Earbuds Round-Up
Apr 21, 2016 at 5:57 AM Post #4,111 of 75,625
  Quick question:

How do you guys burn in your earbud?

Like that?

lol, I believe more in "brain in" over "burn in", is a bit controversial, but it's free so who cares...

http://www.meier-audio.homepage.t-online.de/tipstricks.htm

A headphone straight out of the box often may sound light at the bass and slightly aggressive or diffuse. The electromechanical properties of the drivers haven't settled down yet. It is strongly recommended to run the headphones for 24..48 hours with some continuous bass-heavy music before you start listening. First have the music run for a few hours at a low sound level. Next a few hours at medium level and after this the headphones can be run at a high level for the rest of the break-in.

Break-in improves the mechanical properties of the suspension of the drivers and also "tightens" the windings of the coil. With some headphones the difference is day and night

Also, some folks use pink noise, I just listen my music usually.

Apr 21, 2016 at 6:56 AM Post #4,113 of 75,625
For my taste: be5>be7>be3>m2c
wink.gif

Although, technically, be7> be5, and m2c> be3
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes, almost exactly same with me. I prefer the BE5 slightly better. They are really good and don't get talked about a lot here. Very different feel than the new type of earbuds discussed here, more distant, natural, sound. 

I am thinking of recabling my Blox to put some removable cables since their normal cables aren't that great and the weak point. I just can't find good 2 pin female connectors or shure female connectors to install in the buds. 

Apr 21, 2016 at 10:42 AM Post #4,115 of 75,625

So here they come! Sabia Earbuds. 
Indonesian made earbuds priced at $ 10. (approximately) 

short impression : 

very clear they are aimed at monk's market share. Sabia has neutral sounding sound signature. neutral to warm sound. i like how they presented the mids, sounds so pleasant. the lows not as punchy and deep as monk but still adequate, feels a bit bloated though for me. they have nice wide soundstage. overall i like them more compared to monk. the monk sounds slightly more refined though, as i feel Sabia sounds is ever so slightly grainy. 

Apr 21, 2016 at 12:35 PM Post #4,119 of 75,625
Thanks for the info mates!

I used to do pink noise and sine sweeps but I had a feeling all the sine sweeps would make the headphones sound "flat" so now I just play my music a bit quieter than usual on loop when not listenin :)

I am only waiting for the Zen 2.0 to get here before I declare the Mojito the best sounding earbud I've ever heard. Crushes the Cygnus in every manner. As the cygnus was my last #1 earbud, it's been dethroned to #2 position.

Will update my list when Zen 2.0 gets here but for now Mojito is preferable to everything except my ASG 2.5 at the moment..... like it's REALLY REALLY good.

Mojito & skateboard

I've gotten more used to the Mojito's brightness I think, I'm more okay with it now than when it first showed up, maybe it's just a bit of necessary burning in. No noticable difference in sound between the cables, I think, at least not glaringly obvious difference. My only actual complaint is there's the tiniest gap between the colored plated on the outside that say "Rose" and the metal ring they attach to, and it's possible for a hair or 2 to get caught in there if you have long hair. So whoever designed the Mojito must have short hair :D

Apr 21, 2016 at 3:08 PM Post #4,123 of 75,625
Zen 2.0 and monk plus just arrived
biggrin.gif

I bought the day before they started selling expansion pack - haha
give me a few hours to listen and i'll post Zen 2.0 vs Mojito thoughts :)

Apr 21, 2016 at 6:17 PM Post #4,124 of 75,625
Does anyone know anywhere that sells good 2 pin custom IEM female and male heads? I am looking into recabling some of my earbuds and if I'm going to open them up and recable I might as well make them removable to make sure they last a long time. 

I haven't been able to find many places that sell good quality 2 pin male and female heads, or even Shure style pins, I don't really mind. Thanks in advance. 

Apr 21, 2016 at 7:00 PM Post #4,125 of 75,625

Does anyone know anywhere that sells good 2 pin custom IEM female and male heads? I am looking into recabling some of my earbuds and if I'm going to open them up and recable I might as well make them removable to make sure they last a long time. 

I haven't been able to find many places that sell good quality 2 pin male and female heads, or even Shure style pins, I don't really mind. Thanks in advance. 

You mean just the 2 pin connectors themselves? you can get those any big electronics distributor :)

I've done some more Zen vs Mojito listening and wanted to offer my thoughts on the champions (I know ClieOS championed the Zen v1, not the Zen v2, but it's what I have)

Zen 2.0 is a warm, bassy, relaxed sound signature but still very detailed and thorough. Mojito is like STAX Electrostatics in an earbud.
Zen 2.0 is a bassier sound but I dare say the Mojito has better bass extension and reach, whereas Zen has a more bass heavy overall sound.
Also like electrostatics and Etymotics, Mojito is a very fast sound. incredibly detailed with any style of track. No detail is lost at all. Very balanced, neutral, unbiased sound.
Zen 2.0 is better & easier for longer term listening. Comfort & fit is part of this - Mojito is not the easiest to fit earbud out there.
Mojito wins hands down on detailing, imaging, soundstage, and clarity.
Zen 2.0 sounds like a warmer, more balanced Asura 2.0 - also has a smoother sound than the Mojito. Detail is definitely improved with donut foams for Zen.
Mojito can be a bit bright at times with impressive treble reach, but is not sibilant at all, also like electrostatics/Etys.

To be honest if I had to pick one of the two I'd pick the Mojito, despite how it can be brighter and not up front bassier than the Mojito.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back