1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Earbuds Round-Up

1. Fizban
    Thank you :)

2. groucho69
    How he got in my pajamas I'll never know.

3. DBaldock9
    Didn't even have to go to the store on Black Friday, to find just what I needed... :wink: :ksc75smile:
    (This PMJ video is definitely in my Top 5 favorites of theirs.)

4. waynes world
    Ha! That was somewhat awesome!

DBaldock9 likes this.
  5. subwoof3r
    Link ? the two I checked are still grayed.

6. subwoof3r
    Thanks, so definitely is seems that there is a huge hole difference of on the TM9 and YIN.
    I tried to block the bass port with some "patafix" and I hear "almost" no difference that without blocking it, so it proves the hole must be extremely tiny on the YIN. It seems there is slightly less bass emphasizing (but not by much), other freqs aren't affected and looks the same, but like you, I much prefer them stock.
    I will try this hole experimentation on my own EMX500 DIY project, as this looks quite interesting.

I prefer my YIN with ali foams that you recommended so much :) (well, like 80% of my other earbuds now, lol)

About the fuller mids, I need to spend more time with YIN, as I didn't in the past few days since I received them. But overall, it's still not a "wow effect" earbuds at first sight. They remember me the same feeling as when I listened to TM9 for the first time. Between TM9 and YIN, it is not night and day difference as they shares the same signature (soundstage too), but there is definitely improvements in mids (especially) and highs/treble. Bass remains almost the same to me but in slight favor of the YIN.
    I just need to have TM9 back to really see the difference, as I'm doing those compares just with my memory, which prolly will get even more erased in the upcoming weeks to remember properly my old TM9 for a fair compare).

Overall, this YIN is now a keeper. It has the real TOTL sound from an earbuds I was expecting. It is still a true allrounder, which is really appreciated. On the YIN, I still feel like I'm listening to headphones, it has a very addictiv sound.. :)

Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
    chinmie and golov17 like this.
  7. darmanastartes
    Received the QianYun Qian69 and Nicehck EB2 in the mail today after ordering them for 11/11, both ordered from Nicehck. Got the EB2 as a review sample, paid sale price for the Qian69. I'm liking the Qian69 a lot more than the EB2. I haven't had a lot of experience with earbuds since really getting into audio, with my only other earbud up to this point being the Monk Espresso. The Qian69 sounds huge, open, and very detailed, yet more tonally consistent than a lot of the IEMs I've used recently. The EB2 is less impressive. It seems to be really finicky as far as fit goes, with the sound quality and channel balance varying dramatically depending on minute adjustments, and sounds a little thin to me.

j4100 likes this.
  8. mbwilson111
    Are you using foams with it?

9. darmanastartes
    Yeah, they help but it's still not great. I'm wondering if I got a bad pair.

10. mbwilson111
    The shifting channels make it seem like they aren't stable in your ear. What if you put a donut over the full foam.

11. seanc6441
    I'm not surprised its a minor difference as it's just controlling airflow by the bass port.

However if the same logic is applied from speakers with bass ports I think the lenght and diameter of the port can effect the bass resonance (moving the peak slightly lower or higher in the bass region) and also any peak is usually followed by a slightly dip.

This may play into the tonal balance on the tm9, but could not have as profound an effect on the Yin especially if the port size is reduced.

Their must be a benefit to the bass port as a tube/cylinder over a simple opening like all the other vents. Other than it not effecting the back wave resonance in any way, it must help bass response differently than standard venting.

Or else sennheiser would not have added it at all. They obviously did their research and that's why the shell stuck around so long and became popular in chi fi buds.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
  12. ShabtabQ
    Any earbuds recommendation under 10 usd, already ordered RY4S, and EB2 and have Vido.

13. BrunoC
    You absolutely need the EMX500. Believe me. It' the budget king.

golov17 and seanc6441 like this.
  14. LazerBear
    Just bought the NiceHCK EB2 after checking a few reviews here on Head-Fi, Will get back with some impressions after they get here. Thanks!

15. seanc6441
    Yup I agree. The original EMX500 is still king. Especially with slight mods and foam tuning. It's got the most dynamic and refined tuning of all budget earbuds imo. Ry4s is pretty nice but a bit rougher around the edges and doesn't have as effortless soundstage expansion. I do love the potential of both though. I will mod them both :)

If emx500 had a touch more bumped up low-mid mid range it would be a perfect tuning. But as it is it's still pretty damn great.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2018