Earbuds Round-Up
May 10, 2021 at 12:16 AM Post #53,896 of 75,235
Have your other earbuds like the Zen LL arrived yet?
Yes. I just tried it to make sure it works but cannot say anything on their sound yet. The cable is nice but can sometimes make weird crackling noises. Not a big deal but there’s no excuse.
The Zen black is great but the cable is absolutely disastrous because of its stiffness. How and why would they do that ?
Thank god for the strong ear fins.

May 10, 2021 at 12:35 AM Post #53,897 of 75,235
Yes. I just tried it to make sure it works but cannot say anything on their sound yet. The cable is nice but can sometimes make weird crackling noises. Not a big deal but there’s no excuse.
The Zen black is great but the cable is absolutely disastrous because of its stiffness. How and why would they do that ?
Thank god for the strong ear fins.

"Crackling" noises might be from the cables rubbing on the inside of the shells around around the stem area. If it is actual sound crackling then it is a bad sign.
VE fixed this with the Sun series, where they use rubber stems to dampen the cable rubbing.

Zen Black I also could not deal with the stiff cable, so I traded it back to VE for some credits and after quite a few years later got this Zen Copper with some additional payment. I do like the original Oyaide plug that comes with the Zen Black though.

There is also a Zen White that costs a lot more and have a softer silver cable.

1620621400888.png

Last edited:
May 10, 2021 at 1:33 AM Post #53,898 of 75,235
"Crackling" noises might be from the cables rubbing on the inside of the shells around around the stem area. If it is actual sound crackling then it is a bad sign.
VE fixed this with the Sun series, where they use rubber stems to dampen the cable rubbing.

Zen Black I also could not deal with the stiff cable, so I traded it back to VE for some credits and after quite a few years later got this Zen Copper with some additional payment. I do like the original Oyaide plug that comes with the Zen Black though.

There is also a Zen White that costs a lot more and have a softer silver cable.

1620621400888.png
Wow ! Zen white ! Did not know that !

About the crackling noise, it’s like you say, cables rubbing near the shell.
Should I send it back you think ?

May 10, 2021 at 1:47 AM Post #53,899 of 75,235
Wow ! Zen white ! Did not know that !

About the crackling noise, it’s like you say, cables rubbing near the shell.
Should I send it back you think ?

It is not exactly a defect but if it bothers you enough, you should try and send it back. I suspect even if you get another pair it might still have the same issue.

For the SL version I heard that VE had to put in more effort to fit the dual braid copper cable through the stem. I suspect it might fit just nicely inside and should avoid this problem.

May 10, 2021 at 1:51 AM Post #53,900 of 75,235
It is not exactly a defect but if it bothers you enough, you should try and send it back. I suspect even if you get another pair it might still have the same issue.

For the SL version I heard that VE had to put in more effort to fit the dual braid copper cable through the stem. I suspect it might fit just nicely inside and should avoid this problem.
Putting them on right now. Ok to be honest it’s really not the end of the world. Especially since i don’t move a lot with them. So all good.
Will get back to you with more impressions of them in the coming weeks.

May 10, 2021 at 3:17 AM Post #53,902 of 75,235
Any particular reason?

I've used them for diy parts with no issues.
I believe @baskingshark had some problems with them before....

As for the huo store, the only reason I want more info if they are legit or not is because they are mostly selling DIY stuff. Like, how easy wouldnt it be for them to sell their own DIY versions of the K buds, the Samsara for example is just an MX500 shell, it should be quite easy for them to just make their own MX500 bud and call it the "samsara"....

I hope I am being paranoid here....

May 10, 2021 at 4:37 AM Post #53,903 of 75,235
Just a quick question guys, are the foams included with the monk plus the thin ones? Got some of the thin ones from the VE ex-pack and I quite like them, though I don't care much for the normal and donuts foams, so maybe it's better to just get a monk plus for the extra thin foams? If someone can confirm they come with thin foams. Thanks!:slight_smile:

May 10, 2021 at 8:00 AM Post #53,906 of 75,235
Those are far from delivered yet. They better be good because they’re also the more expensive of the bunch :)
Last night @assassin10000 tested and post graph here, for DIY 14.8mm 32Ω Titanium driver which is so damn close to be the king of DIY 14.8mm drivers (current king of DIY 14.8mm drivers is PK 150Ω "red film" driver which is originally made for Nokia HDD-1 buds). I mentioned this because most Ti drivers have great potential
K's is a well-known brand that in addition to its original design (current king of comfort) and the quality parts they use for their drivers, they are also good at tuning.
Anyway, Bell-Ti 120ohms model was one of their flagship models a few years ago. so I hope these beautiful buds will take an honorable place in your collection :beerchug:

Last edited:
May 10, 2021 at 8:48 AM Post #53,907 of 75,235
Moondrop Chaconne review is up: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/moondrop-chaconne.24110/reviews#review-25837

How this doesnt have any hype at all is beyond me. This is the sole reason why I am looking at other TOTL buds. Like the K Bell-WE and the Samsara K300.

I already gave the title of "Ultra Instinct" to the Dunu EST112, so I will give this the title of "Super Saiyan Blue Gogeta":

GogetaBlue2.gif

Vocal/acoustic music lovers will love this one, endgame worthy in those genres...

May 10, 2021 at 8:55 AM Post #53,908 of 75,235
Moondrop Chaconne review is up: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/moondrop-chaconne.24110/reviews#review-25837

How this doesnt have any hype at all is beyond me. This is the sole reason why I am looking at other TOTL buds. Like the K Bell-WE and the Samsara K300.

I already gave the title of "Ultra Instinct" to the Dunu EST112, so I will give this the title of "Super Saiyan Blue Gogeta":

GogetaBlue2.gif

Vocal/acoustic music lovers will love this one, endgame worthy in those genres...
So they justify the price?

May 10, 2021 at 8:58 AM Post #53,909 of 75,235
So they justify the price?
Indeed they do. NR 1 transducer for acoustic/vocals isnt a small feat with my collection. :joy:
(over 100 transducers.)

May 10, 2021 at 9:03 AM Post #53,910 of 75,235
Another reason why I am so impressed by the Chaconne, is that this is pretty far from my preference target.

RikudouGoku BETA 1.5.png

Thats my (WIP) preference target (iem graph), so as you might be able to tell, I sure love my bass (especially sub-bass). The Chaconne is pretty far from that and yet I still love it and actually like it more than the RW-2000 which is closer to my target.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back