Earbuds Round-Up
Apr 3, 2022 at 7:58 PM Post #60,811 of 75,288
FiiO EM5 vs Yincrow RW-3000

Sound source: Mac Mini USB C > miniDSP HA-DSP (with DSP filtering off)

As a side note, at my computer I listen to music with Sennheiser HD 598SE open back headphones compensated to Harman headphone curve with the miniDSP HA-DSP.

FiiO EM5 with donut foams notes:

Overall balanced with bass emphasis. Midrange gets nice bass timbre for added fullness without getting dragged into the mud.
Treble is slightly rolled off, but details present, male vocals good, lose some edge in female vocals and instruments. Not fatiguing to listen to due to the treble roll off.

Yincrow RW-3000 with donut foams notes:

Overall well balanced, clean & clear mid-centric and treble emphasis, not lacking bass, but not as deep compared to EM5. Had to turn up the volume a little bit on the HA-DSP (compared to EM5) to bring out the true nature of the RW-3000.

Synergy notes:

The miniDSP HA-DSP is neutral (as a DSP should be!). With DSP filtering off the EM5's were easier to listen to, probably due to the slight treble roll off. The RW-3000 had better clarity, but wasn't as comfortable to listen to for an extended amount of time. Instead of donut foams, full foams would probably have increased the bass and toned down the highs.

My main goto DAPs are Sony ZX507 and ZX300 with WalkmanOne firmware. Sony DAPs are known for their warm sound signature. I also have a Shanling M3X which is more neutral sounding. The EM5 with donut foams pair well with the M3X, while the RW-3000 with donut foams pair well with either of the Sony DAPs.

EDIT: Another thought just occurred. Considering FiiO may have tuned the EM5 for best sound from their own DAPs / Amps (which I believe are neutral sounding) then it would make sense that they would sound good with other neutral sources.

In the end I don't think you could go wrong with either the EM5 of RW-3000. It depends on your own personal sound profile. I think your playback source will be a factor in what you experience. Also if you're not a purist and can live with some DSP (PEQ) tweaks, you'll probably get on with either of these buds no matter what your source.

FiiO EM5 without any DSP compensation.

Songs I used for A/B listening:

Billy Joel: Piano Man
Anuhea: Charismatic SOB
Euge Groove: Slow Jam
Aaron Copeland: Fanfare for The Common Man
Bonnie Raitt: I Can't Make You Love Me
Jake Shimabukuro: While My Guitar Gently Weeps
Mariah Carey: Love Takes Time
Frank Zappa: The Grand Wazoo
Sade: Your Love Is King
The Who: Quadrophenia
The Marshall Tucker Band: Searchin' For A Rainbow
Mindi Abair: The Joint
Thank you for doing this bro

Apr 4, 2022 at 12:22 AM Post #60,812 of 75,288
Hi guys, I read the @ClieOS review of DQSM PD21 and @WoodyLuvr tier-list. I'm finding more and more that earbuds are the best audio experience I've ever had, even though I've already tested iem, headphone and bookshelf. I already had the tc200, ry4s earbuds and now I have the Nicehck eb2s, which I loved. Tanchjim Oxygen is my main earphone now, but I want to replace this iem for an earbud of the same sound quality category, or better. I know they are different things, and I know the tonality limitations that the buds have. And i know that I won't have the similar tanchjim oxygen in the buds world.

I have in mind the DQSM PD21. My point is: Tonality wise, would I have the same (or better) level of sound quality on the PD21? Or would it be a downgrade? In other words: can PD21 compete in detail, resolution and technicalities with an iem like Oxygen/Olina, regardless of tonality?

Greetings from Brazil!
Welcome to the fold and to the rabbit hole! Please provide us a few more details (THE CHECKLIST) so we may provide you a helpful recommendation or two. Cheers.

