Earbuds Round-Up
Apr 19, 2016 at 7:06 PM Post #4,081 of 75,551

I have been switching between the Shozy Cygnus and Monk Plus for the last week. So far the Shozy Cygnus is sounding really good, especially paired with the Shozy Alien Gold DAP. I am still taken aback by how close the Monk comes despite being 5% of the price of the Shozy. Prime difference so far, the Monk's soundstage is like having a row of musicians in front of you, the Shozy's is like have a semi-circle of musicians in front of you.

I don't know about the monk+ but I have the monk, Zen 2, and Asura 2 and I can confidently say that the Cygnus has much more clarity than the Monk and even the Zen 2, so I definitely wouldn't say they are close in the treble and mids, but I agree that it's really surprising for me that the bass texture and resolution on the $5 Monk is almost as good as the Cygnus. If the Monk+ is insanely good in mids and clarity of highs, maybe that is something else. It might be a game changer. I would still take the Cygnus over the Monk 1.0 any day. 

I am going to write a massive list similar to ClieOS's list soon because I have a lot of earbuds now in my collection and more incoming in the mail (Monk+ etc). 

Apr 19, 2016 at 11:37 PM Post #4,083 of 75,551
Heck, there's also the Fidue Balanced cable that's around $60 or so. I think it naturally terminates in 2.5mm and has a 3.5mm adapter. Little tempted to pick that up for my HM700, and a new toy might justify the purchase.

Mind I ask do you use your HM700 with an amp?
If so, how do you use it? As far my HM700, there is only a HO and no LO, so I am somewhat reluctant to pair it with an amp as that would be double amping (which I assume is bad).

Thank-you 

Apr 20, 2016 at 12:11 AM Post #4,084 of 75,551
@AudioNewbi3 I've always listened straight from the HM700.  I know I can get better sound with my X5/Mojo combo, but I like the pairing with the HM700 well enough.  I haven't looked into what it'd take to add an amp to the chain and keep the balanced signal going, most likely involving a specialty cable, and most certainly an expensive amp.  Never particularly liked how they go from balanced to single ended on the HM700, felt too clunky.

Also, while opinions vary, double amping isn't nearly as bad as it used to be as equipment has improved.  The main two issues I can think of off the top of my head is that you're adding another level of coloration to the sound, and you increase the possibility of audible noise when using the setup.  I'm sure there are other issues, but  I really don't find it anything to worry about.  I double amp with my Sansa Clip Zip/+, xDuoo X2, Fiio M3, & Kogan.  All of which sound lovely with a nice amp like the RSA Shadow.

Apr 20, 2016 at 12:13 AM Post #4,085 of 75,551
  @AudioNewbi3 I've always listened straight from the HM700.  I know I can get better sound with my X5/Mojo combo, but I like the pairing with the HM700 well enough.  I haven't looked into what it'd take to add an amp to the chain and keep the balanced signal going, most likely involving a specialty cable, and most certainly an expensive amp.  Never particularly liked how they go from balanced to single ended on the HM700, felt too clunky.

For me Mojo is heaven :)

Apr 20, 2016 at 12:21 AM Post #4,086 of 75,551

Do you ever add an amp to the chain?  I know for the most part, popular opinion is about 90% of what you're buying with the Mojo is the DAC which is phenomenal, and the amp is solid too.  I don't really own anything that needs more power than the Mojo provides, but sometimes want to try out a decent tube amp.

Apr 20, 2016 at 12:28 AM Post #4,087 of 75,551

Do you ever add an amp to the chain?  I know for the most part, popular opinion is about 90% of what you're buying with the Mojo is the DAC which is phenomenal, and the amp is solid too.  I don't really own anything that needs more power than the Mojo provides, but sometimes want to try out a decent tube amp.

On paper Mojo can handle up to 600 Ohms.
I don't use any other amp, even i don't own any, i have only 1 Hifi product, i.e. the Mojo.
I like the musicality or Mojo, i can use Darkhorse 400 Ohms earbud to Cygnus only 16 Ohms, No issues till now.

Pure Bliss :)

Apr 20, 2016 at 12:40 AM Post #4,088 of 75,551
On paper Mojo can handle up to 600 Ohms.
I don't use any other amp, even i don't own any, i have only 1 Hifi product, i.e. the Mojo.
I like the musicality or Mojo, i can use Darkhorse 400 Ohms earbud to Cygnus only 16 Ohms, No issues till now.

Pure Bliss :)

Mojo is amazing, only compare to my best dac+tube amp combos, minus tube noise.

I miss cayin c5 but too powerful for most of the volume knob to be usable. Amazing sound though

Currently using mojo or e5 into project starlight and love it. May go all mojo though. It's good enough. The e5 is fun but the headphone amp is lacking in juice. Mojo has plenty for any headphone... the bass paper test with jvc sz2000 is proof. E5 could not even move the paper but is still good enough for earbuds

Mojo built in amp could be better but is damn good and fully capable.

Apr 20, 2016 at 5:12 AM Post #4,089 of 75,551

Also, while opinions vary, double amping isn't nearly as bad as it used to be as equipment has improved.  The main two issues I can think of off the top of my head is that you're adding another level of coloration to the sound, and you increase the possibility of audible noise when using the setup.  I'm sure there are other issues, but  I really don't find it anything to worry about.  I double amp with my Sansa Clip Zip/+, xDuoo X2, Fiio M3, & Kogan.  All of which sound lovely with a nice amp like the RSA Shadow.

