Earbuds Round-Up
Jul 10, 2019 at 7:40 AM Post #43,546 of 75,148
Just got the Smabat...I think I got a first edition since the MMCX connector part didn't have any white trim in it. The box was slightly banged up to. For longevity is it worth spending a few more and returning it to order from someone else for an upgraded version?

KIMG1854.JPG

Initial impressions are that it sounds SUPER clean. It has some really nice texture to vocals, and I see the comparisions to the ER4 series now. It's that extra layer like breathing in subtley, guitar stings sliding, that adds so much to the realism.

It is slightly less detailed than I was hoping, and the separation isn't as good as I was hoping, but I think that will improved as it burns in (brain burns in too), as I am noticing it getting better as I listen now.
Nevermind, great separation and details are coming alive now.

The best thing about them is the comfort though. Over ears with earbuds is amazing! No tugging down on my ear, just floating securely in my ear hole.

Edit. I added a photo of the mmcx when I unwrapped it, and even though I didn't see a white thing, I see it on the photo.

I paired it off the es100 with ldac instead of directly on the shanling m0 and it seems to sound even better.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2019 at 11:38 AM Post #43,547 of 75,148
Last night, I pulled out my VE Zen 2.0 ZOE w/Pure Blue (Silver) Balanced cable (2.5mm TRRS), to see how they sound with my new Topping D70 DAC (Dual AK4497EQ) connected to my iBasso PB2 Amp (2x Sparkos SS3306 Discrete Op-Amps; 4x BUF634P Mono Buffers w/Class A Bias Resistor) - listening to TV and music streamed from my Roku4 & PC.
I had been using the ZOE with the VE rubber rings, but they're just not as comfortable as foams.
So, I've switched over to some Donut Foams.
The combination sounds really good, without being too warm.

Jul 10, 2019 at 3:01 PM Post #43,548 of 75,148
I have all those but I would put the SR2 16ohm above them.
For me

Kube v1=SR2>RY4S UE>EMX500

And yes these are one of the rare buds that seem to improve notably with burn in or general use. Out of box they are midcentric and lack clarity, but seem to clear up and gain some low end after just a few hours of use. Good tonality, good all rounder just doesn't have a lot of soundstage.

Kube V1 just has a lovely smooth and balanced sound, and importantly has good extension on both ends. Nice for relaxing listening. Responds well to mods and foam changes. Very nice natural soundstage (good balance of depth, width and height).

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2019 at 3:09 PM Post #43,549 of 75,148
SR2 16ohm requires 50-100 hours of burn-in to get enough bass.:triportsad:
Honestly I found mine improved after just 5-10 hours, compared to stock which is muddy and midcentric. These buds really transform with burn in, while most others have much less change if any at all.

I found that the penon bs1 official has some change during burn in too. With slightly more bass and less harsness around 4-6khz.

But much less than SR2's improved bass and highs.

Jul 10, 2019 at 3:12 PM Post #43,550 of 75,148
No. Maybe some of the different cables make a difference but not the shell color. I think if you buy one now you can only get the smoke color from VE. I have seen smoke, black, purple and coffee on ebay.

I enjoy color so sometimes I buy different colors just for fun.
The smoke shell is better quality than most mx500 shells, but this may be true of all monks variations. The plastic feels more durable. Like they used a higher grade plastic than your average cheapo mx500 shell.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2019 at 3:17 PM Post #43,551 of 75,148
For me

Kube v1=SR2>RY4S UE>EMX500

And yes these are one of the rare buds that seem to improve notably with burn in or general use. Out of box they are midcentric and lack clarity, but seem to clear up and gain some low end after just a few hours of use. Good tonality, good all rounder just doesn't have a lot of soundstage.
How long have you used them for? I found the biggest improvements came in the first 50 hours (especially the soundstage) with more gradual changes in the next 50.
Kube V1 just has a lovely smooth and balanced sound, and importantly has good extension on both ends. Nice for relaxing listening. Responds well to mods and foam changes. Very nice natural soundstage (good balance of depth, width and height).
I find the Fengru Silver similar to the Kube in signature and space but with better clarity and finesse, especially in the mids.

Jul 10, 2019 at 3:41 PM Post #43,552 of 75,148
How long have you used them for? I found the biggest improvements came in the first 50 hours (especially the soundstage) with more gradual changes in the next 50.