Apr 4, 2022 at 7:36 AM Post #60,813 of 75,288
Welcome to the fold and to the rabbit hole! Please provide us a few more details (THE CHECKLIST) so we may provide you a helpful recommendation or two. Cheers.
Hi WoodyLuvr, thanks for the reply. I got here mainly for your tier-list. Below are the specs to help with the recommendation:
  • source (Smartphone > Spotfy + Shanling UP4 / Fiio KA3 / or other if upgrade is necessary)
  • preferred connection (3.5TRS, 4.4TRRS or 2.5TRRS)
  • listening level & session length (medium or low, to 2-3h sessions)
  • listening environment (office, home desktop, home listening room)
  • preferred sound signature (neutral or balanced, to bright, with good technique)
  • preferred music genre (thrash metal, hard rock, jazz, fusion, prog, i'm a all-rounder earphone hunter)
  • preferred shell and cushion type (anyone)
  • preferred brand (preferably brands or models that sell on aliexpress, to facilitate importation in Brazil)
  • budget (200 usd maximum)
  • special need and/or consideration (detachable cable)

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2022 at 7:49 AM Post #60,814 of 75,288
Hi WoodyLuvr, thanks for the reply. I got here mainly for your tier-list. Below are the specs to help with the recommendation:
  • source (Smartphone > Spotfy + Shanling UP4 / Fiio KA3 / or other if upgrade is necessary)
  • preferred sound signature (neutral or balanced, to bright, with good technique)
  • preferred music genre (thrash metal, hard rock, jazz, fusion, prog, i'm a all-rounder earphone hunter)
  • preferred brand (preferably brands or models that sell on aliexpress, to facilitate importation in Brazil)
Welcome into the rabbit hole. It is a bottomless pit of endless enjoyment and experimentation

Apr 4, 2022 at 4:15 PM Post #60,817 of 75,288
Hi guys, I read the @ClieOS review of DQSM PD21 and @WoodyLuvr tier-list. I'm finding more and more that earbuds are the best audio experience I've ever had, even though I've already tested iem, headphone and bookshelf. I already had the tc200, ry4s earbuds and now I have the Nicehck eb2s, which I loved. Tanchjim Oxygen is my main earphone now, but I want to replace this iem for an earbud of the same sound quality category, or better. I know they are different things, and I know the tonality limitations that the buds have. And i know that I won't have the similar tanchjim oxygen in the buds world.

I have in mind the DQSM PD21. My point is: Tonality wise, would I have the same (or better) level of sound quality on the PD21? Or would it be a downgrade? In other words: can PD21 compete in detail, resolution and technicalities with an iem like Oxygen/Olina, regardless of tonality?

Greetings from Brazil!
A few to consider with mmcx and a semi-neutral bright sound signature that would play well with those genres:

Under USD $200 would be the:
NiceHCK Audio EBX21; •*•*•*•*•*•*• PT2021 147Ω; Toneking Dendroaspis Viridis; and Yincrow 野牛 'Bison' RW-2000. (edit: DQSM Audio PD21)

Saving a little bit more money @ USD $300 you have the:
FiiO EM5 and the Rose Technics Maria II.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2022 at 7:41 PM Post #60,818 of 75,288
A few to consider with mmcx and a semi-neutral bright sound signature that would play well with those genres:

Under USD $200 would be the:
NiceHCK Audio EBX21; •*•*•*•*•*•*• PT2021 147Ω; Toneking Dendroaspis Viridis; and Yincrow 野牛 'Bison' RW-2000.

Saving a little bit more money @ USD $300 you have the:
FiiO EM5 and the Rose Technics Maria II.
Don't forget the Smabat M2S Pro?! :)

Apr 4, 2022 at 8:58 PM Post #60,819 of 75,288
How is the Moondrop Chaconne? I'm coming from ThieAudio Legacy 3 (I don't like it that much) and before I had the Apple Earbuds (were alright for being free).

I really want details, soundstage, good treble extension and quite nice bass (I'm not a bass head but I love soundtracks like Dune or Doom, will they be good enough for them?)

Apr 4, 2022 at 9:55 PM Post #60,820 of 75,288
How is the Moondrop Chaconne? I'm coming from ThieAudio Legacy 3 (I don't like it that much) and before I had the Apple Earbuds (were alright for being free).

