Earbuds Round-Up
Apr 9, 2022 at 10:57 AM Post #60,886 of 75,272
Has anyone ordered the NiceHCK $99 mystery bag?

Apr 9, 2022 at 1:50 PM Post #60,887 of 75,272
At least LHDC was included in the latest firmware update v1.4. FiiO may still be trying to work on LDAC support(?). I think if they could get LDAC working they would include it.

Thanks. I wasn't familiar with LHDC. So at the risk of one last OT post, here's a link I found that explains it (and yes, LHDC seems just fine!.. if one's phone supports it).

Apr 9, 2022 at 2:48 PM Post #60,888 of 75,272
Thanks. I wasn't familiar with LHDC. So at the risk of one last OT post, here's a link I found that explains it (and yes, LHDC seems just fine!.. if one's phone supports it).
Very few smart phones support it as of yet. For the last 4 years Huawei and Savatech have been the only phones that have bothered to certify using it. As of now the only other way to use LHDC is to use a music player app that has the driver baked in to it. Here is the Wiki for it, which includes the different apps that have it built in (for you to try if you like). I have tried all the apps that are listed there (AFAIK there aren't any more yet). For my part the iBasso driver implementation works best for me (at least for my Deva headphones), but the music player app is NOT good. For the other ones, the driver either is wonky at best, or doesn't work at all. It seems as though they are not pushing very hard to further this codec, even though there are a lot of big names that sit on the board of this union.

Heck, if you look at the specs for the iBasso Deva, it does support it (as well as the Ananda BT), but it is not even advertised on their own specs. It is basically an open source LDAC, but I don't think that it is done cooking yet, though if you get it working, it DOES sound very good.

In the mean-time, I am anxious to get a pair of those UTWS5 to try. I have been wanting to use them mainly for earbuds for some time now, because other than the Linkbuds, there aren't really any (good) open options in the TWS world. I don't mind cables at all, but I want to have the choice in what I use at any given time.

If they didn't cost so much, I have thought about a DIY project that I would like to do (that relates in end goal to the UTWS5). I wanted to modify the Chaconne, cutting down the stem, putting in an MMCX connector (which would make them much more balanced for weight), and then hooking them up to one of the BT adaptors (of course, at that point I could still use a regular cable with them too). I just can't bring myself to possibly ruining my current end game buds... :) So the RW2000 and RW3000 are the best candidate for the trial with BT adaptors that @mt877 seems to have beaten me to. :beerchug:

Apr 9, 2022 at 8:21 PM Post #60,889 of 75,272
Very few smart phones support it as of yet. For the last 4 years Huawei and Savatech have been the only phones that have bothered to certify using it. As of now the only other way to use LHDC is to use a music player app that has the driver baked in to it. Here is the Wiki for it, which includes the different apps that have it built in (for you to try if you like). I have tried all the apps that are listed there (AFAIK there aren't any more yet). For my part the iBasso driver implementation works best for me (at least for my Deva headphones), but the music player app is NOT good. For the other ones, the driver either is wonky at best, or doesn't work at all. It seems as though they are not pushing very hard to further this codec, even though there are a lot of big names that sit on the board of this union.

Heck, if you look at the specs for the iBasso Deva, it does support it (as well as the Ananda BT), but it is not even advertised on their own specs. It is basically an open source LDAC, but I don't think that it is done cooking yet, though if you get it working, it DOES sound very good.

In the mean-time, I am anxious to get a pair of those UTWS5 to try. I have been wanting to use them mainly for earbuds for some time now, because other than the Linkbuds, there aren't really any (good) open options in the TWS world. I don't mind cables at all, but I want to have the choice in what I use at any given time.

If they didn't cost so much, I have thought about a DIY project that I would like to do (that relates in end goal to the UTWS5). I wanted to modify the Chaconne, cutting down the stem, putting in an MMCX connector (which would make them much more balanced for weight), and then hooking them up to one of the BT adaptors (of course, at that point I could still use a regular cable with them too). I just can't bring myself to possibly ruining my current end game buds... :) So the RW2000 and RW3000 are the best candidate for the trial with BT adaptors that @mt877 seems to have beaten me to. :beerchug:
Yeah guys, I don't want to wander off topic either, but this discussion is relevant for those who want to go wireless and have buds with mmcx connectors.

First if you have an iOS device, as far as I know LHDC has not been implemented in either hardware or software (music player apps) so you're out of luck. If you have an Android (DAP, phone, tablet) device without LHDC baked in (OS level), then you can use a music player app which has LHDC programmed in to enjoy "near lossless" bluetooth streaming. I've read that some people that have Android phones with LHDC baked in have faced problems connecting to bluetooth receiver devices (headphones, adapters, etc.) which are LHDC compatible.

The one app I found that has a decent UI and LHDC implementation is the FiiO music player. You have to go into the player settings and enable the HWA setting. HWA = LHDC.

It's a 2 step process. 1st you connect via bluetooth to your device. Then you launch FiiO music player and in settings enable the HWA setting. A confirmation pop-up window appears saying LHDC will be used for bluetooth streaming, confirm it. Play your audio via the FiiO music app and enjoy some high res bluetooth streaming.

Edit: Shanling DAPs support LHDC, but it is not OS level. Just like the FiiO music player, it's built into the Shanling music player app. I have a Shanling M3X, but I always play music through the FiiO player app because I don't like the Shanling music player UI and there's some missing features.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2022 at 6:22 AM Post #60,891 of 75,272

Just for fun 😝

Hmm ... what about when you place them in the ears. Are your eyes glowing? :beerchug:
eye-glowing-eyes.gif

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2022 at 12:14 PM Post #60,892 of 75,272
What are some good 'beginner' buds to look into? (ie. less than $100, don't require an amp)
I've tried the Iris 2.0s and the RY4S MMCX, but was curious what the next step is. The *** PT2021 looks interesting but there's 4 different versions and it's not clear what the differences are in sound. Similar are the Smabat M2s Pro, but there's conflicting information on the fit and the different driver options.