I find the Fengru Silver similar to the Kube in signature and space but with better clarity and finesse, especially in the mids.
Let me correct because I had forgotton I did burn them in for up to 10 hours I think. But I found notable improvements after that short burn in, with possible gradual changes after more listening time. But it's difficult to judge any changes when you listen constantly as your brain just adjusts to the sound.

I'm just surprised they sound so mediocre out of the box yet are a very good earbud if given some use.

As for the kubes, i do think the midrange tonality is slightly off with stock tuning, I've tried a few things like adding extra venting/bass port and/or reducing the dampening, I do think they sound better when the dampening is decreased, but you need to use thin foams to compensate for the extra warmth and low end. So you lose some of that deep bass provided by the thicker foam but gain more detail and better tonality in the mids by less dampening. So it's a personal preference thing.

I'd be very interested to see GREQ try the kube drivers in various shells like he did the vido. As I think the kube driver has good potential to work with.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2019 at 3:48 PM Post #43,553 of 75,148
Let me correct because I had forgotton I did burn them in for up to 10 hours I think. But I found notable improvements after that short burn in, with possible gradual changes after more listening time. But it's difficult to judge any changes when you listen constantly as your brain just adjusts to the sound.

I'm just surprised they sound so mediocre out of the box yet are a very good earbud if given some use.
I felt the same as you when I first got them, but I'd read that they needed 100+ hours' burn-in (including from the seller) so I ran them in parallel to other buds I was using and checked on them periodically so I noticed the changes over time.

Jul 10, 2019 at 4:24 PM Post #43,554 of 75,148
for me Kube V1 sounds like a brighter emx500

Jul 10, 2019 at 4:46 PM Post #43,555 of 75,148
The smoke shell is better quality than most mx500 shells, but this may be true of all monks variations. The plastic feels more durable. Like they used a higher grade plastic than your average cheapo mx500 shell.

I have noticed that is true of all my Monk colors. Some others sometimes feel flimsy.

I'd be very interested to see GREQ try the kube drivers in various shells like he did the vido. As I think the kube driver has good potential to work with.

I was told by the seller to be extremely careful opening the Kube... that it is easy to damage the driver.

I had mentioned to him that we might put some pretty cables on our white Kubes. So, he wanted to warn me.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2019 at 6:53 PM Post #43,557 of 75,148
New batch arrived:

T02m7Lq.jpg

FAAEAL FAREAL Original Batch, ANN100, Zeva SuperFire (awesome mids)

Extra: KSC75 (Part Express Headband + Yaxi Pads), Porta Pro (Yaxi Pads).

Also I got my second BDE (spare). Everything awesome. ANN100 and Zeva are a must have!

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2019 at 6:55 PM Post #43,558 of 75,148
I was told by the seller to be extremely careful opening the Kube... that it is easy to damage the driver.

I had mentioned to him that we might put some pretty cables on our white Kubes. So, he wanted to warn me.
Kube V1 has a very tight glue, shell could be broken if carelessly forcing to the drivers.

Jul 10, 2019 at 8:24 PM Post #43,559 of 75,148
@ClieOS are there any earbuds that have the form factor of Apple's Ear/AirPods but a nice cable like that of the Shiro Yuki? Also, is the Shiro cable/sound actually good IRL?

Not exactly like the cable on Shiro-Yuki, but a good cable nonetheless - Yincrow RW-100.

Consider the price, both mentioned above are very solid choice with very good price/performance ratio.

Jul 10, 2019 at 11:53 PM Post #43,560 of 75,148
New batch arrived:

T02m7Lq.jpg

FAAEAL FAREAL Original Batch, ANN100, Zeva SuperFire (awesome mids)

Extra: KSC75 (Part Express Headband + Yaxi Pads), Porta Pro (Yaxi Pads).

Also I got my second BDE (spare). Everything awesome. ANN100 and Zeva are a must have!
how does ANN100 compare to Superfire?

I really like the Superfire but I got a lemon unit with loose cable and audio cutting off on me whenever I am moving around.

I will never buy a Zeva again. When I bought it the warranty didn't say I need to keep everything in order to claim. Now the brand owner says different thing. Haihz

Users who are viewing this thread

Back