I really want details, soundstage, good treble extension and quite nice bass (I'm not a bass head but I love soundtracks like Dune or Doom, will they be good enough for them?)
The Chaconne have some of the smoothest yet revealing tuning I have heard (in any form of head gear), but they lack any sort of quantity of bass. The texture and speed is there (and is absolutely fantastic), but it is very recessed compared to the rest of the frequency curve. For myself it depends on the type of music I listen to as to whether I add a bit of EQ to the lower end or not. Without EQ they are the best for classical, and most jazz, etc... With EQ they become outstanding for all-rounders (IMHO). YMMV but these are (and have been) part of my end game for earbuds. Listening to something like Pink Floyd: The Wall in 24/192 (for instance) is absolutely euphoric, or dare I say ear-phoric?!

Also keep in mind they are fairly heavy and top heavy, so they aren't the greatest for being on the move (though I have managed it myself). That can be solved with some wings though (or earhooks).

Just my point of view though! :)

Apr 4, 2022 at 11:31 PM Post #60,821 of 75,288
I got these in the mail a couple days ago...

Berserker 1a.jpg

Berserker 1b.jpg

Welcome to the debut of RikuBuds earbuds model Berserker 1. I'll call them B1's for short.

If you've been following the Earbuds Round-Up thread, then you already know @RikudouGoku teased about introducing some buds that would be the ultimate Yincrow X6 upgrade. People teased and joked about it, but ultimately I think most everyone would like to see "One of their own" make it in this small niche market. I was one of the first... just behind @waynes world to make a commitment toward that goal and bought a set of the B1's.

Well RikudouGoku was good on his word. These buds are a a big upgrade over the X6's and deliver nice bass punch with a sub-bass focus that don't bleed all over the mids. Also somewhat of a surprise is that the treble is smooth and airy, not sharp and in your face. Not sure if it's just a small treble roll off, but makes for non-fatiguing listening experience.

Of course since I just spent some time intently listening to both Fiio EM5 and Yincrow RW-3000, I'll give a little comparison.

The sound signature leans toward the RW-3000. I guess that would be inevitable considering RikudouGoku was aiming for an upgrade over the Yincrow X6. I've listened to these buds side by side the RW-3000. The B1's have a touch more bass, the midrange is comparable and the treble is smoother. Where the B1's can't compare is the overall soundstage that the RW-3000 present.

Anyway, if you're looking to check these out for yourself just DM RikudouGoku, I'm sure he'll be happy to help you.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2022 at 11:41 PM Post #60,822 of 75,288
I got these in the mail a couple days ago...

Berserker 1a.jpg

Berserker 1b.jpg

Welcome to the debut of RikuBuds earbuds model Berserker 1. I'll call them B1's for short.

If you've been following the Earbuds Round-Up thread, then you already know @RikudouGoku teased about introducing some buds that would be the ultimate Yincrow X6 upgrade. People teased and joked about it, but ultimately I think most everyone would like to see "One of their own" make it in this small niche market. I was one of the first... just behind @waynes world to make a commitment toward that goal and bought a set of the B1's.

Well RikudouGoku was good on his word. These buds are a a big upgrade over the X6's and deliver nice bass punch with a sub-bass focus that don't bleed all over the mids. Also somewhat of a surprise is that the treble is smooth and airy, not sharp and in your face. Not sure if it's just a small treble roll off, but makes for non-fatiguing listening experience.

Of course since I just spent some time intently listening to both Fiio EM5 and Yincrow RW-3000, I'll give a little comparison.

The sound signature leans toward the RW-3000. I guess that would be inevitable considering RikudouGoku was aiming for an upgrade over the Yincrow X6. I've listened to these buds side by side the RW-3000. The B1's have a touch more bass, the midrange is comparable and the treble is smoother. Where the B1's can't compare is the overall soundstage that the RW-3000 present.

Anyway, if you're looking to check these out for yourself just DM Rikudougoku, I'm sure he'll be happy to help you.
@RikudouGoku how much it is boss?

Apr 5, 2022 at 2:29 AM Post #60,825 of 75,288
FiiO EM5 vs Yincrow RW-3000
Thanks for this rundown. I think it'll be very useful for a lot of people here as they're in direct competition.
I can back up what you said about the Fiio EM5 as well. After extensive testing, I also found the donut foams are the best.

I'll tell you what though, changing foams on the EM5 is a nightmare. That medical-grade 3D printed resin + rounded shape is a nightmare :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back