I'm not looking for a specific recommendation per se, just looking for some pointers and clarity. I have 7Hz Timeless for 'serious' listening and I consider it to be endgame until I have a lot more disposable income as it sounds great for the music I listen to (some rock/pop/indie/hip-hop and a lot of electronic) but I still have a bit of bug having discovered buds haha.
I highly suggest K'searphones K64.

Apr 10, 2022 at 1:33 PM Post #60,894 of 75,272
Is there a "Q701 in earbuds form"?

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2022 at 1:54 PM Post #60,895 of 75,272
Is there any "Q701 in earbuds form"?
Maybe NiceHCK EBX21 (32Ω) or ****** PT2021 (147/275/365Ω). These are the closest earbuds that I can think of that have a similar sounding signature and tuning to the AKG Q701. Though it is most important to note that the Q701 has mad wide sound(head)stage unequalled by any earphone I have ever heard, earbud or IEM. Perhaps the Toneking (MusicMaker MrZ - Tiankui) Dendroaspis Viridis (32Ω) would be another viable option due to having a very wide soundstage for an earbud (one of the widest) but slightly tamer treble performance than the EBX21 or PT2021. The Rose Technics Maria II, although with stellar soundstage (being the queen of soundstage (widest) of all earbuds) the midrange and treble is quite different than the Q701... very mid-centric and more aggressive than bright.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2022 at 4:51 PM Post #60,896 of 75,272
@WoodyLuvr

A quick A/B testing between q701 and pt2021@365 confirmed what you pointed out. I don't have the other sets you mentioned.

Do you remember if either ebx21 or Virids have better midrange than pt2021? Compared to q701, pt2021 has a blurred midrange. The former also has better bass extension, though lacking subbass.

I know you prefer pt2021 over ebx21.

Thank you

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2022 at 12:47 AM Post #60,897 of 75,272
@WoodyLuvr

A quick A/B testing between q701 and pt2021@365 confirmed what you pointed out. I don't have the other sets you mentioned.

Do you remember if either ebx21 or Virids have better midrange than pt2021? Compared to q701, pt2021 has a blurred midrange. The former also has better bass extension, though lacking subbass.

I know you prefer pt2021 over ebx21.

Thank you
I completely forgot that you had the ****** PT2021 @ 365Ω... great you have that to make a comparison.

Yes, I do think that the NiceHCK EBX21 has the better midrange than all the models that I had mentioned in my last post (outside of the Rose Technics Maria II so the ****** PT2021 and Toneking Dendroaspis Viridis) and ultimately are probably your best candidate for being the most similar to the Q701 in tuning and signature. In this post I have gone into greater detail about the EBX21's tuning but one of the main reasons why I included them on my old God-Tier Earbuds List was because of their excellent timbre, very well presented midrange, and their strong analytical nature which is perfect for critical reference-like listening needs... that is if you can handle their bright cold critical nature which may be quite fatiguing to/for some. Just like the PT2021 the EBX21 has less emphasized bass but not grossly so as their timbre is top notch as I said before. Although the Dendroaspis Viridis has excellent soundstage (detailed and expansive in both width and depth) it is only second-tier level in regards to timbre and midrange reproduction... the EBX21 is far more detailed in my opinon.

Yes, overall I do prefer the PT2021 as it was a far more listenable earbud to me (my sensitive ears) but the EBX21 was a far better performer technically speaking and if the upper mids and treble were not so naughty sounding to me I would probably still have a pair sitting in my stable (the same can be said of the Maria I & II).

Final Note: the one major area that I believe that both the EBX21 and PT2021 are truly lacking in regards to the Q701 is "airiness". Now being of open-air design many (most) earbuds do exhibit this quality and do it quite well but unfortunately just not on the same level nor scale as a full-sized open-back headphone like the Q701. The only earbuds I know of that exhibits such a level of airiness reaching, that of the Q701 or HD800, would be the Moondrop Chaconne (but that is warmly tuned and is most definitely a specialty bud so a one or two trick pony only and not an all-rounder); Pislo P7/PX Hifi (though the primary sound signature is extremely "aggressive" - Asian "female poison" tuning); VE Sun "Dice Edition" (though with a very strong airy secondary signature this is a very warmly tuned earbud); and perhaps the FiiO EM5 (exhibits some "bright" secondary sound characteristics that reach out towards "airy").

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2022 at 12:47 AM Post #60,898 of 75,272
Hello friends, now I don’t have the opportunity and mood to buy earbuds from Aliexpress and Rholupat. My country has been attacked. the consequences are getting worse every day, air logistics do not work. When peace comes, I will write about my new purchases.

PS. I wanted to thank the UM x MusicTeck--MEST MKII/MEXT Love & Healing Edition for their support and the symbolic design of their product
Hope you and family are safe during these turbulent times. Wishing peace for all.
Yes, wishing peace, but peace on Ukrainian terms, not forced at the end of Russian bayonets. It will be a very sad day if Ukraine falls under the forced rule of Russian tyranny again after 30 years of independence. Long live a free and independent Ukraine!

Apr 11, 2022 at 1:29 AM Post #60,900 of 75,272
MX500 shells, noodly thin cable like the Traceless/Vido. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I don't understand what you mean by paying only the low price for it.
If you're not happy with the cable, you'll be happy if you replace it with another cable you like with solder or attach an MMCX connector.:L3000:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back