Earbuds Round-Up
Oct 7, 2018 at 11:41 AM Post #36,227 of 75,148
The cable wraps?

We like these... we have 80 of them. When we bought the first 20 we thought that was all we would need. Then we bought another 20. Finally last month we bought a pack of 40... here they are. Bought from Amazon UK for £11.99 (the 40 pack). Still have a few spare...

I should mention that we use them for IEMs and for buds. They are good for thinner cables not really bulky ones.

10165211.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2018 at 12:01 PM Post #36,228 of 75,148
They have some here in Japan too, but with super strong magnets. I dismissed them seeing how strong that magnet was, fearing damage to the driver. It came with a nifty metal case though, so that the magnet would keep the earphones in place.

I much prefer those leather snap-button fasteners personally.

Here is what they look like -> http://www.e-earphone.jp/shop/shopdetail.html?brandcode=000000067597&search=zero&sort=price_desc

The real one "Mag-Hug" has high strength magnet (above N55 I believe). I own Four.
mag-hug.jpg

Oct 7, 2018 at 12:29 PM Post #36,229 of 75,148
Apologies in advance if this is a dumbass question, but is there a standard way all these earbud shells come apart to allow you to re-solder? Are you able to open and close the shells on all these earbuds without doing any damage?

Most earbud drivers consist of the speaker, attached to the plastic front piece, snapped or glued onto the front of the shell.
If much glue was used, the assembly will be difficult to remove, without damaging the front piece.
15-4mm-speaker-unit-earphone-driver-bass-vocal-1pair-2pcs.jpg

Oct 7, 2018 at 12:50 PM Post #36,230 of 75,148
Oct 7, 2018 at 1:18 PM Post #36,231 of 75,148
have you tried his PK16 yet?
Sorry, no plan to buy earbuds inferior to 32 ohms as both my sources seems to be too much sensitive for 16 ohms, and also the fact that I generally prefer 32+ for (generally) better sounding.
But from what I can read, it seems that PK16 seems to performs very well (maybe even slightly better for some?)

What other Willsounds that you have that you can compare?
I have the MK1 and Mk3 :)
I had MK1 rev2 in the past, and still own MK2 rev2 and PK32, they shares the same overall natural and transparent signature but to me they performs and sound all differently. PK32 is more "truth" to music and bass is surprisingly good for a PK shell.
I guess that PK32 should be more close to MK3 (that I never tried then) in term of sound signature.

Oct 7, 2018 at 2:30 PM Post #36,232 of 75,148
They have some here in Japan too, but with super strong magnets. I dismissed them seeing how strong that magnet was, fearing damage to the driver. It came with a nifty metal case though, so that the magnet would keep the earphones in place.

I much prefer those leather snap-button fasteners personally.

Here is what they look like -> http://www.e-earphone.jp/shop/shopdetail.html?brandcode=000000067597&search=zero&sort=price_desc

Been there, done that.

DSC_0156.jpg

Magnetic strength from modest (left) to strong (right). The only way the magnet on these thing can affect the earbuds is when you have music playing (when there is a magnetic field on the coil), otherwise it is pretty safe. The one of the right side is by far my favorite as it serves duo purposes, as cable organizer as well as shirt clip (* by passing the headphone plug into the middle opening, it will stay on the cable and the magnet can be used to 'clip' onto the shirt).

Apologies in advance if this is a dumbass question, but is there a standard way all these earbud shells come apart to allow you to re-solder? Are you able to open and close the shells on all these earbuds without doing any damage?

Most earbuds are glued together between the front grill and the back chamber, which is where the first step of dissembling (*prying) begins. Once you taken it apart, it is just a matter of removing old cable and cleaning up the housing for a new cable to go in. Old earbuds are generally easy to do as the glue usually has perished to some degree. There are also cases where no glue is used and the whole thing just snapped together when made. Note that Soldering needs to be fast and with as little heat transfer as possible as coil wire are very fragile things.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2018 at 4:21 PM Post #36,234 of 75,148
Oct 7, 2018 at 9:26 PM Post #36,237 of 75,148
Moondrop liebesleid is a detachable cable earbud??? :O

Yes. If you have it, be sure to try it.
You will never regret it.

Cool mod! Did you do it?

Yes.
I bought two and used one as it was, and one tried to renovate it.
The result was more than i expected.
All of the performance has improved with the entry-level wagnus cable.
I will look for a better cable.
For the best chemistry

If that's a mod it's absolutely fantastic because the connector and shell look all one piece. It's gonna change the tuning though unless the original stem was made completely airtight by the cable...

absolutely fantastic...Itself
Focal Utopia Version The Red Dragon will soon be available for completion, but the potential of a good unit of detachable is enormous.

Oct 8, 2018 at 4:06 PM Post #36,240 of 75,148
@seanc6441 : I just received today my 200 ali foams ! :)
After checking them one by one, approx 70% directly goes to my trash as they were absolutely not usable (holes not in center at all, damaged, badly cutted, etc).
After washing the good ones, I can see the benefit: they sound a bit like VE extreme thin foams but brings a slight more thickness. They are between my VE foams and ABnormal ones, which is good. Currently trying them on my WIllsound MK2 rev2.
Thanks for the discover!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back