Earbuds Round-Up
Sep 7, 2019 at 8:13 AM Post #44,552 of 75,405
I know of it from earbuds anonymous on Facebook, but the price was too steep for a relatively unknown maker for me to buy.

I would be more inclined to get the new blur zero considering the following blur already has in the world of diy earbuds makers, but it always feels like a risk with these guys, so I always end up spending an amount I wouldn't mind gambling away.

Good luck finding your PK Holy Grail, have you gotten your Pureson earbud yet? Mine is ready to ship I heard, can't wait to get my first PK bud!
I agree fully with you : the high price prevents me to be tempted to buy based on only one review...

For Blur zero, besides the fact that I don't like the color combination (would have preferred black shell with blue cable, or white shell with clear cable), they aren't any reviews either. I could not even find the price...

Regarding the Pureson earbuds, they should ship in the next days :) But I have to be patient (once shipped, 10-20 days expected before delivery...).
I will post some pics and a quick report once burned in.

Sep 7, 2019 at 9:03 AM Post #44,553 of 75,405
Just received the NICEHCK B40 and Ollivan MS16. The MS16 is bell shaped and well over 16mm in diameter. Definitely not a good fit for my ears. The B40 are also 16mm in diameter, so it's larger than the RY4S and Edifier H180 / SHE3800. I wonder why they put 14.8mm on the package?

edit: Or maybe I'm wrong, I have to measure the other ones again :p

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2019 at 9:05 AM Post #44,554 of 75,405
Just received the NICEHCK B40 and Ollivan MS16. The MS16 is bell shaped and well over 16mm in diameter. Definitely not a good fit for my ears. The B40 are also 16mm in diameter. I wonder why they put 14.8mm on the package?

that is the driver size

Sep 7, 2019 at 9:13 AM Post #44,555 of 75,405
After researching, I've narrowed my choices down to 2 options. Smabat ST-10, and NICEHCK EBX. Smabat is easier to source, and I prefer simplicity. Which of these two buds would you choose for hard rock and hair metal? Looking for people who have owned / heard both.

I was in a similar dilemma. I ordered both a while back.

EBX was a little to forward sounding for me. After long 4-6 hour sessions I'd have some fatigue.

I kept and still use the ST-10 often. I just EQ -2/3 db at 31, 62 & 125 hz to balance the sub/bass out. Only as I listen for long sessions and bass being heavy also leads to fatigue.

Not that I can think of that I've owned. I had the PT25 but it's nowhere near as good as the ST-10. The ACG is good but lacks sub-bass for most, due to the large open design which does not seal well. If pressed against my ears it has as much bass as most others.

I do have the PT15 & BK2 on order from this last sale (that you just missed :frowning2: ). Can't comment on them yet, as they are incoming still.

I've got these MMCX Earbuds, that I enjoy listening to (but my music preferences are not as hard as yours - mainly Celtic Prog-Rock, Renaissance Fair musicians, Big Band, Jazz, ...) -
(Listed by sound preference)
Smabat ST-10 (These just sound the most right to me.)
NiceHCK EBX (These may have a bit more of the lowest Bass, than the ST-10, but aren't as comfortable.)
PT15 (These are actually the most comfortable in my ears, when worn with cable over-the-ear.)
Svara-L (32Ω) (Nearly as good as the ST-10.)

Sep 7, 2019 at 9:21 AM Post #44,556 of 75,405
I agree fully with you : the high price prevents me to be tempted to buy based on only one review...

For Blur zero, besides the fact that I don't like the color combination (would have preferred black shell with blue cable, or white shell with clear cable), they aren't any reviews either. I could not even find the price...

Regarding the Pureson earbuds, they should ship in the next days :) But I have to be patient (once shipped, 10-20 days expected before delivery...).
I will post some pics and a quick report once burned in.

Yeah, no reviews or price for the zero but if you have ever talked to Wong before you probably can know everything you need to know about it. If I had to guess the price is between 150-200$ with an ultra natural sound signature with not much bass. I haven't talked to him about this one in particular but that tends to be the blur signature and price.

I guess Pureson will ship our packages at the same time. I have some pre pictures of the finished product already, and since there was delays with extra requests near the end he told me that he started burning them in already. The pictures look beautiful, I hope they get here fast since I live in a country not too far away and our postal service here is insanely fast (Amazon prime shipping doesn't make sense here).

Sep 7, 2019 at 10:36 AM Post #44,557 of 75,405
Yeah, no reviews or price for the zero but if you have ever talked to Wong before you probably can know everything you need to know about it. If I had to guess the price is between 150-200$ with an ultra natural sound signature with not much bass. I haven't talked to him about this one in particular but that tends to be the blur signature and price.

