Earbuds Round-Up
Sep 6, 2019 at 12:28 PM Post #44,536 of 75,282
Well, I pulled the trigger on some earbuds. Half a dozen, actually.
  • HE 150PRO
  • RY GM500
  • RY RY4S HI-Cable
  • Toneking TP16
  • TY Hi-Z 150S
  • the something-something BK2
Which ones should I be most excited about? Any that are horrific mistakes?[/QUOTE]

YES. You started down the rabbit hole. Sorry about your wallet.

Sep 6, 2019 at 12:41 PM Post #44,537 of 75,282
It's okay, @groucho69 I've already found the bottom of a couple of other rabbit holes. My wallet was starting to look smug, anyway.

Sep 6, 2019 at 12:52 PM Post #44,538 of 75,282
It's okay, @groucho69 I've already found the bottom of a couple of other rabbit holes. My wallet was starting to look smug, anyway.

I just looked at your profile and saw the rabbit holes... I have not been quite that deep.

Sep 6, 2019 at 1:45 PM Post #44,540 of 75,282
Comparing your profile, I'm not so sure about that :)

I am sure I have spent far less. I have a lot of buds and iems that are less than $10 each.

Mostly I was thinking about how I have never bought anything as costly as an Audeze.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2019 at 3:12 PM Post #44,541 of 75,282
There are three different drivers used in that listing. The one you got is the PK2 driver. The 16 ohm one is the SR2 driver. The 150 ohm is something else. All will sound different and to be honest, I think all will sound good. We have the ones with the SR2 drivers and love them.. but they do need a lot of burn in.

That is a good store... it is where my husband @HungryPanda buys a lot of his supplies for making his own buds (which are excellent... but just a hobby for us... not for sale). He has made buds for us using the 32 ohm PK drivers from that store and they are excellent. He has also used the 150ohm drivers and those buds turned out well also.

I think you will be happy,.... but I foresee others in your future as well:)

Not a knock off or fake. DIY means that he made them himself.. or had someone do it. It is his creation... so not meant to be a fake of anything. He uses good drivers and tunes them to sound good to him... and hopefully to his customers.

Hey I just wanted to say thanks for the background. I've been using them and they're great.

Take care!

Sep 6, 2019 at 9:15 PM Post #44,542 of 75,282
After researching, I've narrowed my choices down to 2 options. Smabat ST-10, and NICEHCK EBX. Smabat is easier to source, and I prefer simplicity. Which of these two buds would you choose for hard rock and hair metal? Looking for people who have owned / heard both.

Sep 6, 2019 at 9:20 PM Post #44,543 of 75,282
After researching, I've narrowed my choices down to 2 options. Smabat ST-10, and NICEHCK EBX. Smabat is easier to source, and I prefer simplicity. Which of these two buds would you choose for hard rock and hair metal? Looking for people who have owned / heard both.

I was in a similar dilemma. I ordered both a while back.

EBX was a little to forward sounding for me. After long 4-6 hour sessions I'd have some fatigue.

I kept and still use the ST-10 often. I just EQ -2/3 db at 31, 62 & 125 hz to balance the sub/bass out. Only as I listen for long sessions and bass being heavy also leads to fatigue.

Sep 6, 2019 at 9:23 PM Post #44,544 of 75,282
It's time for me to say this again: the Yincrow RW9's are pretty darned good.

Sep 6, 2019 at 9:43 PM Post #44,546 of 75,282
I was in a similar dilemma. I ordered both a while back.

EBX was a little to forward sounding for me. After long 4-6 hour sessions I'd have some fatigue.

I kept and still use the ST-10 often. I just EQ -2/3 db at 31, 62 & 125 hz to balance the sub/bass out. Only as I listen for long sessions and bass being heavy also leads to fatigue.
Okay. Is there any 3rd recommendation you would like to propose with mmcx cable for my genres? If not, I'm going to roll the dice with the ST-10.

Sep 6, 2019 at 10:24 PM Post #44,547 of 75,282
Okay. Is there any 3rd recommendation you would like to propose with mmcx cable for my genres? If not, I'm going to roll the dice with the ST-10.

Not that I can think of that I've owned. I had the PT25 but it's nowhere near as good as the ST-10. The ACG is good but lacks sub-bass for most, due to the large open design which does not seal well. If pressed against my ears it has as much bass as most others.

I do have the PT15 & BK2 on order from this last sale (that you just missed :frowning2: ). Can't comment on them yet, as they are incoming still.

Sep 7, 2019 at 2:42 AM Post #44,548 of 75,282
Thank you for your answer. So the questions are left for Super Nightingale (harshness, comparison vs Shozy BK)...
No one here knows the Moonbuds Super Nightingale (found only one - very positive - review) ?

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2019 at 4:14 AM Post #44,549 of 75,282
P ou ç?n

No one here knows the Moonbuds Super Nightingale (found only one - very positive - review) ?

I know of it from earbuds anonymous on Facebook, but the price was too steep for a relatively unknown maker for me to buy.

I would be more inclined to get the new blur zero considering the following blur already has in the world of diy earbuds makers, but it always feels like a risk with these guys, so I always end up spending an amount I wouldn't mind gambling away.

Good luck finding your PK Holy Grail, have you gotten your Pureson earbud yet? Mine is ready to ship I heard, can't wait to get my first PK bud!

Sep 7, 2019 at 5:01 AM Post #44,550 of 75,282
Received my NICEHCK Luckybag... B40 w/ Mic. Nicely built, I like the cable; very nice sounding; excellent mic, strong clarity. Smaller PK shell type.

NICEHCK B40 Specs.jpg
NICEHCK B40.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back