Earbuds Round-Up
Jul 14, 2018 at 8:33 PM Post #33,002 of 75,449
Jul 14, 2018 at 8:48 PM Post #33,003 of 75,449
The yinman 600 is great. Even though i don't own them, it is one of my favorite earbuds I've heard
Really? Is it the signature or price to performance, how good we talking?

Actually don't tell me I don't need more earbuds haha, but please do tell me :)

Jul 14, 2018 at 10:04 PM Post #33,004 of 75,449
Really? Is it the signature or price to performance, how good we talking?

Actually don't tell me I don't need more earbuds haha, but please do tell me :)

so should i tell you or not? :jecklinsmile::jecklinsmile:

well, it has enough amount of everything and nice resolution. the only concern i have with them is because someone post a picture of it shell shattering, so i'm a bit wary about the built. although to be fair, my friend's unit is fine. the closest sounding buds that i have which have somewhat similar sound quality and signature is my puresound ps100-500

Jul 14, 2018 at 10:55 PM Post #33,005 of 75,449
The yinman 600 is great. Even though i don't own them, it is one of my favorite earbuds I've heard

Sorry for going off-topic, but I'm new here.

My question is. is that I'm seeing higher impedance numbers with better earbuds 200-300-600 ohms and I'm just wondering what you're using to drive these higher impedance earphones?

I've got a old iPod Gen. 4, so I'm going to guess I need to keep things down in that 10-30 ohm range, correct? I'm a HiFi guy and understand impedance matching, but I'm still green with it comes to DAPs and IEM/EBs.

I'm just getting started with 'OK' earbuds and IEMs for now and I'm in that <$50 range, but still see higher numbers in some of the medium priced range.

Thanks, Chris

Jul 15, 2018 at 12:10 AM Post #33,006 of 75,449

My question is. is that I'm seeing higher impedance numbers with better earbuds 200-300-600 ohms and I'm just wondering what you're using to drive these higher impedance earphones?

I've got a old iPod Gen. 4, so I'm going to guess I need to keep things down in that 10-30 ohm range, correct? I'm a HiFi guy and understand impedance matching, but I'm still green with it comes to DAPs and IEM/EBs.

I'm just getting started with 'OK' earbuds and IEMs for now and I'm in that <$50 range, but still see higher numbers in some of the medium priced range.

Thanks, Chris

some high impedance earbuds that's sensitive enough have no problem played even direct from phones,while some would not have enough gain, or even if they do have enough volume might sound dull and muddy (underpowered). the last two scenarios definitely needs amping, and preferably ones with high gain capability (for the latter scenario).

i don't really like lugging an amp around, so i prefer low impedance and high impedance earphones that are still "direct from phone" friendly

Jul 15, 2018 at 2:50 AM Post #33,007 of 75,449
Has any tried the anniversary red/blue **** PT15s? Curious how they are compared to the original PT15s

Jul 15, 2018 at 3:41 AM Post #33,008 of 75,449
Do you have any Blur earbuds, from Wong Kuan Wae?
Can you give a quick comparison of the Zen 2, and the Blur?
Thanks!
You might want to take a look :wink:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/blur-earbuds-lovers.884062/

I have the White Chocolate - 150ohm (2.5 trrs) Zen 2 - 3.5se. It’s a lot easier to drive than the Zen 2 for a start. I personally love the Zen, they were my first higher-end bud, however, I think the Blurs are a step up. It may not be a massive step, but they do everything that the Zen does, only with a bit more of everything! Bass is definitely more in all departments, mids are very similarly articulate and detailed, treble is again crisp, pleasing to listen to and never sibilant. Soundstage is airey, detailed and easy to pick out instruments, slightly better than Zen.
However there is a 50% price difference between the two, but you are already aware of that.
Overall I’d say that the Blur has toppled the old king. Long live the king!

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2018 at 7:59 AM Post #33,010 of 75,449

Thanks, Chris
I'd say you'd be safe with anything under 60 ohm to be sure your phone can drive them.

The Willsound range excluding the 300ohm variant are all around 16-32 ohm and sound excellent for the price. Cost is around $30-40 for the MK and PK series.

There's a new PK16 coming out that's a lower impendance clone to the PK32 but I doubt your phone would have an issue driving either.

Depending on your preferences for sound signature and music you enjoy people will recommend you diffferent buds in the Willsound range or otherwise.

So what's your preferences for sound?

Jul 15, 2018 at 8:54 AM Post #33,011 of 75,449
I'd say you'd be safe with anything under 60 ohm to be sure your phone can drive them.

The Willsound range excluding the 300ohm variant are all around 16-32 ohm and sound excellent for the price. Cost is around $30-40 for the MK and PK series.

