 of 75,272
Hi! About the Dqsm PD21, I've read that it's recommended to get the version with a 4-strands cable that sounds better. is it different from the 2-strands version just because of the cable or are there internal changes in the earbud?

Apr 11, 2022 at 7:40 AM Post #60,905 of 75,272
I completely forgot that you had the ****** PT2021 @ 365Ω... great you have that to make a comparison.

Yes, I do think that the NiceHCK EBX21 has the better midrange than all the models that I had mentioned in my last post (outside of the Rose Technics Maria II so the ****** PT2021 and Toneking Dendroaspis Viridis) and ultimately are probably your best candidate for being the most similar to the Q701 in tuning and signature. In this post I have gone into greater detail about the EBX21's tuning but one of the main reasons why I included them on my old God-Tier Earbuds List was because of their excellent timbre, very well presented midrange, and their strong analytical nature which is perfect for critical reference-like listening needs... that is if you can handle their bright cold critical nature which may be quite fatiguing to/for some. Just like the PT2021 the EBX21 has less emphasized bass but not grossly so as their timbre is top notch as I said before. Although the Dendroaspis Viridis has excellent soundstage (detailed and expansive in both width and depth) it is only second-tier level in regards to timbre and midrange reproduction... the EBX21 is far more detailed in my opinon.

Yes, overall I do prefer the PT2021 as it was a far more listenable earbud to me (my sensitive ears) but the EBX21 was a far better performer technically speaking and if the upper mids and treble were not so naughty sounding to me I would probably still have a pair sitting in my stable (the same can be said of the Maria I & II).

Final Note: the one major area that I believe that both the EBX21 and PT2021 are truly lacking in regards to the Q701 is "airiness". Now being of open-air design many (most) earbuds do exhibit this quality and do it quite well but unfortunately just not on the same level nor scale as a full-sized open-back headphone like the Q701. The only earbuds I know of that exhibits such a level of airiness reaching, that of the Q701 or HD800, would be the Moondrop Chaconne (but that is warmly tuned and is most definitely a specialty bud so a one or two trick pony only and not an all-rounder); Pislo P7/PX Hifi (though the primary sound signature is extremely "aggressive" - Asian "female poison" tuning); VE Sun "Dice Edition" (though with a very strong airy secondary signature this is a very warmly tuned earbud); and perhaps the FiiO EM5 (exhibits some "bright" secondary sound characteristics that reach out towards "airy").

Thank you.

You gave me really good directions towards my possibly next earbuds. Good soundstage and crystal clear midrange is what I'm searching this time.

By the way, there is a pt2022 model from S-e-n-f-e-r.
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mOFbaZG

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2022 at 9:44 AM Post #60,906 of 75,272
Thank you.

You gave me really good directions towards my possibly next earbuds. Good soundstage and crystal clear midrange is what I'm searching this time.

By the way, we got a pt2022 model from S-e-n-f-e-r.
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mOFbaZG
You are most welcome. Awesome catch! Added to the timeline; thank you for the "head's up!" there. Cheers.

Apr 11, 2022 at 10:35 AM Post #60,907 of 75,272
Been a while I didnt try a new earbuds, last one was Qigom White Lotus which i like alot.
Well, from all NiceHCK earbuds I try, the EB2S are my second fav after flagship EBX. Smooth balanced tonality with great layering, nothing offensive, yet immersive and not boring. These LCP DD are always surprising. Their a sens of flexibility in transient that permit it to avoid going messy-muddy even with complex music...very unique in that regard!
My review is up:
https://nobsaudiophile.com/2022/04/11/nicehck-eb2s-review-surprisingly-refined-and-musical/

Apr 11, 2022 at 11:24 AM Post #60,908 of 75,272
For SMABAT fans, Smabat is having a storewide sale on their main shop page. Most of their earbuds are on discount there.

https://www.smabat.com/collections/all

But I'm a bit more interested in buying the NC02 (which is an IEM).

Apr 11, 2022 at 12:27 PM Post #60,910 of 75,272
Hi,
Any recommendations for 50$ earbuds with mx760/dp100 shell? (fit/comfort is superior than mx500 for my ears)
Did not find mmcx version with those shells.
Thanks
Beyerdynamic DP100 and Sennheiser MX760 are often mistaken for one another but they are different shells and not the same.

Nonetheless, a worthy consideration would be the 2020 - Shozy SG (32Ω) though it is with a fixed cable 😢.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2022 at 12:34 PM Post #60,911 of 75,272
Hi,
Any recommendations for 50$ earbuds with mx760/dp100 shell? (fit/comfort is superior than mx500 for my ears)
Did not find mmcx version with those shells.
Thanks
That's because MX500 cover has bigger diameter than MX760 cover and you need to use glue, which is always a bad choice.
Only recommendations for DP100 buds are ShoonTH lineup https://penonaudio.com/ShoonTH
and ofc rec by mr Woody

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2022 at 2:34 PM Post #60,913 of 75,272
Does anyone have any links for some budget bluetooth earbuds? I like the idea of earbuds rather than IEM for situational awareness.

Apr 11, 2022 at 3:05 PM Post #60,914 of 75,272

Users who are viewing this thread

Back