Thanks for the reply mate!

The reason I was asking was because I own the Hifiman HM700S (Single ended version).

My main concern with double amping is that the HM700S is very very very prone to hiss. I can basically detect it when noting is playing......and the fact that you get a loud pop on power on and power off..........

Man why did I took my chance at the Hifiman Lottery (LOL)

Apr 20, 2016 at 5:27 AM Post #4,090 of 75,551

And now it's what you got from ELi-bud Sabia. Earbud project from ELi (earbud lovers indonesia) group. A complete and serious packaging for a $10 earbud.
And what about the sounds? Out of the box it sounds incredible. Really!
Sparkling treble, delicate vocal but not too forward, and the most exciting is the low quality. Very good bass control with superb impact.
Good clarity, and luxury staging with 3D imaging. The width and depth sound perfect. Detail is superb with good separation. Maybe, if they could make vocal thicker and sweeter, it would climb to asura level. But hey, for its price the performance is already outstanding.
Worth every penny and best bud under $25 that i've ever heard so far #IMHO

Apr 20, 2016 at 5:40 AM Post #4,091 of 75,551
  Thanks for the reply mate!

The reason I was asking was because I own the Hifiman HM700S (Single ended version).

My main concern with double amping is that the HM700S is very very very prone to hiss. I can basically detect it when noting is playing......and the fact that you get a loud pop on power on and power off..........

Man why did I took my chance at the Hifiman Lottery (LOL)

Ok, went single ended with my RE600 to get a base line for the amount of hiss, and adding an RSA Shadow into the line, the hiss was gone.  At least I was unable to notice it.

Apr 20, 2016 at 6:13 AM Post #4,092 of 75,551

And now it's what you got from ELi-bud Sabia. Earbud project from ELi (earbud lovers indonesia) group. A complete and serious packaging for a $10 earbud.
And what about the sounds? Out of the box it sounds incredible. Really!
Sparkling treble, delicate vocal but not too forward, and the most exciting is the low quality. Very good bass control with superb impact.
Good clarity, and luxury staging with 3D imaging. The width and depth sound perfect. Detail is superb with good separation. Maybe, if they could make vocal thicker and sweeter, it would climb to asura level. But hey, for its price the performance is already outstanding.
Worth every penny and best bud under $25 that i've ever heard so far #IMHO

Wow! O.o glad I ordered a piece!

Ok, went single ended with my RE600 to get a base line for the amount of hiss, and adding an RSA Shadow into the line, the hiss was gone.  At least I was unable to notice it.

0.o! That is very surprising, I thought that by adding an amp to the chain, one would surely have amplified the hiss to more audible levels instead of eliminating it (audibly at least).

Thanks for taking the time to try it out. May I kindly know at what volume did you set your HM700 at prior to HO into the RSA? 100%?

Thank-you 

Apr 20, 2016 at 6:28 AM Post #4,093 of 75,551
@AudioNewbi3 Yep, 100% on HM700.  At first I wasn't thinking and kept the HM700 at normal volume and just raised the volume on the RSA until it was at a good listening level, which certainly resulted in a louder hiss.

Apr 20, 2016 at 7:47 AM Post #4,094 of 75,551
So I have been comparing the VE Zen 2.0 black edition (Cardas cable) to the Shozy Cygnus. Zen has easily over 150 hours burn in/usage and Cygnus has about 50 hours.

Using Fiio X7 fw 1.8 with AM2 module and running Viper4android and Poweramp.

They both sound really good to my ears. REALLY good. I´m using rubber rings and donut foam on Zen and the included donut on the Cygnus. To my ears, the Zen is more crisp and clean and has wider soundstage. Cygnus might have some edge on bass but for me it feels more due to fit. Cygnus shell is just so damn comfy and fit right away. I have to fiddle a bit with the Zen but if I get that lockfit, man oh man they just sing.

If I add the Oppo HA-2 to the mix to amp some I say the Zen moves out of reach even more. So many things is brought forward in the music with Zen 2.0 when you push it. I´d love to try them out with a Mojo or VE RA 2.0...

Apr 20, 2016 at 7:52 AM Post #4,095 of 75,551
  So I have been comparing the VE Zen 2.0 black edition (Cardas cable) to the Shozy Cygnus. Zen has easily over 150 hours burn in/usage and Cygnus has about 50 hours.

Using Fiio X7 fw 1.8 with AM2 module and running Viper4android and Poweramp.

They both sound really good to my ears. REALLY good. I´m using rubber rings and donut foam on Zen and the included donut on the Cygnus. To my ears, the Zen is more crisp and clean and has wider soundstage. Cygnus might have some edge on bass but for me it feels more due to fit. Cygnus shell is just so damn comfy and fit right away. I have to fiddle a bit with the Zen but if I get that lockfit, man oh man they just sing.

If I add the Oppo HA-2 to the mix to amp some I say the Zen moves out of reach even more. So many things is brought forward in the music with Zen 2.0 when you push it. I´d love to try them out with a Mojo or VE RA 2.0...

I still haven't tried the Zen 2, but the Cygnus is the only earbud I really listen to anymore. I have the Asura 2.0, but I prefer the Cygnus sound. I'll have to check out the Zen 2 after my Monk + arrive. Thanks for the comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back