DIY Earbuds
Apr 25, 2021 at 5:27 PM Post #3,317 of 4,718
Findings and driver pictures on the Tingo OG TC200/TC200 in MX500 shell and the "DIY" versions

Sorry for taking a bit too long, but here's what I found on those TC200 variants (+ some extras). I'll be copying my FB post exactly with some format fixes so forgive me if this is a bit crappy :p

I just hope some people find it useful and be used to guide themselves when buying a pair of these.
I'll just put a bullet on what I found on various sources:
  • For the sake of context, there were reported "new" variants of the "DIY" TC200 in our group, and the found knowledge that it's basically a bootleg of a bootleg, mimicking the Tingo TC200 (MX500 shell version) which is also intended to copy the likeness sound-wise of the unicorn and rare Sennheiser MX985.
  • There is also reported driver variance in the "DIY" Versions of the TC200, with three drivers found so far. (Please dm me or post it here if you found another one that isn't here!)
  • The three drivers we found on the "DIY" TC200 include the most common driver which is called the " 32ohm PK-style MX500 driver" with an identifiable red resin on the edges of the driver frame. Second one being the Vido-like drivers with better coil epoxy and with a green resin on the edge of the driver frame. The third one is also a Vido-like driver but with a blue coil epoxy and a noticeable color separation on the PCB pads. We honestly don't know what driver came first unless it's revealed by the manufacturers, but I have a hunch that the blue coil epoxy came first, the green resin second and the latest is the PK style red resins.
    148636848_118091380227672_4819728367034247696_n.jpg

20210403_002444_HDR.jpg

Screenshot_20210306_223921_com.discord.jpg
  • For the actual TinGo TC200/TC200 in MX500, it uses completely different drivers. The former is using actual/OEM'd/refurbed (?) MX985 driver and the latter using a weird titanium plated driver with a smaller driver frame size compared to its MX500 faceplate.
    TB2rxCIbpXXXXXMXpXXXXXXXXXX-36787928.jpg

20180605_144948.jpg
  • I've also put the actual MX985 in comparison to the OG TC200. The drivers they use are almost the same honestly... but the OG TC200 is more damped than the actual MX985, which is interesting. At least there is given effort in its tuning, it might have been hard adjusting that just to sound like it's the actual thing.
    7365773.jpg
  • Also an addition, but the Tingo TG-38s uses a weird driver that has a bit large center vent, small pcb and solder surface with tuning cotton for the vents.
    20210403_002736_HDR.jpg

Apr 25, 2021 at 6:35 PM Post #3,318 of 4,718
Findings and driver pictures on the Tingo OG TC200/TC200 in MX500 shell and the "DIY" versions

Sorry for taking a bit too long, but here's what I found on those TC200 variants (+ some extras). I'll be copying my FB post exactly with some format fixes so forgive me if this is a bit crappy :p

I just hope some people find it useful and be used to guide themselves when buying a pair of these.
I'll just put a bullet on what I found on various sources:
  • For the sake of context, there were reported "new" variants of the "DIY" TC200 in our group, and the found knowledge that it's basically a bootleg of a bootleg, mimicking the Tingo TC200 (MX500 shell version) which is also intended to copy the likeness sound-wise of the unicorn and rare Sennheiser MX985.
  • There is also reported driver variance in the "DIY" Versions of the TC200, with three drivers found so far. (Please dm me or post it here if you found another one that isn't here!)
  • The three drivers we found on the "DIY" TC200 include the most common driver which is called the " 32ohm PK-style MX500 driver" with an identifiable red resin on the edges of the driver frame. Second one being the Vido-like drivers with better coil epoxy and with a green resin on the edge of the driver frame. The third one is also a Vido-like driver but with a blue coil epoxy and a noticeable color separation on the PCB pads. We honestly don't know what driver came first unless it's revealed by the manufacturers, but I have a hunch that the blue coil epoxy came first, the green resin second and the latest is the PK style red resins.

• For the actual TinGo TC200/TC200 in MX500, it uses completely different drivers. The former is using actual/OEM'd/refurbed (?) MX985 driver and the latter using a weird titanium plated driver with a smaller driver frame size compared to its MX500 faceplate.

• I've also put the actual MX985 in comparison to the OG TC200. The drivers they use are almost the same honestly... but the OG TC200 is more damped than the actual MX985, which is interesting. At least there is given effort in its tuning, it might have been hard adjusting that just to sound like it's the actual thing.
  • Also an addition, but the Tingo TG-38s uses a weird driver that has a bit large center vent, small pcb and solder surface with tuning cotton for the vents.

