Earbuds Round-Up
Jul 14, 2018 at 3:46 PM Post #32,987 of 75,439
I have the Monk+ and Monk Lite, thinking about messing with the Monk+ but I doubt theres much you can do with such a dark sound sig

I love the sound of both the Monk + (64 ohm) and the Monk Lite (I have the 40 ohm and the 120 ohm). I think my Zen Lite is 300 ohm. Love them all... and others in my list... even some really cheap ones. I easily adjust to most sound signatures. The only thing I don't like is if something is too bright or fatiguing. I get listener fatigue easily. I always have silent parts of my day.

The Monk Plus likes to be amped. Most things will benefit from amping.

Jul 14, 2018 at 3:54 PM Post #32,988 of 75,439
I love the sound of both the Monk + (64 ohm) and the Monk Lite (I have the 40 ohm and the 120 ohm). I think my Zen Lite is 300 ohm. Love them all... and others in my list... even some really cheap ones. I easily adjust to most sound signatures. The only thing I don't like is if something is too bright or fatiguing. I get listener fatigue easily. I always have silent parts of my day.

The Monk Plus likes to be amped. Most things will benefit from amping.

Yeah I cant stand fatiguing and bright sound signatures either, I also agree that the Monk+ is nice and while I too enjoy diversity in sound signatures, there is just that one sound signature that just clicks, for me it was the Focal Elear; it just sounded right

Jul 14, 2018 at 4:45 PM Post #32,990 of 75,439
A metal pk shell should be the easiest to make as you only need to make a mold and just cast it.
Lamia Manee is probably using lost wax casting, which is used in jewelry making and suitable for low volume manufacturing as they are doing. For high volume, injection molding would be used, but tooling for the molds is very expensive. Obviously molds already exist for PK shell plastic injection molding, but someone would have to step up to making molds for metal injection.

I wonder how other materials fare tho, like wood
For complex 3D shapes (such as PK shell), CNC manufacturing can be used (also for metal, but there are cheaper options for metal).

Jul 14, 2018 at 4:49 PM Post #32,991 of 75,439
Lamia Manee is probably using lost wax casting, which is used in jewelry making and suitable for low volume manufacturing as they are doing. For high volume, injection molding would be used, but tooling for the molds is very expensive. Obviously molds already exist for PK shell plastic injection molding, but someone would have to step up to making molds for metal injection.

For complex 3D shapes (such as PK shell), CNC manufacturing can be used (also for metal, but there are cheaper options for metal).

I had an idea about how to make them and have access to the required tools, a forge and a CNC machine, just wondered what the best material would be, while metal is more premium feeling , wood could be comfier i think

Jul 14, 2018 at 5:20 PM Post #32,992 of 75,439
I had an idea about how to make them and have access to the required tools, a forge and a CNC machine, just wondered what the best material would be, while metal is more premium feeling , wood could be comfier i think
I think the brass in my ling has really cool vibration properties and may even have harmonic resonance benefits although I cannot be sure about the latter. I wonder how other metals would fair. Anything that's used in instruments surely has some value acoustically!

Personally if it's not a full size can I don't see wood being particularly beneficial aesthetics wise as the wood tends to look it's best when you see the full grain or have larger surfaces. For instance looking gorgeous in grado or audeze headphones or some closed backs, but never really applied much to IEM or earbuds.

Just my opinion of course.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2018 at 5:23 PM Post #32,993 of 75,439
I think the brass in my ling has really cool vibration properties and may even have harmonic resonance benefits although I cannot be sure about the latter. I wonder how other metals would fair. Anything that's used in instruments surely has some value acoustically!

Personally if it's not a full size can I don't see wood being particularly beneficial aesthetics wise as the wood tends to look it's best when you see the full grain or have larger surfaces. For instance looking gorgeous in grado or audeze headphones or some closed backs, but never really applied much to IEM or earbuds.

Just my opinion of course.

I agree with you on the looks, but I thought about wood because its lighter than metal so more comfort and the acoustic properties

Jul 14, 2018 at 5:41 PM Post #32,994 of 75,439
As I already have Zen 2 the LL’s were a freebie that Lee was offering to Zen 2 owners last month. I’m finding the Monk+ thin foams sound good on the LL

Do you have any Blur earbuds, from Wong Kuan Wae?
Can you give a quick comparison of the Zen 2, and the Blur?
Thanks!

Jul 14, 2018 at 6:20 PM Post #32,995 of 75,439
Wooden earbuds I hear you say?
20180714_231843_HDR[1].jpg

Jul 14, 2018 at 6:47 PM Post #32,997 of 75,439
Surprised to find that I like the Zen LL better than the Zen L or the ZOE. :thinking: They just have a fun sound with big bass that is great for cheesy summer pop songs.

@DBaldock9 I ran through some test tracks with the K's Samsara, 500 and 600........ I have a few pages of notes on them, but still need to put into a coherent post.

Jul 14, 2018 at 6:52 PM Post #32,998 of 75,439
The YinMan 150's are actually ok, don't have the widest sound stage but got that nice thick wooden bass, enjoying listening to Stevie Nicks with them right now

Jul 14, 2018 at 7:00 PM Post #32,999 of 75,439
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back