Earbuds Round-Up
Nov 24, 2018 at 4:33 PM Post #37,862 of 75,265
Neutral sounding best earbuds? Anyone?
it really helps to let us know if you want a tonally neutral earbud or a frequency response that is most balanced-neutral.

Because many buds are below neutral point in bass and treble response or do not extend as much as neutral headphones or speakers will. But have excellent midrange neutrality.

Others have a more general neutrality with great extension and reletively neutral mids, thus overall being more accurate and neutral. These usually come in the TOTL price range though.

For instance as danneq recommended the Cypherus Zoomfred which is most likely capable of delivering an accurate bass and treble response as it is a high end earbud which others have noted for it's extension and accuracy. So coming from headphones those will sound vastly more neutral than most buds that will come off as midcentric and mid forward in comparison.

But if you want the most realistic and neutral midrange timbre a Blur earbud might be what you're looking for or the SW dragon 2 + also mentioned above as those have been praised for their mids and sounding realistic and accurate in that sense.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2018 at 4:46 PM Post #37,863 of 75,265
it really helps to let us know if you want a tonally neutral earbud or a frequency response that is most balanced-neutral.

Because many buds are below neutral point in bass and treble response or do not extend as much as neutral headphones or speakers will. But have excellent midrange neutrality.

Others have a more general neutrality with great extension and reletively neutral mids, thus overall being more accurate and neutral. These usually come in the TOTL price range though.

For instance as danneq recommended the Cypherus Zoomfred which is most likely capable of delivering an accurate bass and treble response as it is a high end earbud which others have noted for it's extension and accuracy. So coming from headphones those will sound vastly more neutral than most buds that will come off as midcentric and mid forward in comparison.

But if you want the most realistic and neutral midrange timbre a Blur earbud might be what you're looking for or the SW dragon 2 + also mentioned above as those have been praised for their mids and sounding realistic and accurate in that sense.

I think it's hard to find a "one size fits all" earbud even if you are looking for a neutral sound...

Nov 24, 2018 at 5:41 PM Post #37,864 of 75,265
I am actually looking at TOTL category.

some that i have tried and their "slightly tilted towards" signature
SWD2+ (neutral bright), Yinman 600 (neutral warm), Puresound PS100-500 or PS100-600 (neutral sub bass), Blox TM9 (neutral midbass)

Nov 24, 2018 at 5:42 PM Post #37,865 of 75,265
I am actually looking at TOTL category.

It may not be neutral, and it may not be TOTL, but all you need is the Svara L 32ohm. :imp:

(sorry - I like them - couldn't resist!l

Nov 24, 2018 at 7:22 PM Post #37,866 of 75,265
It may not be neutral, and it may not be TOTL, but all you need is the Svara L 32ohm. :imp:

(sorry - I like them - couldn't resist!l

That's what I've been using for part of today - listening to Postmodern Jukebox videos, and watching "Eureka" on Amazon Prime.
The other part was using the RYGMR RY4S (UE cable).

Nov 24, 2018 at 7:37 PM Post #37,867 of 75,265
I have been using recabled Sony MDR-E808+ earbuds today after irritating my left ear with goddam iems

Nov 24, 2018 at 8:47 PM Post #37,868 of 75,265
I have been using recabled Sony MDR-E808+ earbuds today after irritating my left ear with goddam iems

Not good! I wish I could do iems, but they are just to problematic for me (not to mention that they isolate too well and I would get yelled at a lot lol). Thank goodness for earbuds!

Nov 24, 2018 at 9:02 PM Post #37,869 of 75,265
Thank you everybody for your inputs and increasing more confusion.:ksc75smile:

So far being suggested by FM are:

Cypherus ZoomFred
Yinman 600
Puresound PS100-500 or PS100-600
Blox TM9

Which one has smaller shell?

Nov 24, 2018 at 9:17 PM Post #37,870 of 75,265
It's difficult to find perfectly neutral earbuds even in the TOTL category. Something neutralish might be Cypherus ZoomFred. It has got a slight focus on bass with very deep sub bass for an earbud. I would also say that Simphonio SWD2+ is tilting toward a neutral sound but with a slight focus on upper mids and highs. So even if Zoomfred and SWD2+ in some ways are neutralish they still sound different from each other.

Two of the most neutral TOTL earbuds I've heard are both diiscontinued: Sennheiser MX980/985 and Cypherus CAX Black edition. But those to ALSO had some differences where MX980/985 has got a bit more sparkle in the treble and not too deep sub bass while CAX Black has got that sort of "analogue" that Cypherus earbuds share - a warm and musical sound that still does not sacrifice detail.
How would you rate Blox TM9 and Yin with respect to neutrality?

Nov 24, 2018 at 9:19 PM Post #37,871 of 75,265

Cypherus ZoomFred
Yinman 600
Blox TM9

they all (except the yinman) have the same mx500 type shell. they all have the same diameter (if I'm not mistaken)

Nov 24, 2018 at 10:10 PM Post #37,872 of 75,265
Photo album of "Thai Earbud Fanclub Meeting No.1" that is full of eye candy ===> Link

Nov 24, 2018 at 10:30 PM Post #37,873 of 75,265

Cypherus ZoomFred
Yinman 600
Blox TM9

If you want a smaller shell the SW Dragon 2 plus is probably the way to go then. The rest mentioned use mx500 type shells which are standard-larger fitting for most.

But using mx500 shells with thin foams is pretty comfortable for my ears even though I like smaller sizes usually. Mx500 with thick foam is a bit more compressed for me...

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2018 at 11:28 PM Post #37,874 of 75,265
K's Bell-Ti pre-order batch had been sent to pre-order customers with apparently positive feedbacks. Its outer diameter of front cover is 16.1 mm, therefore it might be suitable for some people who love a smaller housing than a MX500 housing. More Pictures is here.

Nov 25, 2018 at 1:13 AM Post #37,875 of 75,265
So finally, the Yinman 600 and SW Dragon 2 Plus have small shell.

Any other TOTL earbud with small shell with neutral with a very slight lift in mid-bass without mid-range bleed?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back