Man you're dissecting this buds like surgeon :) BTW ... very useful info. This need to be archived in the book Anatomy of the buds :wink:
I also open my TC200 and according to your research I think it is an old model (the foam is placed on the shell)
I didn't open TG38s because I like stock setup. Now I know ( thanks to you :beerchug: ) how it looks inside. Definitely not the same driver as TC200 (it's way better)

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2021 at 7:29 AM Post #3,321 of 4,718
May 9, 2021 at 1:56 PM Post #3,324 of 4,718
Last edited:
May 9, 2021 at 3:34 PM Post #3,325 of 4,718
Two interesting drivers

LCP Film Diaphragm Driver (yellow plastic is just a protection or actual diaphragm?): https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002539743673.html

15.4mm (f.r:20Hz-22kHz ; s: 98.5dB) driver: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002372955927.html

The last driver shows an old-school backplate with 17 holes. This driver, according to graph (if this is accurate), has an accentuated treble at 8-9K
H608681d15cd94015a71db5022bbb9902r.jpg
LCP is liquid crystal polymer. Or a plastic that crystalizes after being in a liquid state. So I'm guessing that yellow IS the LCP. Neat find.

That second driver, ouch. Possibly harsh and bright.

Finally getting around to putting those new 14.8mm Ti drivers together and tuning them.

Unfortunately due to Win 10, it sometime in the last week or so 'forgot' the drivers for the graphics and audio. Probably some update broke something. Gotta fix it before I can take any measurements.

IMG_20210508_145545.jpg

Last edited:
May 9, 2021 at 4:24 PM Post #3,326 of 4,718
LCP is liquid crystal polymer. Or a plastic that crystalizes after being in a liquid state. So I'm guessing that yellow IS the LCP. Neat find.

That second driver, ouch. Possibly harsh and bright.

Finally getting around to putting those new 14.8mm Ti drivers together and tuning them.

Unfortunately due to Win 10, it sometime in the last week or so 'forgot' the drivers for the graphics and audio. Probably some update broke something. Gotta fix it before I can take any measurements.

Yup. Win 10 had a new update last week and also REW. Throw some graph when you have time

Last edited:
May 9, 2021 at 6:50 PM Post #3,327 of 4,718
Yup. Win 10 had a new update last week and also REW. Throw some graph when you have time

So. These were a pleasant surprise. Signature is similar to the 150Ω redfilm with higher upper treble (air) extension. Sub-bass extension is as good as the redfilm and also doesn't have the typical mid-bass hump.

They don't have the electrical damping (blacker background) of the 150Ω redfilm and not quite the same resolution.

Spent last night fixing my laptop and got the audio (and graphics) drivers back up and running.

150Ω redfilm vs 32Ω Ti.jpg

These may drop right into 2nd place of my personal ranking on 14.8mm diy drivers. Haven't even felt the need for any EQ (yet).

Last edited:
May 9, 2021 at 7:41 PM Post #3,328 of 4,718
So. These were a pleasant surprise. Signature is similar to the 150Ω redfilm with higher upper treble (air) extension. Sub-bass extension is as good as the redfilm and also doesn't have the typical mid-bass hump.

They don't have the electrical damping (blacker background) of the 150Ω redfilm and not quite the same resolution.

Spent last night fixing my laptop and got the audio (and graphics) drivers back up and running.

These may drop right into 2nd place of my personal ranking on 14.8mm diy drivers. Haven't even felt the need for any EQ (yet).
The "king" is still the king. Titanium drivers have better treble if they are well tuned which is not a common case.
I don't like 15.4mm 64ohm full Ti driver but 10mm 48ohm Ti that I used here is one of my favorite.
BTW...tanks for the graphs and a brief introduction to the new member of the Ti family :beerchug:

May 10, 2021 at 7:38 AM Post #3,329 of 4,718

What filter did you use for the housing?

May 11, 2021 at 2:13 AM Post #3,330 of 4,718
What filter did you use for the housing?
Breathable tape.

Since I had a 2nd pair of those 32Ω Ti drivers, I decided to swap them onto my already modified X12 Ultra's (after removing the 64Ω N55 drivers). Here they are with the new ones:
IMG_20210510_170918.jpg

They do require some EQ, as I think there is some baked into the chipset for the original drivers.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back