Earbuds Round-Up
May 11, 2020 at 9:14 AM Post #47,866 of 75,149
I really doubt they were fake, lets not pretend everything aiwa and sony made are gold, just because its vintage doesnt mean it cant be crap. That particular model is just that, crap.

The point is there is just no way to tell. There were so many fake back then that some people thought they were truly owning the real thing only to find out they are fake years later, if at all.

In fact, just a few years ago counterfeiters get so good that Shure engineer can't tell just by looking on whether the transparent SE215 sent back for warranty was real or not.

May 11, 2020 at 10:10 AM Post #47,867 of 75,149
The point is there is just no way to tell. There were so many fake back then that some people thought they were truly owning the real thing only to find out they are fake years later, if at all.

In fact, just a few years ago counterfeiters get so good that Shure engineer can't tell just by looking on whether the transparent SE215 sent back for warranty was real or not.

I brought that up in another reply. It's only my opinion but using the metric "if it doesnt sound good its a fake" seems a bit biased. I honestly have not seen a post about fake vintage earbuds, it may have happened then, but I doubt that many fakes survived...people that tend to keep vintage audio know what they have.

"Just a few years ago" is not in the '80 or '90 when the technology wasnt readily available for everyone to make the high ( or low ) quality diaphragms and exotic materials they used for they higher end buds...

You cant judge if a product is fake or not just by looking at the shell, the whole point of counterfeits is to make it dirt cheap for a profit..they WILL cut corners somewhere, else they would just release the same/better product at the same/cheaper price....free market and all that

I've seen people praise everything ( especially on the facebook page ) and it almost seems to fit an agenda.... /rant*

May 11, 2020 at 11:31 AM Post #47,868 of 75,149
Spent most of the day using either the VE Monk Lite (Silver/White, 120Ω), or the VE Monk Lite (Gold/Black, 40Ω) w/Mic & Volume Control. Started out with the Gold/Black (Donut Foams over Full Foams), connected to my work PC, and getting the Mic settings right to use it for WebEx & MS Teams online conferences. Then I switched over to the Silver/White (Donut Foams), and listened to some music.
The VE Monk Lite is a comfortable size, and both of them sound good.
Is the VE model with mic still available? Could not find it on Amazon or aliexpress.

Last edited:
May 11, 2020 at 1:55 PM Post #47,869 of 75,149
I brought that up in another reply. It's only my opinion but using the metric "if it doesnt sound good its a fake" seems a bit biased. I honestly have not seen a post about fake vintage earbuds, it may have happened then, but I doubt that many fakes survived...people that tend to keep vintage audio know what they have.

I think you might have skipped to a few words out of my first reply. Allow me to repost them so you can read it again:

...or maybe they are just fake. Aiwa earbuds were already widely counterfeited before the company went under.

I have been in the earbuds scene long enough to see really excellently faked earbuds around, from decades ago. They ain't nearly as commonly discussed here as they are in Taobao / among Chinese earbuds lover as those are issues much closer to their home. I have seen example of very well made fake earbuds being sold a long time ago, from China to oversea market, got picked up by unsuspected international buyer and then only to be resold back to vintage earbuds collector in China years later to be discovered as fake, as it just just so happened the collector already owns a pair of the real earbud and able to compare it to the fake. Assuming fake earbuds must have cut corner is to me not really an proof of anything. Sure, there are many cheap forgery, but it doesn't mean the wasn't any good forgery either. I am not saying what you have must absolutely be fake, just that it is a possibility.

Last edited:
May 11, 2020 at 2:14 PM Post #47,870 of 75,149
Is the VE model with mic still available? Could not find it on Amazon or aliexpress.

When I bought my set of Monk Lite w/Mic, they were ordered from the VE website, but it looks like they aren't selling / shipping from the website right now -
https://www.veclan.com/engappliance_sel_one?eng_ApplianceVo.eac_id=24

EDIT: VE used to sell a 3-Button Android Controller (that's the one I have) - but now they only sell a 3-Button iPhone controller. I believe the Mic works on either type of phone, but the Volume Control only works on iPhones.

Last edited:
May 12, 2020 at 12:41 AM Post #47,871 of 75,149
Hey guys need some help here, hope anyone could answer, thanks

So, Ive got a soldering iron which could go from 100-450 degree celsius, how much only is needed when I solder my earphone driver to wires?. I usually go up to 350 on full sized headphone drivers but I dont know with this earbud driver ones.

May 12, 2020 at 1:00 AM Post #47,872 of 75,149
Hey guys need some help here, hope anyone could answer, thanks

So, Ive got a soldering iron which could go from 100-450 degree celsius, how much only is needed when I solder my earphone driver to wires?. I usually go up to 350 on full sized headphone drivers but I dont know with this earbud driver ones.

If you're building earbuds a good resource here is this thread:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/diy-earbuds.822327/

Heat is determined by the solder used. You could test what solder you have to find the temp above the solders melting point, where it melts/flows quickly without having to maintain contact. Meaning you can dab the solder to the iron and it will melt immediately.

You want to apply the least amount of time of contact with the soldering iron to the earbud drivers. Heat can and if you are not careful, will damage them.

I would highly recommend tinning the wires first and when soldering have the iron at temp. Then while holding the wire on the connection point, touch the iron to them just long enough for the solder to flow and connect them. Immediately remove the iron and blow across the driver a few times, this helps with temperature control. Then repeat for the other side.

May 12, 2020 at 12:22 PM Post #47,873 of 75,149
This song is amazing on the Moondrop Nameless:

not a problem with the bass either if there is no bass in the song :smirk: :joy:

May 12, 2020 at 1:54 PM Post #47,877 of 75,149
Hello, i´m new in the forum and was looking for some info about the fengru EMX 500 Bro. Could you please tell me how does it sound compared to the regular EMX 500? Don´t know which one to get on aliexpress, thanks!

I have not listened to the regular exm500

May 12, 2020 at 2:40 PM Post #47,879 of 75,149
Ok, and hows the sound on the bros? Thanks :)
I remember it was good.. That is a very old post you quoted. I hope someone else will answer. Usually I would get them out and have a listen but I can't. I have not been able to enjoy music since my husband @HungryPanda died from Covid 19 on April 15th. It will be long time until I can fully participate here. I have noticed that most threads ae quieter during this difficult time.

May 12, 2020 at 2:43 PM Post #47,880 of 75,149
I remember it was good.. That is a very old post you quoted. I hope someone else will answer. Usually I would get them out and have a listen but I can't. I have not been able to enjoy music since my husband @HungryPanda died from Covid 19 on April 15th. It will be long time until I can fully participate here. I have noticed that most threads ae quieter during this difficult time.

Please accept my deepest condolences. I am terribly sorry to hear about his passing. I have lurked on this thread for a long time, and always appreciated that there was a husband and wife duo on here, having fun and contributing so actively.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back