Earbuds Round-Up
Nov 10, 2019 at 4:07 PM Post #45,781 of 75,317
Is Penon Audio having some sort of sale I'm not seeing?

If you are a member of the EA group on FB you can get a code to buy the Earbuds Anonymous earbud on Penon. $25 instead of $50. Nothing to do with 11:11 which Penon never seems to do anyway. Several of us have already bought and received the EA bud.

Nov 10, 2019 at 4:09 PM Post #45,782 of 75,317
If you are a member of the EA group on FB you can get a code to buy the Earbuds Anonymous earbud on Penon. $25 instead of $50. Nothing to do with 11:11 which Penon never seems to do anyway. Several of us have already bought and received the EA bud.
Copy that. I read a post - Someone had mentioned getting one of the TKs at a discount... I believe.

Nov 10, 2019 at 4:51 PM Post #45,783 of 75,317
I've been using the TO400 a lot this week, recently upgraded my DAC + amp, and the TO400 has really come alive with the new rig. I've considered picking up a TO180 to get that similar sound but with a bit more bass. But yeah, the TO400 is really superb for mid/treble clarity, imaging, and stage. Also their shell shape is a really stable and comfortable fit for me, much more comfortable than EBX and ME80 by comparison.

Totally agree, the TO400s is superb, it has a much more relaxed sound and fit than the EBX, but is not lacking in clarity and detail at all, a very good set with proper amping

Nov 10, 2019 at 5:12 PM Post #45,785 of 75,317
Hello, everybody.

I just published my first review of an earbud TOTL, a real flagship, high price. It's normal that my assessment of them is very enthusiastic, but, really, there is a big qualitative leap, compared to all the earbuds I own. It is probable that there are better earbuds, Mr. @ClieOS surely corroborates this assertion. But, even so, its enormous quality is unquestionable. I hope you like it, although you must understand, that is still my humble opinion, the opinion of an enthusiast who has started from below in this world of earbuds.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/ourart-qj21.24038/reviews#review-22883

Nov 10, 2019 at 5:13 PM Post #45,786 of 75,317
Curiosity is getting to me. Thinking about scooping up a TI7 to compare to my ACG. Either that or the M1 pro. Not much else I'm interested in this 11.11

I have all of them. What doubts do you have?

ACG is the sharp brother of the Ti7, while the M1 are more similar to the ST-10, somewhat more unbalanced in mids. But I still haven't deeply compared ST-10 vs M1. Next week I will write the review of the M1.

About the thickness of the capsules of the M1, someone asked me to measure them, about 5mm, somewhat thicker than the ST-10, like 0.5mm. But the ST-10 has a more rounded edge, while the M1, the edge is flatter. But the asymmetry of the M1 makes them very comfortable.
Overall diameter M1: 16.2mm, ST-10: 16.8mm

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2019 at 5:36 PM Post #45,787 of 75,317
I have all of them. What doubts do you have?

ACG is the sharp brother of the Ti7, while the M1 are more similar to the ST-10, somewhat more unbalanced in mids. But I still haven't deeply compared ST-10 vs M1. Next week I will write the review of the M1.

About the thickness of the capsules of the M1, someone asked me to measure them, about 5mm, somewhat thicker than the ST-10, like 0.5mm. But the ST-10 has a more rounded edge, while the M1, the edge is flatter. But the asymmetry of the M1 makes them very comfortable.
Overall diameter M1: 16.2mm, ST-10: 16.8mm

No doubts. Just kinda curious to hear them for myself.

I saw the graphs comparing the acg/ti7 which showed the ti7 missing the treble peaks of the acg, which sparked my interest.

Good to know the size of the m1 pro. So overall thicker, but smaller diameter (just about pk size) and slightly less radiused (bigger curved edge or 'flatter/wider'). Unbalanced in the mids? Do you mean a bit recessed compared to bass/treble?

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2019 at 5:48 PM Post #45,788 of 75,317
Imbalance occurs within the mids themselves. It is something similar to what happens between Ti7 and ACG, suddenly, the M1 means become more emphasized, but only punctually. This affects the difference between male and female voices. Although perhaps it is a lack of burning for the midrange to be balanced.

Nov 10, 2019 at 7:31 PM Post #45,789 of 75,317
Looking to purchase a balanced cable for my mmcx connects. Anyone have any thoughts on pure copper vs silver p copper? I have both for various headphones, and while it could just be me, I think I'm hearing a little more brightness with silver plated.
I'm thinking with buds, I don't really want any additional brightness or top end extension, as that's how the majority of buds come tuned.
Also looking for any thoughts on the 3 brands I'm looking at. ****, Nicehck, and Hifihear. So many of these balanced cables readily available without having to turn to DIY.

Nov 10, 2019 at 7:37 PM Post #45,790 of 75,317
Imbalance occurs within the mids themselves. It is something similar to what happens between Ti7 and ACG, suddenly, the M1 means become more emphasized, but only punctually. This affects the difference between male and female voices. Although perhaps it is a lack of burning for the midrange to be balanced.

I am having a problem understanding what you are describing. I have not noticed anything strange with the mids on my M1.

Also looking for any thoughts on the 3 brands I'm looking at. ****, Nicehck, and Hifihear. So many of these balanced cables readily available without having to turn to DIY.

They are very likely made by the same factories for them. Just get what you like the look of. I will mention that I prefer copper personally and for buds I don't want the cable to be too heavy... especially if it is going to hang straight down. I have gotten several 4 core and 6 core copper mmcx cables for just a few dollars each.

Nov 10, 2019 at 7:39 PM Post #45,791 of 75,317
I am having a problem understanding what you are describing. I have not noticed anything strange with the mids on my M1.

They are very likely made by the same factories for them. Just get what you like the look of. I will mention that I prefer copper personally and for buds I don't want the cable to be too heavy... especially if it is going to hang straight down. I have gotten several 4 core and 6 core copper mmcx cables for just a few dollars each.
Thanks. Have you noticed a difference between pure copper and silver plated in any way?

Nov 10, 2019 at 8:05 PM Post #45,792 of 75,317
Thanks. Have you noticed a difference between pure copper and silver plated in any way?

I don't attempt to compare in that way. For one thing, I consider mmcx connectors to be a bit fragile so once I choose a cable I rarely take it off to try another. I think the reason I say I prefer copper is because other people say silver is brighter and I have never ever wished something was brighter.... even if maybe it needs to be:) I really choose my cables for aesthetics and ergonomics so of course sometimes the cable I want is silver plated... or sometimes different wires are twisted tog ether like this gorgeous thing

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000130561057.html

I have this on an over ear IEM and paid $18 introductory price for it a while back. I personally would not use it on a bud but some might.

because of certain headfi restrictions involving certain brands I can only tell you to search the following to find what I have on some of my mmcx buds...

6 Core Pink Copper Cable 2.5/3.5/4.4mm Balanced

I think my 4 core black ones are silver plated.

Nov 10, 2019 at 8:08 PM Post #45,793 of 75,317

From my experience, copper tends to add some warmth, whereas SPC will improve on clarity, detail and treble. In terms of synergy, if your earbud is neutral/bright you should pair it with a copper cable, and SPC pairs well with a warm/dark signature.

Nov 10, 2019 at 8:15 PM Post #45,794 of 75,317
Just pre-ordered the Rose Maria, the 11.11 discount is too great to pass. Now just hope it won't take a month to arrive.

Nov 11, 2019 at 3:52 AM Post #45,795 of 75,317
Just pre-ordered the Rose Maria, the 11.11 discount is too great to pass. Now just hope it won't take a month to arrive.
Where did you pre order it from?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back