Earbuds Round-Up
Nov 6, 2018 at 8:41 PM Post #37,306 of 75,401
What??? "I think a nice successor to the monk sound is the docomo/pk buds,"???
The docomo/pk buds was made from 2006 or 2007, so it must be that "a nice successor to the docomo/pk buds sound is the monk".
And please tell me the link where did you purchase docomo buds.:ksc75smile:

By the way, have you connected the SR2 driver to the cable of Shozy Cygnus? And did you hear the bass of that buds?:smile_phones:
I meant a successor sound wise because it's better in my opinion but has similar attributes. I also meant in general the cygnus and certain diy pk2.

Although I realise the docomo has its own shell, so i should have clarified that!

Haven't got around to it yet, been too busy to work on diy stuff but soon :)

Nov 6, 2018 at 10:12 PM Post #37,307 of 75,401
I used to look for stuff and place it in my wishlist on my PC and then use the Aliexpress app on my tablet to make the purchase, delay payment and make the acutal payment on my PC. A bit bothersome but it did give me better prices (often I delayed payment when buying from NiceNHK for example so that they could adjust prices).
After Swedish customs went crazy in March and put import taxes on everything from outside the EU I do not bother...

Good tip!

My bet is they have done research to show people are more inclined to impulse buy or to buy more when it's on the mobile app as it's so convient to just whip out the phone and hit buy, as compared to browsing on a PC.

Yeah, that's all I need - more impulse purchasing! I mean, I impulse purchased a $30 mechanical keyboard the other day! (fortunately, I really like it).

Currently in Seattle coping with US midterm election stress by listening to my hardcore/metal playlist on the Penon BS1 Official (fed by the Cayin i5).

Your northern brothers and sisters (aka Canadians) are stressing right along with you lol!

Nov 7, 2018 at 2:57 AM Post #37,308 of 75,401
I finally received the earbuds of "Diy SR2 16ohms TPE-wire" in the link below.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/diy...ohms-32ohms-150ohms-TPE-wire/32801646835.html

Before, I purchased and liked "Diy SR2 PRO 16ohms Silver plated-wire" which uses the same driver, so I recommended this to everyone in this forum.
However, because I began to feel that the treble of this earbuds sounds too sharp and strong, I changed the connection to the copper wire cable of Shozy Cygnus. And it became a sound signature of V-Shaped which is sufficiently beautiful treble and strong bass, although this is Docomo/PK Shell type earbuds.
So I purchased the earbuds of "Diy SR2 16ohms TPE-wire" version which uses copper wire .
It is burned-in for only 20 hours yet (100 hours needed), but it has a similar sound signature.
I think this has the best V-Shaped sound among earbuds of 16ohms Docomo/PK Shell below 50usd.

I could purchase it at 12usd by negotiation to seller, I will recommend strongly this earbuds for 11/11.
As earPad I recommend you double Pads as to put the DounutsPad on the VE thin Pad.

Perhaps It is seemed that I am boy who cried wolf...:ksc75smile:

(Before, I'm very sorry to those who purchased the "Diy SR2 PRO 16ohms Silver plated-wire".
But they can make sound similar by changing to connect to the copper cable like fengru.
By the way, the driver of "Diy SR2 16ohms" Is 11.33usd in the link below.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/SUN...fever-headphone-unit-A8-style/1984665598.html)

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2018 at 7:15 AM Post #37,310 of 75,401
I'm not a firm believer of the burn-in process but do it anyway. I just left my Toneking T0200 buds playing music on a Sony Walkman for about 48 hours, maybe a bit more. Looks like the sound did change.
Initially, I decided to put doughnut foams as they seemed veiled but now I prefer regular foams.
I also discovered that my music streaming service is EQing by default, the highs were a bit piercing and it was hurting my ears so I checked the EQ option and found that it was not flat. I never noticed this until I got the TO200.

Just an update on my TO200. The sound definitely did change, a lot actually. From being veiled at the beginning it is now very detailed and it requires very low volume on my LG V20, just 15 is enough for some songs despite the high impedance.

By the way, thanks @HungryPanda for the recommendation!

What makes me wonder if burn in actually exist is that almost never ends up in a negative result, the sound alwyas end up where the person wants it to end up (more mass, less peaks, more airy), placebos exist and can be quite powerful, also how are makers able to tell if a headphone meet or is going to meet the quality standard if burn in was real?

@RodRevenge , after having this earphones for a few days, I'm definitely convinced burn-in does occur, although not for all earphones/cases as I also noticed no change in a pair of earphones I gifted my brother. And I'm still having some problems with the high's in this pair so I can't say that it "always end up where the person wants it to end up". I'm using EQ to balance things out and the TO200 does respond well. I also agree placebo exists.

As for how manufacturers know if the finished product is up to par they most likely rely on ensuring the quality of parts and workmanship and some random testing.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2018 at 7:17 AM Post #37,311 of 75,401
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/diy...ohms-32ohms-150ohms-TPE-wire/32801646835.html

Before, I purchased and liked "Diy SR2 PRO 16ohms Silver plated-wire" which uses the same driver, so I recommended this to everyone in this forum.
However, because I began to feel that the treble of this earbuds sounds too sharp and strong, I changed the connection to the copper wire cable of Shozy Cygnus. And it became a sound signature of V-Shaped which is sufficiently beautiful treble and strong bass, although this is Docomo/PK Shell type earbuds.
So I purchased the earbuds of "Diy SR2 16ohms TPE-wire" version which uses copper wire .
It is burned-in for only 20 hours yet (100 hours needed), but it has a similar sound signature.
I think this has the best V-Shaped sound among earbuds of 16ohms Docomo/PK Shell below 50usd.

I could purchase it at 12usd by negotiation to seller, I will recommend strongly this earbuds for 11/11.
As earPad I recommend you double Pads as to put the DounutsPad on the VE thin Pad.

(Before, I'm very sorry to those who purchased the "Diy SR2 PRO 16ohms Silver plated-wire".
But they can make sound similar by changing to connect to the copper cable like fengru.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/SUN...fever-headphone-unit-A8-style/1984665598.html)

Then you're sayin your opinions about a pair of DIY sr2 earbuds, but everything is after modding or placing more pads here and there..
But how do they sound at a stock status?
I mean i can make quite every headphone bassy by equalizing and modding but the stock status is the one which makes the grabbing decision or not.

Nov 7, 2018 at 7:57 AM Post #37,312 of 75,401
Then you're sayin your opinions about a pair of DIY sr2 earbuds, but everything is after modding or placing more pads here and there..
But how do they sound at a stock status?
I mean i can make quite every headphone bassy by equalizing and modding but the stock status is the one which makes the grabbing decision or not.

Do you mean that a stock status is naked earbuds?
If you hear naked DIY sr2, it will sound more sharp treble and more strong mid-bass than the status with pads.

Nov 7, 2018 at 7:58 AM Post #37,313 of 75,401
Not naked.
Stock single pads, flat equalizer, stock cable.

Nov 7, 2018 at 9:48 AM Post #37,317 of 75,401

Not sure I could buy from Chitty Store.

Nov 7, 2018 at 9:53 AM Post #37,318 of 75,401
Thank Cross Lambda Audio to make me a special Monk Lite Mod with his new, which is not officially launched, SPC Starlight project~.

Monk Lite SPC Starlight 01.png

Attachments

• Monk Lite SPC Starlight 01.png
    Monk Lite SPC Starlight 01.png
    566 KB · Views: 0
  • Monk Lite SPC Starlight 02.png
    Monk Lite SPC Starlight 02.png
    548.1 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back