I guess Pureson will ship our packages at the same time. I have some pre pictures of the finished product already, and since there was delays with extra requests near the end he told me that he started burning them in already. The pictures look beautiful, I hope they get here fast since I live in a country not too far away and our postal service here is insanely fast (Amazon prime shipping doesn't make sense here).
I could ask Wong indeed, thanks for the tip :)

Regarding Pureson, I got nice pictures too, but to France it should take longer...
Did you also order Agares earbuds ?

Sep 7, 2019 at 11:44 AM Post #44,558 of 75,405

Regarding Pureson, I got nice pictures too, but to France it should take longer...

Sep 7, 2019 at 11:57 AM Post #44,559 of 75,405
How good?

So good that @MisterMudd just bought a pair!

Seriously, it's hard for me to quantify, but when I first got them I enjoyed them so much that I listened to them elusively for a few months. Now, whenever I throw them in, I remember why. Good amount of bass, great mids, lively, dynamic and fun. It's suffice to say they are entrenched in my favorites list.

I forget.. how much did I pay you to say that? :wink:

Sep 7, 2019 at 1:34 PM Post #44,560 of 75,405
I forget.. how much did I pay you to say that? :wink:

Well, the ST-10 is an evolution of the Svara-L.
The shell size and shape is basically the same.
It definitely has more, and better, Bass than the Svara-L - but the Midrange & Treble of the Svara-L is similar.

"I can neither confirm, nor deny, the existence of a paid endorsement... " :wink: :ksc75smile:

Sep 7, 2019 at 10:14 PM Post #44,561 of 75,405
I've got these MMCX Earbuds, that I enjoy listening to (but my music preferences are not as hard as yours - mainly Celtic Prog-Rock, Renaissance Fair musicians, Big Band, Jazz, ...) -
(Listed by sound preference)
Smabat ST-10 (These just sound the most right to me.)
NiceHCK EBX (These may have a bit more of the lowest Bass, than the ST-10, but aren't as comfortable.)
PT15 (These are actually the most comfortable in my ears, when worn with cable over-the-ear.)
Thank you for the response. Much appreciated

Sep 8, 2019 at 12:54 AM Post #44,562 of 75,405

Yes, I got the Agares 150 ohm version with a balanced 2.5 cable. The cable configuration is half and half spc/copper. I plan to run it with the es100.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2019 at 2:43 AM Post #44,563 of 75,405
Yes, I got the Agares 150 ohm version with a balanced 2.5 cable. The cable configuration is half and half spc/copper. I plan to run it with the es100.
For me it will be Agares 150 ohm mmcx with two 8-core hybrid cables, one 2,5 balanced and one 3,5 SE.
Fine, so there will be two reports about the Agares model :)

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2019 at 9:16 AM Post #44,564 of 75,405
Alright then. I think I've narrowed my search down to 3, maybe 4. I don't forsee any major fitment issues, considering some of the comments written above.
Rose Masya Pro
Bit more than I want to spend. Seems to be the more technical, analytical bud of the group.
Ourart ACG
Sounds like the mids master of the group, and that's kinda what I'm after. Unfortunately, they may be a bit too bass shy for my tastes.
Toneking to400s
Not a lot of info or reviews, but perhaps the most neutral of the bunch? Not sure just how hard they are to drive. Don't know if my V40 and Opus#1s will push them to their full potential.
Smabat ST-10
Likely will roll the dice with these, unless someone wants to take a stab at convincing me otherwise. These have the most readily available information and reviews, and all reviews are positive towards sound quality. Only concern is the mids.
Anybody care to comment which of these buds they would choose for rock and metal, and why?

Sory for the late reply. The Rose Masya Pro is actually the Rose Masya Mk2. Don't know where the word pro comes from. On the box it's clearly MK2 and Penon have just updated the figures for impedance, sensitivity and F Response. They are exceptionally easy to drive and thus sound loud. It's my only earbud so I cannot compare to others, although I intend to get the Hifiboy Dream unless anybody recommends against. In comparison to an IEM, the Rose has less clarity than the TFZ No3 transparent, but in general a much fuller more impactful sound. Bass is strong on the Masya. Separate instruments are slightly easier to identify on the TFZ No3 but in comparison it sounds thinner but clearer. For my personal taste I prefer the sound of the Rose Masya Mk 2 although the TFZ No 3 is my favourite IEM. Although the Masya is nicely finished, because it is varnished it is easy to mark. The Masya would not suit wearing on the go at all. It is a home HiFi earbud. It's my preference at the moment as the sound is very organic compared to my IEMs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back