There's a new PK16 coming out that's a lower impendance clone to the PK32 but I doubt your phone would have an issue driving either.

Depending on your preferences for sound signature and music you enjoy people will recommend you diffferent buds in the Willsound range or otherwise.

So what's your preferences for sound?

Thanks Sean,

For the record, it's an iPod 4th gen. player and not a phone yet. May pick up a used iPhone 5s as a standalone player, but for now the iPod will have to suffice.

I've got 53 entire classic Jazz albums on it--everything from Miles, to Mitchel to Evans. I've got lots stuff in between from Mogwai to The Cure and some classical, so I'm over the map.

I don't expect decent sound coming from iTunes and the iPod, but my question, I guess, was meant more to tackle the impedance matching, having seen some really high numbers.

My buddy, who is also a regular HiFi tube/horn guy, has the LG V30 just for the MQA streaming and he's waiting on some CA Lyra IIs to be delivered, but he mentioned staying around 20 ohms, or below.

600 isn't in the same solar system, lol.

Chris

Jul 15, 2018 at 9:21 AM Post #33,012 of 75,449
Thanks Sean,

For the record, it's an iPod 4th gen. player and not a phone yet. May pick up a used iPhone 5s as a standalone player, but for now the iPod will have to suffice.

I've got 53 entire classic Jazz albums on it--everything from Miles, to Mitchel to Evans. I've got lots stuff in between from Mogwai to The Cure and some classical, so I'm over the map.

I don't expect decent sound coming from iTunes and the iPod, but my question, I guess, was meant more to tackle the impedance matching, having seen some really high numbers.

My buddy, who is also a regular HiFi tube/horn guy, has the LG V30 just for the MQA streaming and he's waiting on some CA Lyra IIs to be delivered, but he mentioned staying around 20 ohms, or below.

600 isn't in the same solar system, lol.

Chris
Well if you are in the market for a player in the future I absolutely recommend a used LG V20 paired with any of the best audio apps like UAPP for like $180. Amazing audio (same dac/amp as the V30 minus the DSP/software tweak settings) in which you can power most earbuds up to 300 ohm easily. Absolutely love my V20 so much so that I tried and moved on a ~$400 Cayin N5ii and a ~$550 Hiby R6 because to my ears the V20 was more pleasant overall albeit edging towards a brighter tonality (which I like).

I also recommend the Willsounds for your Ipod, if you use the search function on top you can isolate posts on here about the willsounds mk and pk series and see if any of them appeal to you :)

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2018 at 11:01 AM Post #33,013 of 75,449
You might want to take a look :wink:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/blur-earbuds-lovers.884062/

I have the White Chocolate - 150ohm (2.5 trrs) Zen 2 - 3.5se. It’s a lot easier to drive than the Zen 2 for a start. I personally love the Zen, they were my first higher-end bud, however, I think the Blurs are a step up. It may not be a massive step, but they do everything that the Zen does, only with a bit more of everything! Bass is definitely more in all departments, mids are very similarly articulate and detailed, treble is again crisp, pleasing to listen to and never sibilant. Soundstage is airey, detailed and easy to pick out instruments, slightly better than Zen.
However there is a 50% price difference between the two, but you are already aware of that.
Overall I’d say that the Blur has toppled the old king. Long live the king!

Thanks!
I've subscribed to that Thread, and I have pages & pages of Facebook Personal Messages with Wong, dating back more than a year.
He has not listened to the VE Zen 2 Zoe, to be able to give me a reference comparison with his newer earbuds.
Looks like there's a 150Ω hALF/hALF on it's way to me - as my new TOTL earbud. :ksc75smile:

Jul 15, 2018 at 11:47 AM Post #33,014 of 75,449
Thanks!
I've subscribed to that Thread, and I have pages & pages of Facebook Personal Messages with Wong, dating back more than a year.
He has not listened to the VE Zen 2 Zoe, to be able to give me a reference comparison with his newer earbuds.
Looks like there's a 150Ω hALF/hALF on it's way to me - as my new TOTL earbud. :ksc75smile:
I don’t think you’ll be disappointed both my pairs of Blur’s are great sounding and worth every penny imho.

Jul 15, 2018 at 11:02 PM Post #33,015 of 75,449
@redkingjoe :

Disc Player : May I know what is the top5? Is there any present new model available to buy?
:fingers_crossed:

B5B95AFD-CA96-4B99-8D2F-38CFF535C013.jpeg

I suddenly dig out a portable CD player from my storeroom.

It’s one of the best, definitely a top 10 in history of discman. It’s very rare with remote control, sea equaliser, rca out, Rechargeable batteries etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back